Southern Motto Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:22:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Motto Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How do you feel about each of these?  Please only vote if you are a Southerner
Support: Quaerite Prime Regnum Dei, translated to "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God"
Oppose: Quaerite Prime Regnum Dei, translated to "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God"
Support: "Liberty for All"
Oppose: "Liberty for All"
Prefer different motto (please specific in thread)
Support: Latin Motto
Oppose: Latin Motto
Not a Southerner
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Southern Motto Poll  (Read 988 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:15:26 PM »

Hey all.  I'd like to see what the people of the South think about different mottos for the region that have been proposed in the legislature.  Please only vote for options if you're a Southerner.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »

I like the idea of a Latin Motto. I think both suggestions are very good. Smiley

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »

I much prefer "Liberty for All" or an equivalent. I'm fine either way re: Latin

One person wanted an inclusive motto that reflected our diversity, the other emphasized the need to show our origins of individual liberty (of course, saying that the said origins of that liberty are with God, but that's not the point I'm addressing). Both of these are good ideas. The one person was willing to compromise with my proposal, while the other was not.

Now, "Liberty for All"--or a similar variant--is something that contains both of these ideas: the idea that we can all choose our own path in life (be it seeking the Kingdom of God or anything else), and the idea that the South, and the values of a constitutional republic such as ours, are not limited to one religion or set of religions, or groups of people who we approve of, but apply to every single individual human, regardless of who they are, how they live, what they look like, or what they believe in.

The arguments for the motto that ultimately passed (of course, it only passed due to a surprise 2-2 vote on the amendment to change the motto and other things in the bill--such as a great flag--that no one wanted to oppose over one part of it) are deeply flawed--and I feel it needs to be articulated why. I will address two specific ideas: one is false, the other is irrelevant:

First of all, the idea that this motto (Quaerite Prime Regnum Dei, translated to "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God") is somehow religiously neutral is frankly absurd. This is not political correctness on my part at all, nor is it some witch-hunt against Christianity, it's simple common sense. If a Buddhist said "Seek ye first Nirvana," and tried to say that, since "Nirvana" means "enlightenment," it could apply to anyone who wanted enlightenment in any way (or anyone who likes the band Nirvana), I would call that motto ridiculous. To reiterate, there is no way that "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God" is in any way religiously neutral. And yes, I think this does matter--we shouldn't endorse one religion over another any more than we might endorse one sports team over another ("Seek ye first a Falcons Superbowl," anyone? Tongue). And it should make no difference whatsoever if it's a majority religion or not.

Second of all, we kept hearing the argument that "Our country is founded upon individual liberty, the idea that our rights come from [a] creator, as proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence."[source] The thing is, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God" has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with individual liberty. Like, at all. If the motto was "Our Liberty Comes from God" or whatever, that might make more sense.

TL;DR: the motto that (barely) passed is in no way religiously neutral, and the main argument used to support it has nothing to do with the motto itself. "Liberty for All" combines both the ideas that were discussed.

(sorry I wrote this, I feel someone had to do it. Tongue)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »

I enjoy the idea of a Latin motto a lot. Here are three I translated:

Non nobis solum deorum aut regum = No Gods or Kings, Only Man. (Big Bioshock Fan Wink )
OR...
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit = To boldly go where no one has gone before. (Big Trekkie Fan too)
OR...
Libertatem nobis omnibus tyrannis nulli. = Liberty for all, tyranny to none.

Those are mine. Y'all can pick, but those are my suggestions.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »

Why not Deo Vindice?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 02:58:04 PM »

There are a number of reasons.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »

This is why you need me to write this stuff.

Fidem, praedium, familiam, libertatem.

"Faith, farms, family, freedom"
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »

Then you should've kept on running and not throw a hissy fit and drop out like a blank (female cat)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »

I like the allitertation, but as a non-religious, single, non-farming, guy I feel a little excluded by this motto.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If I had stayed running I would have had to support all the nonsense that the Fed party supports. Thank God I don't have to do that anymore.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »

It's better than what the Feds managed to come up with, IMO.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 03:16:48 PM »

Just gonna stick my neck out for "Deo Vindice" or "Sic Semper Tyrannis"
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »

Guys, Ben Kenobi might have been a bit too subtle, so you might not have noticed this, but I don't think he likes the Federalist Party. I'll admit it was a bit hard to tell for me until he spelled it out, but I've realized it now.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »

If I had stayed running I would have had to support all the nonsense that the Fed party supports. Thank God I don't have to do that anymore.

Now instead you have to support all of the nonsense that the Labor party supports. Grin
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 03:50:35 PM »

I don't see myself running as a candidate for them, eh?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »

Now instead you have to support all of the nonsense intelligent thoughts and ideals that the Labor party supports. Grin

Fixed.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 01:14:48 AM »

Currently, it says that 22 people have voted. It also says that 8 people are not from the region, which means that 14 of the people are. It says that 9 people are for the current motto, 7 are against it. 9 + 7 = 16. In other words, a couple people from outside the region voiced their opinion. Therefore, this poll is clearly not an entirely accurate depiction of popular opinion (as if I need to prove the shakiness of Atlas polls Tongue).

This, of course, is the only rational explanation why a bible verse for a motto is allegedly supported by most of the people on a forum comprised mostly of atheists, agnostics, and secular Christians (this may come as a shock to some, but you can be a Christian without thinking you have to shove it down everyone's throat, and supporting things that are religiously neutral does not mean you're a "God-hating atheist commie PC police" or whatever).
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 08:59:01 PM »

It always amuses me when the same people who are constantly complaining about "muh political correctness" become VERY OFFENDED when it is pointed out that not everyone shares their beliefs.

For the record, that's not directed at any particular poster - just a general observation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies