What if Reagan had picked Ford as VP in 1980?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:02:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if Reagan had picked Ford as VP in 1980?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Reagan had picked Ford as VP in 1980?  (Read 3155 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »

What if Reagan had really picked Gerald Ford as VP in 1980? That raises a few questions:

What would have been the 1980 election result? (Does the GOP ticket better or worse? No doubt in my mind that they would have won).
What would Ford’s actual role have been in the administration? Do some of his secretaries like Kissinger return?
Had Reagan done some things in a different way?
Remains Ford on the ticket in 1984?
Who succeeds Reagan in 1988?
What happens with Bush?
Had there been a President Bush at any time?

It would have been very interesting, I think, to have a former president severing as vice president.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »

George H. W. Bush could become Secretary of State or Defense.

I imagine Ford would become President in 1988, and then in 1992 Vice President Tom Kean probably loses after twelve years of Republicans.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:24:59 PM »

The fascinating thing about this is an alternate history where Reagan dies in the assasination attempt and Ford is thrust into the presidency two separate times.

I imagine Ford would become President in 1988, and then in 1992 Vice President Tom Kean probably loses after twelve years of Republicans.

HW would have been a great Secretary of State. Probably better in that role than as president.

Ford was 75 years old in 88 and his first presidency has never been overly well regarded. HW may well have still ran and won.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »

The fascinating thing about this is an alternate history where Reagan dies in the assasination attempt and Ford is thrust into the presidency two separate times.

HW would have been a great Secretary of State. Probably better in that role than as president.

Ford was 75 years old in 88 and his first presidency has never been overly well regarded. HW may well have still ran and won.

Reagan was 73 in 1984.

I think Ford would be severely pressured to run in 1988 by both Reaganites and the establishment, probably alongside a young person. While originally I thought Tom Kean would be it, now I think either Kasich or Heinz. Probably the latter, considering Kasich only had six years in the House then.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »

I doubt that Ford had run again for president in 1988. He could have stepped down already in 1984 due to his frustration over the vice presidency (after already being the main guy). But depends on his influence in the administration. I think he would have been at odds with Reagan on foreign policy, since the latter pursued a hardline-policy while Ford was strongly in favor of detente. The former president had probably also opposed the 1981 tax cuts; at least in the version it was passed in real life. However, I do believe picking Ford would have been better than Bush.

An interesting random question: How would people have called him? Mr. President or Mr. Vice President?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:10:15 PM »

I doubt that Ford had run again for president in 1988. He could have stepped down already in 1984 due to his frustration over the vice presidency (after already being the main guy). But depends on his influence in the administration. I think he would have been at odds with Reagan on foreign policy, since the latter pursued a hardline-policy while Ford was strongly in favor of detente. The former president had probably also opposed the 1981 tax cuts; at least in the version it was passed in real life. However, I do believe picking Ford would have been better than Bush.

An interesting random question: How would people have called him? Mr. President or Mr. Vice President?

If I recall correctly, current title supersedes honorary/past title. John Quincy Adams was referred to as Representative Adams rather than President Adams when he returned to the House.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »

If I recall correctly, current title supersedes honorary/past title. John Quincy Adams was referred to as Representative Adams rather than President Adams when he returned to the House.

Not necessarily. Ike was often referred as "General Eisenhower" as he became prez or during his retirement.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

I would imagine that Ronald Reagan's Presidency would have turned out the same as in RL if he picked Gerald Ford as his running mate. A Dukakis-Ford race in 1988 would have been interesting to see as well. I doubt that Ford would have ran an aggressive campaign like George H.W. Bush did in RL, so Dukakis could have very well won the election.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 04:56:31 AM »

I would imagine that Ronald Reagan's Presidency would have turned out the same as in RL if he picked Gerald Ford as his running mate. A Dukakis-Ford race in 1988 would have been interesting to see as well. I doubt that Ford would have ran an aggressive campaign like George H.W. Bush did in RL, so Dukakis could have very well won the election.

If Ford remains on the ticket in 1984, I doubt he would have run in 1988 (at 74 years). Likely Secretary of State Poppy Bush would have been elected anyway.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »

If Ford remains on the ticket in 1984, I doubt he would have run in 1988 (at 74 years). Likely Secretary of State Poppy Bush would have been elected anyway.

Ford insisted that Kissinger would return as Secretary of State. Reagan's rejection of this was the main reason he wasn't picked. But it is possible that Bush would had been involved in any postion and Reagan's successor nevertheless. Ford may have run in 1988 and serve just one full term. He would have been term-limited in 1992.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2016, 12:43:47 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Reagan and Ford would win in 1980.  Carter was very much discredited by that time.

But President Reagan could not have tolerated all the demands made by Ford, basically attempting to usurp Presidential powers on the economy and foreign affairs.

They would have had a very rocky relationship and there is no way Ford would be on the 1984 ticket.

Reagan would have greatly regretted ever picking Ford.

There is no way Ford could ever have been the nominee in 1988.  Reagan would not have supported him, nor would the party.

Ford in 1980, mistake, a big mistake.

1984, Reagan picks Bush for VP.  Bush becomes Presidential nominee in 1988, and wins.

Ford becomes a partial term unelected Vice President, a partial term unelected President, and a full term elected Vice President.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »

Reagan and Ford would win in 1980.  Carter was very much discredited by that time.

But President Reagan could not have tolerated all the demands made by Ford, basically attempting to usurp Presidential powers on the economy and foreign affairs.

They would have had a very rocky relationship and there is no way Ford would be on the 1984 ticket.

Reagan would have greatly regretted ever picking Ford.

There is no way Ford could ever have been the nominee in 1988.  Reagan would not have supported him, nor would the party.

Ford in 1980, mistake, a big mistake.

1984, Reagan picks Bush for VP.  Bush becomes Presidential nominee in 1988, and wins.

Ford becomes a partial term unelected Vice President, a partial term unelected President, and a full term elected Vice President.

You're probably right there. Ford would've had an interesting career.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies