Majority of GOPers agree with TRUMP: Obama is an ISIS sympathizer (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:51:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Majority of GOPers agree with TRUMP: Obama is an ISIS sympathizer (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Majority of GOPers agree with TRUMP: Obama is an ISIS sympathizer  (Read 1843 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 04, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »

Obama doesn't "sympathize" with the terrorist, but he is rhetorically soft on those Muslims that do.  

I recognize that Obama "grew up Muslim" to a point; he was raised in an Islamic culture while in Indonesia, and he has Muslim family and friends.  I don't believe he is a Muslim.  I believe he's a loosely affiliated ecumenical Christian (who needs some serious time in Sunday School, IMO).  I do believe that he has some personal issue with calling out Radical Islamic Jihadist Terrorists by name.  Why this is the case is baffling.  Perhaps there is some strategic aspect to it.  More than likely, I believe that he does not want to offend Muslims, and, specifically, Muslims around the world that he may be acquainted with personally.  I can understand this to a point.  I do believe, however, that such considerations are secondary to reassuring Americans that he really is on their side.  It's not fair that there is this alternative universe where folks choose their facts as well as their opinions, but it's a condition of the time.  Obama's response to the times ought to be to reassure Americans who doubt before avoiding offending foreigners.

FB, it is much much more a point, which he has made clear many times, of not making this a "War against Islam" and thus making anti-Americanism a greater recruitment tool for ISIS. It's hardly accurate to associate Islam with ISIS anymore than it would be to associate Christianity with the KKK.

The "Radical Islamic Terrorism" catchphrase may play well to the American electorate as meaning "We mean only "radical terrorists" and of course realize that not many/most/all Muslims (depending on which Republican is saying it) support such atrocities." However, the vast majority of the Muslim world wouldn't hear the nuance vs. an attack on Islam in general.

And let's be frank: Whether taking quotes from FB's church members, the posts of many on this board, and the unfiltered thoughts of many politicians like Trump caught on camera demonstrate in their minds this really IS to large degree a war on what they view as a false religion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 04:38:33 PM »

Something happened to me yesterday that really shook me.  I was in church (an extremely conservative denomination, to be sure) and I was talking to a friend (whom I think highly of), who, quite casually, began talking how Obama and "the Government" are buying up closed Walmart stores and converting them into "concentration camps".  He stated that folks meet high resistance when they poke around at these "facilities".  In the midst of our conversation, another friend (whom I also think highly of) heard what he was talking about and calmly agreed.  

Neither one of these guys are idiots.  One is a native Southerner, but the other is a New Jersey native, so this is not a regional thing.  I'm sure they both believe Obama's a Muslim; that seems to be a rather tame belief nowadays, compared to things like this.  But the degree to which folks are willing to believe in alternate universes uncritically, without any kind of examination for factuality, is getting frightening.  Liberals do a degree of this as well, but, honestly, they've got nothing on these folks.

I had a similar thing happen to me.  The person was someone I had a lot of respect for.  They were certainly not an idiot.  They are much better educated than the average Democrat.  Yet they stunned me by wholeheartedly repeating a bizarre Obama conspiracy theory.  When someone is that well educated, that intelligent, and yet they buy into this stuff where do you even begin to have a conversation?  I just smile and move on.

The Wikipedia page also says that :
A survey of registered Republicans by Public Policy Polling in May 2015, found that 32% thought that "the Government is trying to take over Texas", and that half of all Tea Party supporters are concerned with an imminent Texas invasion.

I'm curious if (educated) Republicans feel ashamed when they hear that a scary amount (percentage) of their own, honestly believe in such stupid conspiracy theories.

As Fuzzy said there are educated Republicans that believe this stuff wholeheartedly.  The Governor of Texas used to be a Texas supreme court justice and an adjunct professor at UT Law School.  Can't get much more intelligent and educated than that and yet...

And Cruz went to Harvard Law and is by all accounts a brilliant lawyer.  Examples abound.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies