Gingrich: White Americans "don't understand being black in America"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:20:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gingrich: White Americans "don't understand being black in America"  (Read 1715 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/287026-gingrich-white-americans-dont-understand-being-black-in-america

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich on Friday said white Americans "don't understand being black in America" as he reflected on a series of shootings across the nation this week.

“It took me a long time and a number of people talking to me over the years to begin to get a sense of this: If you are a normal, white American, the truth is you don’t understand being black in America and you instinctively underestimate the level of discrimination and the level of additional risk," Gingrich said.

The former Speaker and potential Donald Trump vice presidential pick discussed race during a live Facebook video with liberal commentator Van Jones.

The discussion came after police killed black men in Baton Rouge, La., and suburban St. Paul, Minn., earlier this week, and a gunman killed five police officers in Dallas on Thursday night during a protest against the earlier killings.

"We've got to rethink what it means to be American and how we function together as an extended family," Gingrich said.

(I'm honestly not sure if this helps or hurts his chances of being Trump's VP)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »

Wow. Did Gingrich actually say something sensible? No way he's VP now.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »

What makes accusing an entire race of something sensible? I could also say that black America doesn't understand whites.

This doesn't help either side and just inflames hatred even more.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »

I could also say that black America doesn't understand whites.

Aww...tell us your fears of getting pulled over for a traffic violation? A $60 ticket?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwDoTg-Kljw

Newt & Sharpton - best buds?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »

A lot of what he said is true, but this: "if you're a normal, white American" is still a bit... puzzling. Well, baby steps, I guess.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »

i see no reason to view this as anything more than a proverbial stopped clock moment
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »

What makes accusing an entire race of something sensible? I could also say that black America doesn't understand whites.

This doesn't help either side and just inflames hatred even more.
The difference is whites are more likely to get angry at blacks for making comments about the institutions we live in. Additionally, whites don't have to worry about their kids getting executed in cold blood
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »

A semi-humanizing moment from the Grinch? Wonder how this'll play with Trumpettes?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »

A semi-humanizing moment from the Grinch? Wonder how this'll play with Trumpettes?

I love it! Gingrich, like Trump, always knows the right thing to say. He tells it exactly like it is.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »

A lot of what he said is true, but this: "if you're a normal, white American" is still a bit... puzzling. Well, baby steps, I guess.
I think he means average, by that.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »

What's the big deal? Of course Gingrich is right. Blacks suffer a lot. This is not new. We all know this. However, Black Lives Matter is making it worse for all Americans.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:51:27 PM »

What's the big deal? Of course Gingrich is right. Blacks suffer a lot. This is not new. We all know this. However, Black Lives Matter is making it worse for all Americans.
Yeah. It's right up their with slave uprisings and the Civil War.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »

America has a bad racial history. We all know that. We tried racial harmony. Those days are over. Today is a new day in America's racial past and it's sad. Race relations are over now, because of President Obama and his acolytes. It's clear this is a full out war.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »

America has a bad racial history. We all know that. We tried racial harmony. Those days are over. Today is a new day in America's racial past and it's sad. Race relations are over now, because of President Obama and his acolytes. It's clear this is a full out war.

You can't be serious. You're blaming a guy who tried to make it painfully clear that he wasn't of the old generation of black civil rights activists, whose appointments are mostly white, who makes it clear that he has a ton of respect for police, and who hasn't bothered to sign pardons for non-violent drug crimes? Cmon.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »

Trump's white nationalist supporters would never allow Gingrich now. RIP VP Newt.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »

Those days are over. Today is a new day in America's racial past and it's sad. Race relations are over now, because of President Obama and his acolytes. It's clear this is a full out war.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »

Aren't you a truffle of happiness.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

How'd that work out?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »

Aren't you a truffle of happiness.

I'm disappointed in America. Period. I'm disappointed in the brutish actions of the police and the brutish acts of BLM as well.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »

Gingrich kind of just talks. Sometimes the words he says are in the right order.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »

Go back to 1980's South Africa.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »

Sadly I have to agree.  Having a biracial president for the first time in history is 100% proof that we are doomed to a race war. [/snark]

You can't be serious. You're blaming a guy who tried to make it painfully clear that he wasn't of the old generation of black civil rights activists, whose appointments are mostly white, who makes it clear that he has a ton of respect for police, and who hasn't bothered to sign pardons for non-violent drug crimes? Cmon.

Yeah the president is getting skewered by Tavis Smiley and Cornel West and bronz4141 is telling us he is the vanguard of the race war.

PS I am shocked and pleased about Gingrich's statement... just hope he doesn't walk it back.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 11:25:24 PM »

Aww...tell us your fears of getting pulled over for a traffic violation? A $60 ticket?

Because anybody who acts like a normal human being will never ever come close to having a cop need to use any sort of force whatsoever.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 11:42:43 PM »

Because anybody who acts like a normal human being will never ever come close to having a cop need to use any sort of force whatsoever.

I'd love to live in your bubble.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies