Majority of GOPers agree with TRUMP: Obama is an ISIS sympathizer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:29:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Majority of GOPers agree with TRUMP: Obama is an ISIS sympathizer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Majority of GOPers agree with TRUMP: Obama is an ISIS sympathizer  (Read 1773 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »

Man, this is crackpot stuff. The sheer stupidity amongst the general public is making me depressed.

Yeah, stuff like this is why it's ridiculous to assume Hillary is a lock. Never overestimate the intelligence of the American public.

There is no reason to deny that this is the Trump party now, and that anyone else in it is just a guest.

Yep.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »

There is no reason to deny that this is the Trump party now, and that anyone else in it is just a guest.

It was the Trump party already, only without Trump.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 03:48:12 PM »

It was the Trump party already, only without Trump.

Yep. Every single opinion poll showed that GOP voters overwhelmingly agreed with what Trump had to say.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »

Obama doesn't "sympathize" with the terrorist, but he is rhetorically soft on those Muslims that do.  

I recognize that Obama "grew up Muslim" to a point; he was raised in an Islamic culture while in Indonesia, and he has Muslim family and friends.  I don't believe he is a Muslim.  I believe he's a loosely affiliated ecumenical Christian (who needs some serious time in Sunday School, IMO).  I do believe that he has some personal issue with calling out Radical Islamic Jihadist Terrorists by name.  Why this is the case is baffling.  Perhaps there is some strategic aspect to it.  More than likely, I believe that he does not want to offend Muslims, and, specifically, Muslims around the world that he may be acquainted with personally.  I can understand this to a point.  I do believe, however, that such considerations are secondary to reassuring Americans that he really is on their side.  It's not fair that there is this alternative universe where folks choose their facts as well as their opinions, but it's a condition of the time.  Obama's response to the times ought to be to reassure Americans who doubt before avoiding offending foreigners.

FB, it is much much more a point, which he has made clear many times, of not making this a "War against Islam" and thus making anti-Americanism a greater recruitment tool for ISIS. It's hardly accurate to associate Islam with ISIS anymore than it would be to associate Christianity with the KKK.

The "Radical Islamic Terrorism" catchphrase may play well to the American electorate as meaning "We mean only "radical terrorists" and of course realize that not many/most/all Muslims (depending on which Republican is saying it) support such atrocities." However, the vast majority of the Muslim world wouldn't hear the nuance vs. an attack on Islam in general.

And let's be frank: Whether taking quotes from FB's church members, the posts of many on this board, and the unfiltered thoughts of many politicians like Trump caught on camera demonstrate in their minds this really IS to large degree a war on what they view as a false religion.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 04:08:34 PM »

I will agree that this is true, and that it is, indeed, racism that drives this.  We really have gotten to the place where many conservatives believe in Alex Jones-ian alternative universes.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle really need to start sticking up for each other when it comes to these batsh**t crazy conspiracies and insults. Partisanship is getting insanely bad in this country and it's really not healthy for the general well-being of our society. It's one thing to disagree on policy and perhaps some behavior, but to allow these conspiracy theories to proliferate, or worse, even encouraging it is just downright disrespectful and counterproductive. Say what you will about Obama, but he's not a bad president overall and he doesn't deserve this.

Simply put, politicians, imo, have a responsibility to stamp out this bs when it pops up. We need to have some decency, if nothing else
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »

I will agree that this is true, and that it is, indeed, racism that drives this.  We really have gotten to the place where many conservatives believe in Alex Jones-ian alternative universes.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle really need to start sticking up for each other when it comes to these batsh**t crazy conspiracies and insults. Partisanship is getting insanely bad in this country and it's really not healthy for the general well-being of our society. It's one thing to disagree on policy and perhaps some behavior, but to allow these conspiracy theories to proliferate, or worse, even encouraging it is just downright disrespectful and counterproductive. Say what you will about Obama, but he's not a bad president overall and he doesn't deserve this.

Simply put, politicians, imo, have a responsibility to stamp out this bs when it pops up. We need to have some decency, if nothing else

Democrats had no trouble standing up to the 9/11 conspiratards. It's Republicans that are the problem.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »

Something happened to me yesterday that really shook me.  I was in church (an extremely conservative denomination, to be sure) and I was talking to a friend (whom I think highly of), who, quite casually, began talking how Obama and "the Government" are buying up closed Walmart stores and converting them into "concentration camps".  He stated that folks meet high resistance when they poke around at these "facilities".  In the midst of our conversation, another friend (whom I also think highly of) heard what he was talking about and calmly agreed.  

Neither one of these guys are idiots.  One is a native Southerner, but the other is a New Jersey native, so this is not a regional thing.  I'm sure they both believe Obama's a Muslim; that seems to be a rather tame belief nowadays, compared to things like this.  But the degree to which folks are willing to believe in alternate universes uncritically, without any kind of examination for factuality, is getting frightening.  Liberals do a degree of this as well, but, honestly, they've got nothing on these folks.

I had a similar thing happen to me.  The person was someone I had a lot of respect for.  They were certainly not an idiot.  They are much better educated than the average Democrat.  Yet they stunned me by wholeheartedly repeating a bizarre Obama conspiracy theory.  When someone is that well educated, that intelligent, and yet they buy into this stuff where do you even begin to have a conversation?  I just smile and move on.

The Wikipedia page also says that :
A survey of registered Republicans by Public Policy Polling in May 2015, found that 32% thought that "the Government is trying to take over Texas", and that half of all Tea Party supporters are concerned with an imminent Texas invasion.

I'm curious if (educated) Republicans feel ashamed when they hear that a scary amount (percentage) of their own, honestly believe in such stupid conspiracy theories.

As Fuzzy said there are educated Republicans that believe this stuff wholeheartedly.  The Governor of Texas used to be a Texas supreme court justice and an adjunct professor at UT Law School.  Can't get much more intelligent and educated than that and yet...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 04:38:33 PM »

Something happened to me yesterday that really shook me.  I was in church (an extremely conservative denomination, to be sure) and I was talking to a friend (whom I think highly of), who, quite casually, began talking how Obama and "the Government" are buying up closed Walmart stores and converting them into "concentration camps".  He stated that folks meet high resistance when they poke around at these "facilities".  In the midst of our conversation, another friend (whom I also think highly of) heard what he was talking about and calmly agreed.  

Neither one of these guys are idiots.  One is a native Southerner, but the other is a New Jersey native, so this is not a regional thing.  I'm sure they both believe Obama's a Muslim; that seems to be a rather tame belief nowadays, compared to things like this.  But the degree to which folks are willing to believe in alternate universes uncritically, without any kind of examination for factuality, is getting frightening.  Liberals do a degree of this as well, but, honestly, they've got nothing on these folks.

I had a similar thing happen to me.  The person was someone I had a lot of respect for.  They were certainly not an idiot.  They are much better educated than the average Democrat.  Yet they stunned me by wholeheartedly repeating a bizarre Obama conspiracy theory.  When someone is that well educated, that intelligent, and yet they buy into this stuff where do you even begin to have a conversation?  I just smile and move on.

The Wikipedia page also says that :
A survey of registered Republicans by Public Policy Polling in May 2015, found that 32% thought that "the Government is trying to take over Texas", and that half of all Tea Party supporters are concerned with an imminent Texas invasion.

I'm curious if (educated) Republicans feel ashamed when they hear that a scary amount (percentage) of their own, honestly believe in such stupid conspiracy theories.

As Fuzzy said there are educated Republicans that believe this stuff wholeheartedly.  The Governor of Texas used to be a Texas supreme court justice and an adjunct professor at UT Law School.  Can't get much more intelligent and educated than that and yet...

And Cruz went to Harvard Law and is by all accounts a brilliant lawyer.  Examples abound.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »

If the GOP keeps going in this direction, I will register and identify as a Democrat. This is of the absolute and highest degree of shameful and ignorant trains of thought I have witnessed.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »

Obama doesn't "sympathize" with the terrorist, but he is rhetorically soft on those Muslims that do.  

I recognize that Obama "grew up Muslim" to a point; he was raised in an Islamic culture while in Indonesia, and he has Muslim family and friends.  I don't believe he is a Muslim.  I believe he's a loosely affiliated ecumenical Christian (who needs some serious time in Sunday School, IMO).  I do believe that he has some personal issue with calling out Radical Islamic Jihadist Terrorists by name.  Why this is the case is baffling.  Perhaps there is some strategic aspect to it.  More than likely, I believe that he does not want to offend Muslims, and, specifically, Muslims around the world that he may be acquainted with personally.  I can understand this to a point.  I do believe, however, that such considerations are secondary to reassuring Americans that he really is on their side.  It's not fair that there is this alternative universe where folks choose their facts as well as their opinions, but it's a condition of the time.  Obama's response to the times ought to be to reassure Americans who doubt before avoiding offending foreigners.

FB, it is much much more a point, which he has made clear many times, of not making this a "War against Islam" and thus making anti-Americanism a greater recruitment tool for ISIS. It's hardly accurate to associate Islam with ISIS anymore than it would be to associate Christianity with the KKK.

The "Radical Islamic Terrorism" catchphrase may play well to the American electorate as meaning "We mean only "radical terrorists" and of course realize that not many/most/all Muslims (depending on which Republican is saying it) support such atrocities." However, the vast majority of the Muslim world wouldn't hear the nuance vs. an attack on Islam in general.

And let's be frank: Whether taking quotes from FB's church members, the posts of many on this board, and the unfiltered thoughts of many politicians like Trump caught on camera demonstrate in their minds this really IS to large degree a war on what they view as a false religion.

There are a lot of false religions (in the eyes of Christians) that Christians do not view themselves as being "at war with".  Hinduism would be an example of a false religion in the eyes of a Christian that Christians do not view themselves as being at war with. 

Islam is different, in that (A) Jihadist violence has been committed in the name of Islam, and (B) the actions are those of folks who are acting in accordance with the Quran.  There are many who have committed violence in the name of Christianity, but these are apostates; their actions are clearly not justified in Scripture.  Whether violent Jihadists are Islamic Zealots or Islamic Apostates is a legitimate question, but there is certainly evidence to suggest that the Quran sanctions Jihadist violence.  I will agree that this is not most individual Muslims in the world, but the Muslim world is what it is, and its treatment of women, religious minorities, and unbelievers is what it is as well, and what it is is something other than a liberal concept of tolerance.

The standard of Christian conduct is laid out in the New Testament.  "Insofar as it is possible within you, live peaceably with all men."  It is possible for Christians to live peaceably with most Muslims, and most Muslims in America.  That fact does not change the fact that there comes a day when it is NOT possible, insofar as it is possible with individual Christians, to live peaceably with radical Jihadists.  9/11/01 was such a day.  I understand that much of the Muslim world may not accept the nuances that differentiate your Muslim cardiologist or merchant with an al-Queda operative or an ISIS cell member.  Given our experiences in the West, however, I don't think it's too much to ask Muslims to understand the nuances here.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »

Islam is different, in that (A) Jihadist violence has been committed in the name of Islam, and (B) the actions are those of folks who are acting in accordance with the Quran. 
hardly. daesh breaks pretty much every rule in the book, as far as islam is concerned.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 05:17:03 PM »

I'll agree to the highlighted parts.

It's not impossible that I'll somehow end up voting for Hillary.  Nothing, however, will make me think she's anything but a piece of crap.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »

Trump simply represents the base.  He's not some strange, wacky outlier or aberration like some conservatives depict.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »

Islam is different, in that (A) Jihadist violence has been committed in the name of Islam, and (B) the actions are those of folks who are acting in accordance with the Quran. 
hardly. daesh breaks pretty much every rule in the book, as far as islam is concerned.
Yeah. ISIS' leaders aren't true Muslims, and ISIS' followers are Muslims led astray. Generally.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 09:36:40 PM »

But the Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans! I'm sure there are dozens of examples of Democratic voters supporting conspiracy theories by 22% margins.
Have you ever heard of GMOs?

Also, didn't Ted Kennedy blatantly imply George W. was a fascist?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »

I'll agree to the highlighted parts.

It's not impossible that I'll somehow end up voting for Hillary.  Nothing, however, will make me think she's anything but a piece of crap.

And I respect that, Fuzzy. I hope you make what I believe to be the good call on Trump. Florida is immensely important and determinant in the outcome of the election.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies