United Alternative (BY-LAWS)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:54:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  United Alternative (BY-LAWS)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: United Alternative (BY-LAWS)  (Read 8027 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2016, 03:57:09 PM by Senator Cris »

It's time for a new party for all people who share moderate values. I mean all centre, centre-right and, why not, centre-left people who want a third party that'll push for common sense actions in Atlasia.

x Cris
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »

"Centrist parties" - which always evolve into non-ideological parties sooner or later if they straddle the two hemispheres, regardless of intent - are bad for the game. They squash competition (the natural order of STV/ranked-choice voting in the game should be obvious to most in terms of outcome, as there have been plenty of examples of it in recent years), reduce activity and increase the amount of personality-based politics at the expense of ideological and policy-related concerns.

As if that weren't bad enough, after they've inevitably made the transition to full-fledged personality cult, they implode shortly thereafter (some sooner than others) and leave a vacuum in their wake that always creates short-to-medium term problems for everybody.

This is the story of and how the DA, the Liberals, the P-U, TPP and several others all went. 'Tis a predictable pattern.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:20:38 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:32:37 PM »

xNeverAgain
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »

x Kingpoleon
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 02:59:55 PM »

I differ with my Labor colleagues on this issue. I think more parties would be beneficial to our political process. I still strongly stand with Labor, but more options creates more ideas and possibilities for growth and expansion.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »

I differ with my Labor colleagues on this issue. I think more parties would be beneficial to our political process. I still strongly stand with Labor, but more options creates more ideas and possibilities for growth and expansion.

Not necessarily, since as Adam said, they tend to become personality cults, which does noting for creating new ideas. In any case, I'll reserve judgment for now and just see how things play out.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »

Well said. It is a sad situation when libertarians and socons are forced to share a party. Perhaps the Federalists should break apart. /s
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »

Well said. It is a sad situation when libertarians and socons are forced to share a party. Perhaps the Federalists should break apart. /s

I've always felt like a UKIP-esque alternative party might be appropriate for some in the Atlasian right.

(That's what I probably would've done if I were in Kenobi's shoes, anyway. Tongue )
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »

Good luck with the party. Hopefully you can attract some of the sane center-left folks who are unhappy with the radicalism of the Communist Party. Smiley
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »

Good luck with the party. Hopefully you can attract some of the sane center-left folks who are unhappy with the radicalism of the Communist Party. Smiley

And by communist party, he means the Federalists! /s
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 04:13:15 PM »

lol, what personality cult in the Progressive Union?  I was in the party for like a year and was chair of it at some point.  There was never a personality cult.

I agree with Neveragain.  I probably won't be joining this party, but I'm interested to see how it goes.  The two party system is the most boring thing about Atlasia.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »

you're the labor whip. control yourself.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »

lol, what personality cult in the Progressive Union?  I was in the party for like a year and was chair of it at some point.  There was never a personality cult.

I agree with Neveragain.  I probably won't be joining this party, but I'm interested to see how it goes.  The two party system is the most boring thing about Atlasia.

The others definitely did. P-U never really turned into a major personality cult like the others because it didn't get that far, but I wouldn't say it was completely devoid of the components that lead to that. There's a process with these parties, that either revolves around them starting out as a left-of-center/right-of-center party that transitions into one that hugs both hemispheres, or that revolves around them explicitly starting as a party that tries to bring both together. The ones that make it to the point that they actually accumulate significant power end up having conflicting ideologies, members and elected officials, and with nothing to bind them together but membership, naturally become said personality cults.

The problem with the P-U was that it was primarily comprised of newer players and people without rabid ambition. Honestly, I've never seen a party in my time that was so large in membership and potentially influential that fell so flat on its face. At one point, it had as many members as TPP at its height (25-30) but no measurable influence in public office. I can't remember if it even held a Senate seat from a regularly-scheduled election, but I know that there were multiple occasions where had the party fought, it would have won a seat. I remember at least two occasions where P-U rolled over (including in a tie/recount) and one of those resulted in the seat being handed to Labor. If it did hold seats at one point, it couldn't have been more than 1 or 2 at various periods.

This game has rarely ever had a true two-party system post-dissolution. There were always protest and third-way parties popping up from 2012-2015 that prevented true two-party dominance, usually featuring 20-30 members. Even over the past year, a "two-party system" hasn't really existed due to the depolarization brought on by pushing for a new Constitution above all else.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »

neveragain what is you doing
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »

Eh, when most of the contests are between two parties, and you can pretty much predict the outcomes of most of the elections before they happen, you pretty much have a two party system.  At least when you have other candidates and parties added into the mix, you have an added element of mystery, even if that element is only "I wonder what candidate the minor party voters will choose."  There is very little mystery or wonder right now.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »

Eh, when most of the contests are between two parties, and you can pretty much predict the outcomes of most of the elections before they happen, you pretty much have a two party system.  At least when you have other candidates and parties added into the mix, you have an added element of mystery, even if that element is only "I wonder what candidate the minor party voters will choose."  There is very little mystery or wonder right now.

especially considering "civic renewal" is pretty much just an appendage of the federalists
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »

Since this is basically a refresh of Civic Renewal (you guys should call it "Civic Renewal Renewal" Tongue), and that party has worked well with me in the past (see: my VP picks), I wish it good luck.

However, I have similar concerns as Adam here. Uniting a diverse array of ideologies and personalities--some quite erratic--under a common theme is like herding cat's teeth, especially if the common theme is as vague as "moderatism."

Did the Labor Whip just join the new CR? Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 11:17:41 PM »

Over my dead body, Mr. Smith.

The last time there was a pure social conservative party or at least more social conservative than the Feds, it overwhelmingly voted to join with the heavily Libertarian leaning Imperial Bloc to form the Federalist Party, after just six months of existence. Social Conservatives have had more success under the Federalist Party banner, than they had when the Whigs existed.  As for Libertarians, who just elected the first Libertarian President? 

And yes I am going to say it. This is the RPP's legacy (deal with it Adam Tongue). A major ROC big tent party with a substantial Libertarian lean and flavor.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 11:20:14 PM »

Since this is basically a refresh of Civic Renewal (you guys should call it "Civic Renewal Renewal" Tongue), and that party has worked well with me in the past (see: my VP picks), I wish it good luck.

However, I have similar concerns as Adam here. Uniting a diverse array of ideologies and personalities--some quite erratic--under a common theme is like herding cat's teeth, especially if the common theme is as vague as "moderatism."

Reminds me of when Adam was RG and on April 1, 2015, Oakvale joined a joke party (with a JK in 1pt font) and Adam counted it as a real change thus causing the TPP to lose their chairman for a day. AdamFTW!!!!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 11:57:27 PM »

I didn't get the impression that if I said I supported a new party (even if some say it will ultimately fail due to 'personality cults' or disagreements) that I would bash my own party and skip Labor town. I support Labor because we have fought for the rights of working families and the ideas of equality and working together.

I will not, nor will I ever, leave my party. I am a raging partisan who supports new ones so that everyone can feel they have a say. That is my goal for all Atlasians, and I feel that a new party would be just that fix.

People are seeming to be rushing to conclusions and making a big deal over the fact that they feel this party will fissile out. I would ask that we all take a chill-pill and try to let this thing run its course.
wat?
 My support of my party does not diminish if I support the idea of another party. After all this game is built on new ideas, and allowing everyone to have a say. I feel that if we had a party for those former CR's and other new independents to join, we'd get a lot more activity.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

Nah. Labor rocks. I'd never think to join anything other. I've been here in Atlasia and Labor for a year and a quarter and that's not going to change no matter what.

Showin' my support of Cris' idea for a new party for him and others feeling out of the continual loop.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 01:43:20 AM »

Eh, it just seemed like one of those "join the Atlasian [something] Society!" things, where people sign their name to join, or a petition, or a sign-in thread.

I don't think I've ever seen people "signing-in" to support the idea of something, so I decided to have some fun with the concept of the highest-ranking Laborite (I think you'd be, at least until I appoint my cabinet Wink) joining Cris and Lumine's party. Tongue
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 04:40:18 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2016, 04:43:21 AM by Cris »

It's not the renewal of Civic Renewal. As you can see, this new party will be expand to the centre.
Also. We're collecting signatures of people interested in joining: here we'll decide the name of the new party and other things on the future of the party, then we'll register as members of the new party.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »

Eh, it just seemed like one of those "join the Atlasian [something] Society!" things, where people sign their name to join, or a petition, or a sign-in thread.

I don't think I've ever seen people "signing-in" to support the idea of something, so I decided to have some fun with the concept of the highest-ranking Laborite (I think you'd be, at least until I appoint my cabinet Wink) joining Cris and Lumine's party. Tongue

I guess I am confused. I was just expressing my support of Cris' new party. I had zero intentions of joining, I sincerely apologize to everyone for the confusion.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »

The new party will be DOA as are most centrist parties not built around the personality cult of The People
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies