ATTENTION REGIONAL EXECUTIVES: A constitutional amendment has passed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ATTENTION REGIONAL EXECUTIVES: A constitutional amendment has passed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ATTENTION REGIONAL EXECUTIVES: A constitutional amendment has passed  (Read 324 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2016, 11:44:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment has passed by a 2/3 majority in the House and the Senate. It will now go to the regions for ratification. If ratified by 2/3 of regions, it will be officially approved as a constitutional amendment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »

Update: The amendment now officially has 2/3 of all members in both chambers voting for the amendment. Smiley
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 12:48:33 PM »

The vote was closed before the last aye vote, so not two thirds.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »

The vote was closed before the last aye vote, so not two thirds.
The House has no rules.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »

So voting period doesn't end when the seaker says so?

It's basically free for all then.
Why operate with no rules.... It should have been one of the first things done, decide how you organize the procedures.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »

2/3 of House members have "deemed it necessary" to propose this constitutional amendment to The People. If there were specific rules in the House stating you can't vote after it closes, you might have a case to try and stall this as well, but I don't see it here.

That being said, I think the House should suspend all debate on legislation until it sets rules. This was the first item of business the Senate did (after we passed the emergency election regulations) and it is absolutely necessary to maintain order and prevent chaos (like this) from occurring.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »

If there are no rules, how has anything the House did previously valid? I mean a bill could need unanimity to pass, no amendment proposal are allowed etc. They operated on nothing.

The speaker closed the vote after sufficient time allowed for members to vote. The bill failed because of insufficent yay votes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »

I think the House should suspend all debate on legislation until it sets rules. This was the first item of business the Senate did (after we passed the emergency election regulations) and it is absolutely necessary to maintain order and prevent chaos (like this) from occurring.
^^^Still my position. Following the provision on amendments in the constitution, what is required from Congress occurred: 2/3 in both chambers said this should go to The People. But you're absolutely right in that it is unacceptable for a chamber to operate without any rules, and this needs to be rectified right away. I am currently working on writing rules for the House (similar to what we passed in the Senate) and I'd appreciate your help if you're willing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies