Who should I support in the WA-7 Congressional election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:29:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who should I support in the WA-7 Congressional election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: --
Brady Walkinshaw (D)

Joe McDermott (D)

Pramila Jayapal (D)

Donovan Rivers (D)

Arun Jhaveri (D)

Scott Sutherland (R)

Craig Keller (R)

Leslie Regier (I)

Carl Cooper (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Who should I support in the WA-7 Congressional election?  (Read 849 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »

I haven't really sat down and looked at all of the options for WA-7's primary to replace Jim McDermott, and I'm wondering what people think of the candidates. Since we have a top-two system, I'll probably vote for my favorite of the 2nd and 3rd place polling candidates so that the general election has better choices rather than just going for my favorite right off the bat, but if anybody has a compelling case to vote for one candidate or not vote for a candidate, I'd love to hear it. Here's a basic summary of who they are:

Brady Walkinshaw
Probably my top choice right now. Pretty much a bridge between the centrist and left-wing branches of the party and pretty much a carbon copy of Jim McDermott in terms of policy. He formerly worked for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and is currently a Representative in the Washington State House where he sits on the Higher Education, Judiciary, and Transportation Committees.

Joe McDermott
The first openly gay member of the King County Council and a former State Representative. He seems to focus a lot on housing and family issues, but is pretty much a generic D as much as that is a thing in Seattle.

Pramila Jayapal
Probably the most left-wing candidate, endorsed by Bernie and loved by Reddit. She's definitely a fire-breathing liberal, which I like, but I'd be worried if she is mostly doing this to grandstand or if she actually cares about pushing policies. I'm not super familiar with her record in the State Legislature, apart from it being super-liberal. She's also a bit of a carpetbagger, since I think she actually lives in district 9, but I can overlook that.

Donovan Rivers
This will be his third election, and he has yet to win one. I have a hard time seeing him do much better this time around. Supports a $15 minimum wage and police reforms. I think he works for Metro, but I'm not sure what he does exactly.

Arun Jhaveri
Big on science and environmentalism, but a pretty huge longshot.

Scott Sutherland
Moderate "fiscally responsible" Republican, who at least pays some lip service to environmentalists. Wants to propose a constitutional amendment that Congresspeople have to hand-write their bills, presumably because he doesn't like Obamacare.

Craig Keller
The Republican sacrificial lamb against McDermott in 2014. Probably their best hope to get on the ballot in November this time around.

Leslie Regier
Supports STEM and space exploration. Seems like a Goodspaceguy-lite candidate.

Carl Cooper
No idea who this is. May or may not have already suspended his campaign, based on his website.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »

Scott Sutherland
Moderate "fiscally responsible" Republican, who at least pays some lip service to environmentalists. Wants to propose a constitutional amendment that Congresspeople have to hand-write their bills, presumably because he doesn't like Obamacare.

lol
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »

The general is likely going to be D vs D, right? Who do you think will come first/second?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »

Goodspaceguy Lite is better than no Goodspaceguy at all.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:21:05 PM »

Jayapal. She clearly cares about what she is advocating and has a proven track record of fighting for progressive causes.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »

Carl Cooper.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »

evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »

Jayapal. She clearly cares about what she is advocating and has a proven track record of fighting for progressive causes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:26:43 PM »

McDermott sounds like a good guy. Is he probably your second choice?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »

I like Walkinshaw and Jayapal the best, to be honest. Walkinshaw for the earnest attitude and the seniority he could one day accrue, and Jayapal for being the further left candidate possible, a Sawant type. It'd be interesting to see her in Congress, but for true effectiveness for the district, I think Walkinshaw is the best.

McDermott is trying to cash in on the retiring Congressman's name, and seems pretty lackluster otherwise. Never heard of the rest of the candidates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies