Alberta Progressive Conservative Leadership Election - March 18, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:20:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta Progressive Conservative Leadership Election - March 18, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alberta Progressive Conservative Leadership Election - March 18, 2017  (Read 10209 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: July 06, 2016, 02:18:21 PM »

The contempory understanding of it amongst PCs is that it represents our party being fiscally conservative and socially progressive.

You can kiss that goodbye if the creepy virgin wins.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »

What is it that you don't like about the NDP again? It's not like you're on the right of the average Albertan.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »

While electoral reform would save the NDP from the possibility of returning to obscurity way down the road, it would ultimately help the right wing, as I do not believe a majority of Albertans are centre/ centre-left.

Also, the NDP didn't campaign on electoral reform, so there's that.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:12:51 AM »

Good question, Joe. I really don't have a good explanation, other than that's how we do things. I suppose the advantage is it gives parties a chance at a gradual transition to the new leadership, rather than what we're seeing in Britain: "Surprise! you have a new Prime Minister!".

Unlike Australia and the UK, Canadian parties have had a longer tradition of having leadership elections where the party membership votes rather than just the MPs themselves. We used to have (and still are in some jurisdictions / parties) delegated conventions, meaning the process would have to be longer and drawn out like in the U.S.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »

Oh yeah, a big reason for the long leadership races is the fact that parties in Canada tend to have low membership numbers most of the time (compared to other countries), so time is needed to build that up by the respective campaigns.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »

that's the second Tory to join the NDP this Fall. (The NDP candidate in Niagara West-Glanbrook was a card carrying Tory up until he was nominated!)

Anyways, doesn't the NDP have a no party switching policy?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:02:02 PM »

Anyways, doesn't the NDP have a no party switching policy?

Apparently that is a federal NDP policy that was never adopted by the Alberta NDP :-)

Yeah, but it's a policy I support, so this is a bit disappointing. I'm sure the voters in her riding won't be happy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies