What happened when GWB tried to raise the gas tax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:49:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What happened when GWB tried to raise the gas tax
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happened when GWB tried to raise the gas tax  (Read 615 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://grist.org/politics/the-crazy-true-story-of-how-george-w-bush-secretly-tried-to-raise-the-gas-tax/
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »

If our roads and bridges are ass, we should raise the gas tax.  I don't know about doubling, but it seems to me it should be raised a bit.  (and make sure the gas tax is now is being used appropriately and not on bike paths in rural Idaho or bridges to islands where only 20 rich guys live)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:15:45 AM »

If our roads and bridges are ass, we should raise the gas tax.  I don't know about doubling, but it seems to me it should be raised a bit.  (and make sure the gas tax is now is being used appropriately and not on bike paths in rural Idaho or bridges to islands where only 20 rich guys live)

Doubling the gas tax wouldn't even bring us in line with other western first world countries.  Outside of Mexico if we doubled our gas tax it would still be less than every other OECD country.  We waste an amazing amount of gasoline in this country.  It is shocking to me the explosion in sales of SUVs and gigantic pickups that occurred where I live when gas prices plummeted starting in 2014.  The idiots buying those gas guzzlers are going to be the same ones begging the government to do something when gas goes up to $4 a gallon again.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:28:13 AM »

This.

It's about 18 cents per gallon. 25 cents per gallon seems like an inoffensive change.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »

We really, really should. Right now, while gas prices are low (and seem likely to stay decently low for some time yet), I don't think consumers would mind nearly as much as they would have before the massive gas price drop. This country desperately needs massive infrastructure investment and it's not something we can just ignore.

Far too many politicians are acting like this issue is optional.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »

Raise the gas tax. Also create a major punitive % of income tax for gas-wasting vehicles for anyone making enough money to afford it.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 07:50:10 AM »

Make it a percentage rather than a fixed amount. Why should the gas tax be a fixed amount per gallon regardless of the actual cost of the fuel?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »

Make it a percentage rather than a fixed amount. Why should the gas tax be a fixed amount per gallon regardless of the actual cost of the fuel?

Why shouldn't it be a fixed amount?

having it be a fixed amount means that when gas prices are high, the gas tax is no more of a burden on people than when it is low.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies