Hillary is running ads in Indiana!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary is running ads in Indiana!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary is running ads in Indiana!  (Read 1306 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »

Actually, someone with more of a knowledge of broadcasting might be able to clarify this.  I have Direct TV and live in Indianapolis.  I assume cable network ad buys are market-specific, right?

Anyway, an ad about her career fight for healthcare just ran.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »

Hillary won't win Indiana. She my be able to help John Gregg win though.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »

Hillary won't win Indiana. She my be able to help John Gregg win though.

Hillary will hurt John Gregg's chances more than help them.  John Gregg will win on Pence's negatives.  And possibly Trump's negatives.

Hillary is engaging in a 50-state strategy.  Which makes sense.  As far as the Electoral Vote is concerned, she pretty much has Trump on the ropes.  There's no path to electoral victory Trump can spend his way to that doesn't expose another path for Clinton.  And if it does end up being a 10-point victory for Clinton, these dollars spent in places like Indiana could yield some pleasant surprises.

And while it won't help Gregg, it might help Democrats establish themselves on the ground, and maybe the Bernie movement unseat Republicans in close districts (2nd, 8th, 9th) in 2018.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

It could be a national ad buy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »

Might as well spend some of that mountain of cash while Trump is spending his own on paying rent to himself.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 10:37:16 PM »

Just put ads in any state where you're not down by 10 points.

She could pick up a fair share of votes despite losing deep red states.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 10:47:46 PM »

On what channels?  DirecTV isn't very good at running local (or even state) ads on most of their networks - unless you're watching the ads on a local over-the-air channel or a regional sports network, it's probably a national ad.  Unlike cable, most DirecTV ad spots are national.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »

It would take a tsunami to flip Indiana, but maybe the Clinton camp isn't ruling that out...
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 12:34:41 AM »

DirectTV does demographically targeted ads, so it was probably a national ad buy.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 02:31:41 AM »

Or maybe wave insurance.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 05:18:04 AM »

Barack Obama largely avoided Indiana in 2012. He might have hurt the Senate candidate for the Democratic Party, someone running what looked as if it could be a tough race.  Obama was more intent on getting a Senate ally than winning the 11 electoral votes of Indiana

If she can at all help the Democratic nominee for Senate or win a House seat or two  in Indiana, then Hillary Clinton will run ads in Indiana.

In a way, Indiana does swing: Democrats typically win when they are losing Indiana by 12% or less, but otherwise lose. If Indiana is even on the fringe of competitiveness, then the Democratic nominee for President is winning nationally. Indiana is a D win around the 370th to 400th electoral vote for a Democrat. If she has Indiana in range, then she has won Ohio, which ranges from about the 280th  to the 320th electoral vote for a Democrat. 

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 05:33:50 AM »

This is silly. We know the people of Indiana LOVE Trump and HATE Hillary.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 05:58:14 AM »

It's a rural-urban divide. Rural Hoosiers love Trump and despise just about any Democrat. Urban Hoosiers see through Donald Trump and tolerate Hillary Clinton.

Indiana is much like Illinois without Cook and Lake Counties in its distribution of liberals and conservatives. What passes as fairly-large cities (Rockford, Peoria, Springfield, and the Illinois half of the Quad Cities) add up to roughly Indianapolis;   both states have their liberal college towns like Bloomington (either state), Champaign, or West Lafayette; both  states have urban wrecks of industrial suburbs essentially as overflows from neighboring states (East St. Louis, Gary-Hammond). Otherwise, Indiana and "Southern Illinois" are basically much the same.   
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »

HFA's IN State Director is a 22 year old who was most recently employed as a field organizer (lowest paid position) in IN for the primary. Let's not get too excited, folks.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »

Where's RR1997?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2016, 10:12:45 PM by RR1997 »

Where's RR1997?

Right here Wink

Let me say this again. Hillary will not win Indiana.You guys are forgetting about angry Indiana men. Angry Indiana men will never vote for a female. Indiana is one of the most racist and sexist state in the country. If Donald Trump said the word "ni**er" in a speech, he'd crack 60% of the vote in Indiana. Donald Trump is the perfect fit for Indiana. Donald Trump is Indiana personified. Indiana loved Donald Trump's populist, anti-PC and isolationist message.

Keep in mind that I predicted that Donald Trump/Bernie Sanders would win Indiana nearly 3 months before the IN primary. I remember when everyone thought that lyin' Ted /Hillary Clinton would win Indiana loooool. Everyone on Atlas predicted a Hillary victory in Indiana except for me. I was the only one that predicted a Bernie victory in this state, and I was absolutely correct. Bernie won Indiana because of all the angry men that live in the state. Angry Indiana men decided to vote for a fellow old angry male (Bernie) by a large margin. Keep in mind that the gender gap was pretty large in this state, according to the exit polls. Bernie's populist message played well with Indiana voters. I also remember when everyone thought that lyin' Ted would win Indiana, except for me. I knew that Donald Trump would win this state.

Hillary will not win Indiana. She will win NC, AZ, GA, SC, NE-02, MO, MT, and maybe even ND, SD, and MS before she wins Indiana. Bernie could've possibly won Indiana, but Hillary certainly won't. Hillary shouldn't spend a dime on advertisements in this state. If she runs ads in Indiana, she might as well run ads in Wyoming and Oklahoma.

Angry Indiana men is actually a real phenomenon (unlike angry NH women).

Indiana is Donald Trump territory.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 09:52:27 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2016, 09:55:29 PM by a.scott »

I believe it was Tmth who said the only reasons Obama won Indiana in 2008 were 1. the Chicago media market that spans into Gary/other population centers, and 2. McCain gave zero attention to the state whereas Obama did and had more to invest there.  I think Trump should win by a comfortable margin here, but I do expect a substantial D swing from 2012.

Then again, my impression of Hoosier voters is that they generally dislike showy candidates, so in a good year, it could possibly go to Hillary by a few points.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 10:13:12 PM »

Where's RR1997?

Right here Wink

Let me say this again. Hillary will not win Indiana.You guys are forgetting about angry Indiana men. Angry Indiana men will never vote for a female. Indiana is the most racist and sexist state in the country (even more so than West Virginia). If Donald Trump said the word "ni**er" in a speech, he'd crack 60% of the vote in Indiana. Indiana is KKK country. Donald Trump is the perfect fit for Indiana. Donald Trump is Indiana personified. Indiana loved Donald Trump's populist, anti-PC and isolationist message.

Keep in mind that I predicted that Donald Trump/Bernie Sanders would win Indiana nearly 3 months before the IN primary. I remember when everyone thought that lyin' Ted /Hillary Clinton would win Indiana loooool. Everyone on Atlas predicted a Hillary victory in Indiana except for me. I was the only one that predicted a Bernie victory in this state, and I was absolutely correct. Bernie won Indiana because of all the angry men that live in the state. Angry Indiana men decided to vote for a fellow old angry male (Bernie) by a large margin. Keep in mind that the gender gap was pretty large in this state, according to the exit polls. Bernie's populist message played well with Indiana voters. I also remember when everyone thought that lyin' Ted would win Indiana, except for me. I knew that Donald Trump would win this state.

Hillary will not win Indiana. She will win NC, AZ, GA, SC, NE-02, MO, MT, and maybe even ND, SD, and MS before she wins Indiana. Bernie could've possibly won Indiana, but Hillary certainly won't. Hillary shouldn't spend a dime on advertisements in this state. If she runs ads in Indiana, she might as well run ads in Wyoming and Oklahoma.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

I bolded where you officially jumped the shark. No state could possibly outdo racist WV hicks. Wink
RR1997
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »

Ok, the "angry Indiana men" thing is obviously a joke, but at least it's more valid than "angry NH women" meme.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 10:42:53 PM »

It's a rural-urban divide. Rural Hoosiers love Trump and despise just about any Democrat. Urban Hoosiers see through Donald Trump and tolerate Hillary Clinton.

Indiana is much like Illinois without Cook and Lake Counties in its distribution of liberals and conservatives. What passes as fairly-large cities (Rockford, Peoria, Springfield, and the Illinois half of the Quad Cities) add up to roughly Indianapolis;   both states have their liberal college towns like Bloomington (either state), Champaign, or West Lafayette; both  states have urban wrecks of industrial suburbs essentially as overflows from neighboring states (East St. Louis, Gary-Hammond). Otherwise, Indiana and "Southern Illinois" are basically much the same.   
Bloomington, Illinois, is not that liberal of a city. ISU isn't that big or liberal, and the city is dominated more by the headquarters of State Farm than anything else.

And lumping all the 100 Illinois counties not named Cook or Lake together as "Southern Illinois" is a little bit of a stretch.

But I'd agree with the bulk of your argument.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 01:25:42 AM »

Ok, the "angry Indiana men" thing is obviously a joke, but at least it's more valid than "angry NH women" meme.

There is data to back this up, though.

I didn't know your posts now qualify as "data." Tongue
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 01:30:01 AM »

Uh, excuse me, how do you counter this smoking gun?!?

RR1997
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 06:33:40 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2016, 08:31:59 AM by RR1997 »

Where's RR1997?

Right here Wink

Let me say this again. Hillary will not win Indiana.You guys are forgetting about angry Indiana men. Angry Indiana men will never vote for a female. Indiana is one of the most racist and sexist state in the country. If Donald Trump said the word "ni**er" in a speech, he'd crack 60% of the vote in Indiana. Donald Trump is the perfect fit for Indiana. Donald Trump is Indiana personified. Indiana loved Donald Trump's populist, anti-PC and isolationist message.

LOL, I laughed so hard. This was good.

There is more data to back up the "angry IN men" phenomenon than the "angry NH women" one.

IIRC, you predicted that Hillary would win the the NH primaries (despite the fact that most polls showed Bernie in the lead) because of all the angry women that live in the state. You turned out to be wrong. Why didn't the angry women propel Hillary to victory in NH?

Before the Indiana primary, most polling showed Hillary with the comfortable lead. IIRC, I was the only one on this forum that predicted a Bernie victory in IN due to all the angry men that live in the state. I was right and everyone else was wrong. Bernie is the perfect fit for Indiana. Bernie also won males overwhelmingly (according to exit polls), just like I predicted.

There is indeed data to back up the "angry IN men" phenomenon Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies