When did infrastructure become so popular among Democrats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When did infrastructure become so popular among Democrats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did infrastructure become so popular among Democrats?  (Read 1696 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« on: July 09, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »
« edited: July 09, 2016, 12:11:45 PM by Schadenfreude »

So looking all the way back to 2000, out of 600,000 bridges, and 20,000 that are apparently in immediate danger of collapse, there are only two collapses that can actually be attributed to something wrong with the bridge itself, and none since 2007, with everything else being unavoidable accidents or weather.

Please PM me your real name so I can make sure I never hire you for a mission critical job.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »

So looking all the way back to 2000, out of 600,000 bridges, and 20,000 that are apparently in immediate danger of collapse, there are only two collapses that can actually be attributed to something wrong with the bridge itself, and none since 2007, with everything else being unavoidable accidents or weather.

Please PM me your real name so I can make sure I never hire you for a mission critical job.

Roll Eyes

In a field as complex, with as many people involved, and with as many unknown variables as bridge building, an 0.0003% failure rate over sixteen years isn't a damn emergency.

I never used the word emergency.  Where I work we take care of mission critical stuff to avoid emergencies.

Please PM me your name to remind me never to hire you for a middle management role.  I can tell you're one of those managers who insists on absolutely zero issues rather than understanding probabilities, tradeoffs and practicalities... they usually don't last very long.

I'm sure your mommy and daddy are very proud of your job hiring middle managers but I went to school just so I wouldn't have to be a middle manager let alone work for someone with your attitude towards safety.

I don't know where this middle manager tangent is even coming from.  Where I have worked the bulk of the mission critical regulations came from the city, state, and federal government as well as multiple professional bodies and legal and compliance added their garnish to the whole affair.  Do you work at a petting zoo?  Middle managers at airlines are not the ones that set the FAA regulations for when and how planes get serviced.  Thank God.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/U-S-commercial-airlines-have-safest-decade-ever-2435203.php

I'm glad the FAA and the airlines take passenger safety a lot more seriously than Steve.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So in almost 15 years there hasn't been a single deadly crash involving one of the major US Airlines.  While Steve just shrugs and accepts that bridges are too complex and one falling every once in a while is totally okay the major US Airlines have taken a zero tolerance attitude to crashes while hurtling thousands of aluminum cans 7 miles above the earth's surface full of people... and providing dirt cheap prices at the same time.  Why would anyone in their right mind argue against this?

Steel prices hit a record low in December 2015.  Why, oh why, would someone argue against picking up some dirt cheap steel and preventing a catastrophe?

I was just shocked by this thread because in all my professional jobs we over trained and serviced things aggressively.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 07:25:57 PM »

They have a zero tolerance attitude but plane crashes still happen.

I don't know if this is a reading comprehension issue or a weak ass internet forum tactic for someone with egg on their face.  Let me repeat.  There have been ZERO deadly airplane crashes in the United States involving the major US airlines in the last 15 years.  They have a zero tolerance policy and they have ZERO deadly crashes.  Let me know if this needs to be written in crayon so some people can comprehend it.  Oh, and ticket prices on an inflation adjusted basis remain dirt cheap.

There simply is no excuse for major bridges to collapse in a first world country due to lack of maintenance.  And nowhere where I have ever worked could someone say that is okay and keep their job.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »

They have a zero tolerance attitude but plane crashes still happen.

There have been ZERO deadly airplane crashes in the United States involving the major US airlines in the last 15 years.  They have a zero tolerance policy and they have ZERO deadly crashes.

You should always strive for perfection.

The major US airlines are not striving for perfection.  They achieved it 15 years ago.  I know the ancient Babylonians did not have the concept of zero but really I would think even people in America with relatively poor educations would understand zero.

But it's not the emergency of the century.

When you are done arguing with your pet strawman please rejoin us in this thread.  No one in this thread said it was the emergency of the century.  And if you reread my post and comprehend it I specifically said you do basic maintenance to avoid emergencies.  The levy system in New Orleans had a much better track record than thousands of structures, companies, and industries... until it didn't.

Steve, when I started debating you I honestly thought I was missing something and you were going to reveal to us some special knowledge that we weren't privy to.  But my first assumption I posted seems correct.  You just don't know how maintenance of mission critical systems works.  As far as my relatively short career is concerned the infrastructure situation in this country is an aberration.  Letting stuff go so long without basic maintenance when labor, raw materials, and funding are so cheap is unheard of.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies