Interesting conclusion from Comey's testimony at House hearing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:06:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Interesting conclusion from Comey's testimony at House hearing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting conclusion from Comey's testimony at House hearing  (Read 585 times)
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »

In his testimony to the House Oversight Committee, Director Comey had an interesting exchange with Representative Ken Buck of Colorado:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So the conclusion Comey reaches, namely that no reasonable prosecutor would bring the case, seems to be based on an interpretation of the statute which has a component which is not included within the actual text of the statute. Is that what happened? And if that's what's happening, how does Congress address this problem, which is to say how does Congress write a law clearly enough to ensure its application?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »

SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 06:40:57 PM »

Sure, this horse is dead, but hopefully that doesn't preclude our thinking about ways of avoiding future dead animals.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »

Sure, this horse is dead, but hopefully that doesn't preclude our thinking about ways of avoiding future dead animals.

Is this particular type of dead horse a big problem where you live?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »

The mishandling of sensitive U.S. government information? Yeah, that's a big problem where I live; that's not a problem where you live?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 11:54:31 PM »

The mishandling of sensitive U.S. government information? Yeah, that's a big problem where I live; that's not a problem where you live?

It's a problem where I live, because where I live it's a Republican stronghold. Now, when Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell allowed their staff to send classified information via private e-mails, no one here would have cared. Double standards and all, you know.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 11:57:04 PM »

Comey did not say Hillary did nothing wrong. He sharply criticized her, but he failed to find the level of proof necessary to indict her.

When she admits this was a mistake and moves on, then you're beating a dead horse. Hopefully it happens soon.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 04:04:49 AM »

It's a problem where I live, because where I live it's a Republican stronghold. Now, when Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell allowed their staff to send classified information via private e-mails, no one here would have cared. Double standards and all, you know.
Got to love whataboutism.  "Yeah, my guy is a crook, but so were yours, VOTE FOR MY CROOK!"
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:45:35 AM »

Handling of sensitive government data is an issue for everyone. I'm not a US government employee, but the 2015 OPM data breach apparently had info about me from a secure site visit I made in 2014. As a result I was a victim of identity theft this year when a false income tax return was filed in my name. That resulted in a one year block on electronic communication with the IRS and a six-month watch on my credit.

It's unfortunate that too many people only see this as a political issue. I'd take the underlying statutory problem seriously beyond the politics.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:49:05 AM »

How many times do people have to be told that State Dept. rules were not the same under Rice and Powell?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »

I agree there is a serious issue here both in the handling of sensitive information and in the FBI's interpretation of the statute, but I don't for a minute believe that you are really concerned about either of those things, as much as you are very unhappy for strictly political reasons that the FBI didn't recommend criminal charges against Hillary Clinton.

In that regards, this thread of yours is nothing more than beating a dead horse.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 06:24:07 PM »

Got to love whataboutism.  "Yeah, my guy is a crook, but so were yours, VOTE FOR MY CROOK!"

She's not a crook. I guess you missed the news. How does that crow taste, by the way? Wink
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »

Comey did not say Hillary did nothing wrong. He sharply criticized her, but he failed to find the level of proof necessary to indict her.

When she admits this was a mistake and moves on, then you're beating a dead horse. Hopefully it happens soon.

She's admitted it over and over again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies