Opinion of these online comments about West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:24:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of these online comments about West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Opinion:
Freedom Comments

Horrible Comments

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of these online comments about West Virginia  (Read 4333 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2016, 12:11:03 AM »

Not really. If you tried making fun of Florida with the same lack of any skill in comedy whatsoever and beat that dead horse for this long, people would want you to stop. Frankly, it doesn't matter what state you would theoretically be posting about; it'd still be unbearable.

The equivalent would be if a random poster made a "Florida Man" joke and a rabid gang of posters attacked them for being a sexist bigot who hates Southerners and men. Then they made another similar joke a month or so later and said gang dogpiled them again. Because again, the insane overreactions and pearl clutching predated the frequency of the bashing.

If someone made a "Florida Man" account that contributed nothing of substance and only posted in extreme caricatures of notorious people from Florida with zero subtley and no wit or humor and people complained about it, it wouldn't be because they love Florida so much. The actual FloridaMan Twitter account is dedicated to profiling actual news stories about crazy things that happen in Florida. The equivalent would be profiling actual stories that show racism in West Virginia. Although if you did do so, people would still likely find it lame because it really doesn't prove anything and is basically a Hitler Ate Sugar sort of fallacy, and would be the same thing as how px75 feels the need to chronicle every single stupid comment made by a Republican who sits on a Soil and Water Board of Commissioners or every time some "Bernie Bro" on Reddit or Twitter said something stupid. Or actually for an even better example how old time poster CARLHAYDEN a few years back effectively ran a human RSS feed of stories about illegal immigrants committing crimes.

But you're missing the point again. That would only be equivalent if, going further from my example, said poster only created that Florida Man persona to get under the skin of the self appointed Florida Defense Force that jumped down their throat whenever they would make a random joke about or insult Florida every once in a while. Again, the insane overreactions and pearl clutching predated both the forum persona AND the frequency of the bashing.

As for whether or not the persona was funny, well, you know what they say. An opinion is like an asshole. I have it on good authority that at least some people found it funny, considering it got multiple positive responses in that poll you made (or was it Wulfric? I forget, it was somebody from Minnesota) as well as through multiple PMs from people who likely didn't want to go against the Atlas hive mind. Considering you think Sneakers O'Toole is the epitome of comedic genius, I guess we just have very different senses of humor. Wink

Btw, many of the people who claim to be annoyed solely because "it's unfunny and annoying, not because I like WV" are actually just WV fetishists who don't want to prove my point by admitting that's the reason they're butthurt about it.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2016, 01:10:54 AM »

I've never even been to WV, so...
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »

West Virginia is so racist that  the state's two historically black colleges are overwhelmingly white

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historically_black_colleges_and_universities

so, they took the university from the black man and people in West Virginia don't even go to college.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bac_deg_or_hig_by_per-bachelor-s-degree-higher-percentage

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »

West Virginia is so racist that  the state's two historically black colleges are overwhelmingly white

so, they took the university from the black man and people in West Virginia don't even go to college.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bac_deg_or_hig_by_per-bachelor-s-degree-higher-percentage

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that WV is overwhelmingly white.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that WV is overwhelmingly white.

Well yeah, since the white man took their colleges away.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2016, 05:07:37 AM »

Only one person got what they wanted out of this thread at his name is IcyPeers.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2016, 08:57:33 AM »

Well I already disliked the state long before she even announced her candidacy, much less lost the state. And I also started prodding at the forum's WV fetish long before she lost the state. So your hypothesis is void. Tongue

I never felt positively about WV, I've been there quite a few times and many areas of the state are like dystopian wastelands. I started to dislike it even more when they showed their true colors by nearly supporting a felon/prison inmate over a the incumbent black president. Since then my opinion of them has only gotten lower and lower. The undeserved love it gets from the forum, especially the "progressives", is particularly offensive.

You put "progressives" in quotes as if a requirement of being a progressive is hating West Virginia.  For 's sake, it used to damn near be the opposite.

As for "defending" the state, I've never been to WV or NH and have zero desire to change that, other than maybe a desire to say I've been to all 50 states someday, and the only reason I'd ever *defend* either one would be if there were these insanely annoying tools who spent every waking moment hating on states that seemingly wouldn't cross many people's minds very often, much less several times a week!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »

Well I already disliked the state long before she even announced her candidacy, much less lost the state. And I also started prodding at the forum's WV fetish long before she lost the state. So your hypothesis is void. Tongue

I never felt positively about WV, I've been there quite a few times and many areas of the state are like dystopian wastelands. I started to dislike it even more when they showed their true colors by nearly supporting a felon/prison inmate over a the incumbent black president. Since then my opinion of them has only gotten lower and lower. The undeserved love it gets from the forum, especially the "progressives", is particularly offensive.

You put "progressives" in quotes as if a requirement of being a progressive is hating West Virginia.  For 's sake, it used to damn near be the opposite.

As for "defending" the state, I've never been to WV or NH and have zero desire to change that, other than maybe a desire to say I've been to all 50 states someday, and the only reason I'd ever *defend* either one would be if there were these insanely annoying tools who spent every waking moment hating on states that seemingly wouldn't cross many people's minds very often, much less several times a week!

Hating racists and other bigots is a requirement for being a progressive in the 21st century. There exists a strain of thought where racists and other bigots should be pandered to by the left because they might be "populists" (even though usually they're just generic right wingers) which I'm sure you're aware of. That line of thought is unacceptable in my eyes.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2016, 06:17:10 PM »

You put "progressives" in quotes as if a requirement of being a progressive is hating West Virginia.  For 's sake, it used to damn near be the opposite.

Hating racists and other bigots is a requirement for being a progressive in the 21st century. There exists a strain of thought where racists and other bigots should be pandered to by the left because they might be "populists" (even though usually they're just generic right wingers) which I'm sure you're aware of. That line of thought is unacceptable in my eyes.

I didn't think hating any group was part of the progressive movement. It used to be about not hating. OTOH progressives might certainly ostracize groups that held back progressive ideals, groups like racists and other bigots. I don't think ostracism is the same as hate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »

Hatred of anyone should not be a requirement for anything.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »

This is weird and obsessive and not in a good way. Let it go.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:46 AM »

What is with you and West Virginia?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »

I don't see what's so hard to understand that for most people this is like TNVolunteer and New Hampshire or jfern and Hillary Clinton. There are many many people here who don't particularly like Hillary but still find jfern to be an unsufferably annoying sh!tposter because of her huge hang ups about her. Similarly NH isn't really a popular state (it's generally seen as having the negative stereotypes about Massachusetts but none of the positive ones), but that doesn't mean most people find TN's bizarre hateboner for it to also be an insufferably annoying thing.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »

Posting random internet comment doesn't seem like a particularly scientific exercise.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2016, 10:00:04 AM »

I don't see what's so hard to understand that for most people this is like TNVolunteer and New Hampshire or jfern and Hillary Clinton. There are many many people here who don't particularly like Hillary but still find jfern to be an unsufferably annoying sh!tposter because of her huge hang ups about her. Similarly NH isn't really a popular state (it's generally seen as having the negative stereotypes about Massachusetts but none of the positive ones), but that doesn't mean most people find TN's bizarre hateboner for it to also be an insufferably annoying thing.

This.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »

Trust me, as somebody who goes to New Hampshire every weekend, I can confirm that it's basically the Alabama of the north. Does that mean that I'm okay with TNVolunteer constantly bringing it up and thinking that he understands everything about the state's politics because muh angry women? No, of course not. It's the same situation with WV. I don't like it; I've never been there, I probably never will be there, and I don't think I'd like it there. But that doesn't mean that I'll accept your constant sh-tposting about West Virginia.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »

BRTD, I'm not the one who is obessed with NH, it's the media pundits and Atlas posters who are. Every election cycle we have to hear stuff like "OMG WATCH OUT FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE!", "OMG WHY IS NEW HAMPSHIRE SO INDEPENDENT AND ELASTIC!", "IF JEANNE SHAHEEN WINS, DEMOCRATS WILL HOLD THE SENATE!11!", "NH IS THE ONLY ULTIMATE BELLWETHER!!1!", blah blah.
Just because there are many registered "Independents" in NH, that doesn't mean that they are really Independent - in fact, most of them are just closeted partisans. We all know how those cretins vote when it's a White woman that is running against a man, for example. I'd be fine with the state if they just admitted to being a solid blue sexist racist state, but it gets on my nerves when they act as some enlightened Independent ultra-turbo-mega-elastic heaven that is setting the tone for the primaries and the direction of the country. The only good thing NH has done is shattering the myth of White supremacy once and for all.

I do not want people like Ann Kuster, Bob Smith, Jeanne Shaheen or Maggie Hassan to decide control of Congress or even the presidency (like in 2000). It disgusts me!

This is the first time I've laughed at one of your posts on this matter. Keep this up.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »

BRTD, I'm not the one who is obessed with NH, it's the media pundits and Atlas posters who are. Every election cycle we have to hear stuff like "OMG WATCH OUT FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE!", "OMG WHY IS NEW HAMPSHIRE SO INDEPENDENT AND ELASTIC!", "IF JEANNE SHAHEEN WINS, DEMOCRATS WILL HOLD THE SENATE!11!", "NH IS THE ONLY ULTIMATE BELLWETHER!!1!", blah blah.
Just because there are many registered "Independents" in NH, that doesn't mean that they are really Independent - in fact, most of them are just closeted partisans. We all know how those cretins vote when it's a White woman that is running against a man, for example. I'd be fine with the state if they just admitted to being a solid blue sexist racist state, but it gets on my nerves when they act as some enlightened Independent ultra-turbo-mega-elastic heaven that is setting the tone for the primaries and the direction of the country. The only good thing NH has done is shattering the myth of White supremacy once and for all.

I do not want people like Ann Kuster, Bob Smith, Jeanne Shaheen or Maggie Hassan to decide control of Congress or even the presidency (like in 2000). It disgusts me!

#triggered
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2016, 10:49:44 PM »

I'm gonna die.
DS0816
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2016, 06:29:19 PM »

Having read that people like to insult the state of New Hampshire and the state of West Virginia, perhaps a big part of the remaining 14/15 weeks of Election 2016—leading up to Election Day on November 8, 2016—should be spent with tribute threads insulting all the rest of the 50 states (plus District of Columbia) which are these United States of America.

Do three per week.

Please start next week [Sunday, 07.10.2016] with my home state Michigan. Write about what a corrupt POS the governor is—and what a--holes the state's voters were for giving him one, let alone two, terms. Write about how Detroit still looks like a bomb hit it. Write about Ann Arbor being an overrated cesspool of college losers. Write about the upper peninsula being ripe for those who arrived at the end of their lives and are seeking a somewhat-appealing-enough-looking environment to isolate and end themselves once and for all.

I look forward to these assessments on all the states—the ones I've visited; the ones I've avoided.

The one state I most personally look forward to seeing get trashed is that ugly hell named Hawaii. Oh, my, goodness—what a horror it is!
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2016, 06:49:17 PM »

Having read that people like to insult the state of New Hampshire and the state of West Virginia, perhaps a big part of the remaining 14/15 weeks of Election 2016—leading up to Election Day on November 8, 2016—should be spent with tribute threads insulting all the rest of the 50 states (plus District of Columbia) which are these United States of America.

Do three per week.

Please start next week [Sunday, 07.10.2016] with my home state Michigan. Write about what a corrupt POS the governor is—and what a--holes the state's voters were for giving him one, let alone two, terms. Write about how Detroit still looks like a bomb hit it. Write about Ann Arbor being an overrated cesspool of college losers. Write about the upper peninsula being ripe for those who arrived at the end of their lives and are seeking a somewhat-appealing-enough-looking environment to isolate and end themselves once and for all.

I look forward to these assessments on all the states—the ones I've visited; the ones I've avoided.

The one state I most personally look forward to seeing get trashed is that ugly hell named Hawaii. Oh, my, goodness—what a horror it is!

Seconded.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2016, 07:02:33 PM »

So New Hampshire, West Virginia, and Hawaii are already taken. Who wants the other 47 states?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »

I'd be willing to go for any state.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies