BREAKING: Shots fired at BLM protest in downtown Dallas, TX
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:34:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Shots fired at BLM protest in downtown Dallas, TX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Shots fired at BLM protest in downtown Dallas, TX  (Read 12911 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2016, 04:10:56 PM »

I've been busy to say the least here in ATL Wink

But Here a interesting story that I found during some investigating of the MN shooting .  I am not going to spectate anything further until more facts are present.   BUT...

http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/2016/07/05/armed-robbers-hit-lauderdale-convenience-store

There are a couple other factors that may be at play in the Falcon Heights shooting, nothing that excuses any of it, but may provide some insight into the officer's mindset. I grew up near the area of the shooting and frequently bicycled down Larpenteur as a teen and then as a college student going to work. One of my best friends still lives a few blocks from the shooting and shared with me some of her observations about a day after the incident.

Falcon Heights and Lauderdale are two tiny suburbs that contract for police service from St Anthony.

Larpenteur Ave is a main road that crosses through both Lauderdale and Falcon Heights. The police are known to make traffic stops along that stretch of Larpenteur for minor infractions. They target those from outside of those towns, which is of course the vast majority of the vehicles through that area. Needless to say it is a consistent revenue source for those towns.

About 30 hours before the shooting a violent storm passed through the area dropping 4 inches of rain in less than an hour, flooding streets, and wind at 70 mph knocked out power. Emergency services, including police, were up all night and day helping with the weather recovery. Some neighborhoods near the shooting only had power restored a few hours before the shooting.

I don't know how much rest Officer Yanez had in the 36 hours before the shooting, but I can easily imagine a policeman that was fatigued and under stress. I would question why officers weren't told to lighten up on some of the routine stops given the weather-induced chaos of the previous two days.

The weather?!

During floods and widespread power outages first responders often put in a lot of overtime to deal with the situation. The extra work with less rest can increase stress and stress can impair judgment, and I've seen that firsthand. As I said I don't know if it applied to the individual, but it would have applied to the force in general.

Thank you for explaining to us how bad weather works.  You should forward your posts to BLM so they will finally understand that there really isn't a problem.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2016, 04:19:45 PM »

Can we have a rule that after 24 hours of an event we remove the "BREAKING" disclaimer? It gets really annoying after a while.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2016, 05:34:49 PM »

But Here a interesting story that I found during some investigating of the MN shooting .  I am not going to spectate anything further until more facts are present.   BUT...

http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/2016/07/05/armed-robbers-hit-lauderdale-convenience-store

There are a couple other factors that may be at play in the Falcon Heights shooting, nothing that excuses any of it, but may provide some insight into the officer's mindset. I grew up near the area of the shooting and frequently bicycled down Larpenteur as a teen and then as a college student going to work. One of my best friends still lives a few blocks from the shooting and shared with me some of her observations about a day after the incident.

Falcon Heights and Lauderdale are two tiny suburbs that contract for police service from St Anthony.

Larpenteur Ave is a main road that crosses through both Lauderdale and Falcon Heights. The police are known to make traffic stops along that stretch of Larpenteur for minor infractions. They target those from outside of those towns, which is of course the vast majority of the vehicles through that area. Needless to say it is a consistent revenue source for those towns.

About 30 hours before the shooting a violent storm passed through the area dropping 4 inches of rain in less than an hour, flooding streets, and wind at 70 mph knocked out power. Emergency services, including police, were up all night and day helping with the weather recovery. Some neighborhoods near the shooting only had power restored a few hours before the shooting.

I don't know how much rest Officer Yanez had in the 36 hours before the shooting, but I can easily imagine a policeman that was fatigued and under stress. I would question why officers weren't told to lighten up on some of the routine stops given the weather-induced chaos of the previous two days.

The weather?!

During floods and widespread power outages first responders often put in a lot of overtime to deal with the situation. The extra work with less rest can increase stress and stress can impair judgment, and I've seen that firsthand. As I said I don't know if it applied to the individual, but it would have applied to the force in general.

Thank you for explaining to us how bad weather works.  You should forward your posts to BLM so they will finally understand that there really isn't a problem.

If you read my post you would understand that I think there is a problem. There are problems with how and when stops are conducted. Better understanding of how and when certain types of stops should be pursued can help avoid some of the tragic results we have seen. Better understanding of an officer's frame of mind on a given day is something supervisors can improve.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »

The weather?!

Thank you for explaining to us how bad weather works.  You should forward your posts to BLM so they will finally understand that there really isn't a problem.

If you read my post you would understand that I think there is a problem. There are problems with how and when stops are conducted. Better understanding of how and when certain types of stops should be pursued can help avoid some of the tragic results we have seen. Better understanding of an officer's frame of mind on a given day is something supervisors can improve.

Yeah.  You told us that it was windy and rained in the days before this poor man was executed.  Your naval gazing about the weather really is tone deaf and inappropriate in light of the fact a man was killed.  It is because of people like you BLM exists.  A black man is executed for no reason in front of his fiancee and your reaction is to go  thumbing through old weather reports looking for answers.  Why you would spend so much time researching this and typing it up is anyone's guess, although I have some ideas.  You don't even know if this guy was working or if he worked any more hours than he normally would.  I have seen no one come out and make any of the claims you are posting.  The police officer at no point said he was stressed.  Why are you pushing this narrative?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2016, 06:15:32 PM by muon2 »

The weather?!

Thank you for explaining to us how bad weather works.  You should forward your posts to BLM so they will finally understand that there really isn't a problem.

Yeah.  You told us that it was windy and rained in the days before this poor man was executed.  Your naval gazing about the weather really is tone deaf and inappropriate in light of the fact a man was killed.  It is because of people like you BLM exists.  A black man is executed for no reason in front of his fiancee and your reaction is to go  thumbing through old weather reports looking for answers.  Why you would spend so much time researching this and typing it up is anyone's guess, although I have some ideas.  You don't even know if this guy was working or if he worked any more hours than he normally would.  I have seen no one come out and make any of the claims you are posting.  The police officer at no point said he was stressed.  Why are you pushing this narrative?

Because some people are pushing a narrative that this is only about race. Violent events are rarely due to a single cause. If telling a Latino cop to lighten up on minor traffic stops because there has been a lot of stuff going for the last 24 hours saves a black man's life, I'm for it. I suspect a lot of minorities would like to see the cops lighten up on minor stops when there are bigger issues.

Edit: As I said in my initial post on this, my info came from someone with direct knowledge of the policing behavior on that stretch or road. I claim no extensive research.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »

The weather?!

Yeah.  You told us that it was windy and rained in the days before this poor man was executed.  Your naval gazing about the weather really is tone deaf and inappropriate in light of the fact a man was killed.  It is because of people like you BLM exists.  A black man is executed for no reason in front of his fiancee and your reaction is to go  thumbing through old weather reports looking for answers.  Why you would spend so much time researching this and typing it up is anyone's guess, although I have some ideas.  You don't even know if this guy was working or if he worked any more hours than he normally would.  I have seen no one come out and make any of the claims you are posting.  The police officer at no point said he was stressed.  Why are you pushing this narrative?

Because some people are pushing a narrative that this is only about race. Violent events are rarely due to a single cause.

Now that you've told us it rains sometimes and the wind can blow you are telling us sometimes things in life have multiple contributing factors.  Wow.  Thanks professor.  Hey some of us have jobs.  I walk into disasters all the time.  What you do is handle the most egregious stuff first and worry about pruning the minor stuff later.  Navel gazing about rain at a time like this is not the number one priority.

And none of the posts I've read have said this is only about race.  I guess like talking about the weather you have to throw a strawman out there to try and defend the indefensible.

Edit: As I said in my initial post on this, my info came from someone with direct knowledge of the policing behavior on that stretch or road. I claim no extensive research.

Yeah your amazing source that told you sometimes cops stop people for minor infractions just to get money.  Whoa!  Hold the presses!  Gee maybe some black activists should talk about that.  Oh, wait a minute they do... all the time.

Given the incidents of the last week your posts are really disturbing.  It's almost like a robot posting on the internet.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:22 PM »

Do you want to reduce incidents of violence or just rail against the system? I want to find practical ways to reduce violence by avoiding situations that make it more likely. Changing policing behavior is exactly the type of action black activists support. I have suggested concrete police practices that can be changed to lessen the possibility of this type of violent response. So what is the problem here?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2016, 09:07:31 PM »

Do you want to reduce incidents of violence or just rail against the system? I want to find practical ways to reduce violence by avoiding situations that make it more likely. Changing policing behavior is exactly the type of action black activists support. I have suggested concrete police practices that can be changed to lessen the possibility of this type of violent response. So what is the problem here?

The problem is the poster you're talking to has no purpose on here other than to insult and demean others.  You made some good points.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2016, 01:59:17 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2016, 03:03:35 AM by MK »

But Here a interesting story that I found during some investigating of the MN shooting .  I am not going to spectate anything further until more facts are present.   BUT...

The weather?!

Yeah.  You told us that it was windy and rained in the days before this poor man was executed.  Your naval gazing about the weather really is tone deaf and inappropriate in light of the fact a man was killed.  It is because of people like you BLM exists.  A black man is executed for no reason in front of his fiancee and your reaction is to go  thumbing through old weather reports looking for answers.  Why you would spend so much time researching this and typing it up is anyone's guess, although I have some ideas.  You don't even know if this guy was working or if he worked any more hours than he normally would.  I have seen no one come out and make any of the claims you are posting.  The police officer at no point said he was stressed.  Why are you pushing this narrative?

Because some people are pushing a narrative that this is only about race. Violent events are rarely due to a single cause. If telling a Latino cop to lighten up on minor traffic stops because there has been a lot of stuff going for the last 24 hours saves a black man's life, I'm for it. I suspect a lot of minorities would like to see the cops lighten up on minor stops when there are bigger issues.

You sound quite silly with all due respect.   You are not a Peace officer correct?     

Weather HuhHuh
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2016, 04:46:42 AM »

You sound quite silly with all due respect.   You are not a Peace officer correct?     

Technically I was one with supervisory duties for a number of years. My concern for municipal policies that might create triggers for violent encounters during routine police stops is based on my experiences from that time.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2016, 06:38:56 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2016, 06:47:20 AM by MK »

Technically I was one with supervisory duties for a number of years. My concern for municipal policies that might create triggers for violent encounters during routine police stops is based on my experiences from that time.

But at this point we don't know what lead to the Officer using deadly force?   If you were any current or present LEO you would also suspend judgment until the facts come. 

Traffic stops leading to violence ?    The safety of the Officer is first and foremost (as a LEO you would also know that) .  Something lead to this officers duty weapon coming from his holster and being fired.  At this point we don't know because the video in question is after the fact. Rumors say gun was laying in lap.  If that's correct then we have a different situation from that officers perspective.   

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »

Weather HuhHuh
He is not and never has said "the weather is what got the man killed".  A traffic stop for a silly reason and cop messing up is what got the man killed and he is suggesting we change how often we pull people over for silly sh**t.  I 100% agree.  Cops are a collection service with the power of the state behind them more than they are enforcers of the law.  This should not be.  It shouldn't be illegal to sell single cigs, or to walk in the road, or a million other things that force poor people and cops into tense, life changing situations ten thousand times a day.  And make the fines reasonable, the horror stories of poor people that can't pay a $30 parking ticket on time that end up in jail and still owing the state $242.  That's unfunking believable.  We don't let credit card companies get away with that sh**t, but we'll let the local county courthouse do it and then vote the bastards back in that made it that way.  Who else are they going to vote for?  The other party?  That would be stupid!  Third party?  Even dumber!  Lets go block traffic, that will sure piss people off and get them on our side!  That will get the change going!

Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »

The safety of the Officer is first and foremost.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement.  The safety of the general public is first and foremost.  While an important aspect of doing that is to place a high value on the safety of the officer by avoiding dangerous situations and bringing dangerous situations quickly to a level of less danger, the shoot (and not necessarily literal shooting) first and ask questions later mentality that a few bad apples have does not contribute in the long run to the safety of either the general public or police officers. The sad thing is that by all accounts, Dallas is one of the police departments that was getting things done right.

Not that police departments can by themselves bring an end to over overly militarized police systems.  Viewing our drug problem as a medical and social issue rather than a war is a good place to begin. Eliminate a lot of the non-productive things we ask police to do would both reduce their stress and give them time to focus on the real bad stuff.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2016, 08:07:22 PM »

Weather HuhHuh
He is not and never has said "the weather is what got the man killed".  A traffic stop for a silly reason and cop messing up is what got the man killed and he is suggesting we change how often we pull people over for silly sh**t.  I 100% agree.  Cops are a collection service with the power of the state behind them more than they are enforcers of the law.  This should not be.  It shouldn't be illegal to sell single cigs, or to walk in the road, or a million other things that force poor people and cops into tense, life changing situations ten thousand times a day.  And make the fines reasonable, the horror stories of poor people that can't pay a $30 parking ticket on time that end up in jail and still owing the state $242.  That's unfunking believable.  We don't let credit card companies get away with that sh**t, but we'll let the local county courthouse do it and then vote the bastards back in that made it that way.  Who else are they going to vote for?  The other party?  That would be stupid!  Third party?  Even dumber!  Lets go block traffic, that will sure piss people off and get them on our side!  That will get the change going!

Roll Eyes

To be clear I was never a cop. I was at one time a peace officer under IL law, and had the power to arrest and enforce ordinances. I was also at one time in a supervisory position over police and worked on policing policies while in that position. When to step up and step back on things like traffic enforcement were part of those policies.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »

In my entire time as a cop I never once pulled someone over because I didn't like the way they look.
Maybe I'm just weird.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies