Would you be offended by your workplace showing Family Guy on the break room TV?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:48:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you be offended by your workplace showing Family Guy on the break room TV?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you be offended by your workplace showing Family Guy on the break room TV?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Would you be offended by your workplace showing Family Guy on the break room TV?  (Read 1183 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2016, 07:14:03 AM »

It's playing via a connected computer, playing DVDs and downloaded episodes. So you can only do something like that if you have access to the computer which is not in the break room. Not possible!

The break room where I work has this thing called a remote that lets you change the channel just by pushing a button. 

OK but mine doesn't. And leaving a remote out for the TV is just asking for it to be lost within a week in a public place like that.

It's playing via a connected computer, playing DVDs and downloaded episodes. So you can only do something like that if you have access to the computer which is not in the break room. Not possible!

Look, it should be pretty obvious that letting employees manage the TV themselves is just asking for it to have the connection lost without knowing how to get it put back up. This way only HR can change it, which prevents that from occuring.

Actually, it has never caused any issues and no one has tried to steal the remote Tongue  *shrug*  I agree that Inksholes who complain about this sort of stuff to HR suck though.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »

Yes, but only because of the show's quality.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 12:41:25 AM »

This is purely anecdotal, but I find it interesting the people at my work who are most fond of Family Guy besides me seem to be Hmong women. Like they'll crowd around the TV when it's playing and laugh hysterically while having side conversations in Hmong. Even despite, well probably in part because of the Asian stereotype jokes. Although to be fair this sort of thing isn't all that uncommon, it's really only extreme Tumblr types who assume that anyone who's a member of a minority group must be very offended and couldn't possibly like anything that makes jokes playing off stereotypes of that group.

That's the coolest anecdote I've heard in weeks. Smiley
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 07:54:21 AM »

We don't have a TV in our break room (I work at a hotel), and I work alone so I wouldn't care if it was on or not. Only time the TV comes on is in the lobby during breakfast hours and it's always funny watching the guests fighting over whether to turn it on MSNBC or Fox News. I always change it when no one is down there and if it's been left on Fox News.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »

I'd hate to work in a place that wouldn't play FG.  We have a TV in our shop, FG doesn't get played a lot anymore though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 04:00:22 AM »

I have to agree with Ernest, and I don't think that he's being even slightly melodramatic about it: A television in the break room would bother me a great deal. In fact, it usually bothers me when I need to spend a significant amount of time in any public space that is dominated by television screens - waiting rooms, supermarkets, lobbies, etc. I actually stopped visiting the gas station nearest to my apartment when they (bizarrely) added televisions to the pumps.

It's tolerable if the volume is low enough (as it usually was in bars and restaurants I've been to). Loud TV in public places is the worst though, yeah.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 01:54:26 PM »

No, not at all! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies