In the event of an electoral college tie, who does the House vote for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:27:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  In the event of an electoral college tie, who does the House vote for?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In the event of an EC tie, who does the House vote for?
Donald John Trump

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: In the event of an electoral college tie, who does the House vote for?  (Read 1296 times)
Camaro33
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.23, S: 0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »

In the event of an electoral college 269-269 tie, who does the House vote for? Given that Hillary has support from many congressional and public Republicans against Trump, it would be interesting to see how many cross over votes there would be. Assume no compromise candidate, or if you must, say which other candidate might arise. What do you think?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »

They would vote Trump. Clinton has "many" congressional Repubs supporting her? Really?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »

Neither. The vote is abandoned, and Ryan sworn in on inauguration day.
cwt

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »

Assume no compromise candidate, or if you must, say which other candidate might arise. What do you think?

There can't be a compromise candidate, unless someone other than Trump or Clinton wins some EVs.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »

Enough strategically placed Republicans abstain that Trump does not win (although a majority of the House by numbers almost certainly votes for Trump). Ryan is sworn in as Acting President on January 21.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »

Assume no compromise candidate, or if you must, say which other candidate might arise. What do you think?

There can't be a compromise candidate, unless someone other than Trump or Clinton wins some EVs.

There could be a faithless elector voting for someone who did not even run.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »

Enough strategically placed Republicans abstain that Trump does not win (although a majority of the House by numbers almost certainly votes for Trump). Ryan is sworn in as Acting President on January 21.

Actually, the Senate would vote for VP between say Kaine and Pence, and one of them would become Acting President until the House picked (if ever). Only if the Senate tied as well and for some reason Biden couldn't break a tie (death, resignation, etc) would Ryan become Acting President I believe.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »

Neither. The vote is abandoned, and Ryan sworn in on inauguration day.
cwt

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »

If they all vote along party lines, it would be Trump 30, Clinton 16. Iowa, Maine, Nevada, and New Jersey all have split delegations.

If Clinton somehow gets all the split delegations, she'd still need at least 6 Republican delegations to flip in order to win. Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Florida? It'd be a longshot.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 03:13:49 PM »

If they all vote along party lines, it would be Trump 30, Clinton 16. Iowa, Maine, Nevada, and New Jersey all have split delegations.

If Clinton somehow gets all the split delegations, she'd still need at least 6 Republican delegations to flip in order to win. Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Florida? It'd be a longshot.

Clinton's best strategy would be getting a faithless elector from DT to switch to her before the EC votes.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »

Trump, obviously.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 03:49:09 PM »

Assuming that the house didn't outright vote for Turnip, it would be up to the Senate to pick a VP. The Seante would have 17 days between the 3rd and the 20th to pick a VP before Ryan became Actung President. If the Dems can hit 50, they'll have Biden for the tie breaker. If the Republicans stay at 51 or more, they'll vote for Turnip's VP. I highly doubt that Ryan would become Acting President in this scenario.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »

Clinton's best strategy would be getting a faithless elector from DT to switch to her before the EC votes.

Bingo.  And it wouldn't particularly surprise me if she did, or, if it went to a 12th Amendment vote in congress, they just resolve to do nothing so that Ryan can be Acting President straight through to 2020.  Of course, the latter plan only works if Republicans hold the Senate, because a Dem Senate would put forward Hillary's VP, who would take precedence over Ryan. 

If Clinton won the popular vote, I could see an elector or two voting for her. If Clinton wins popular vote and the House just lets Ryan become Pres for 4 years, it's going to be a hell of a four years from both Dems and Trump supporters. This scenario seems way more problematic than delegates dumping Trump at the convention.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »

Bingo.  And it wouldn't particularly surprise me if she did, or, if it went to a 12th Amendment vote in congress, they just resolve to do nothing so that Ryan can be Acting President straight through to 2020.  Of course, the latter plan only works if Republicans hold the Senate, because a Dem Senate would put forward Hillary's VP, who would take precedence over Ryan. 

If Clinton won the popular vote, I could see an elector or two voting for her. If Clinton wins popular vote and the House just lets Ryan become Pres for 4 years, it's going to be a hell of a four years from both Dems and Trump supporters. This scenario seems way more problematic than delegates dumping Trump at the convention.

Actually, you need a numerical majority under the 12th Amendment.  The VP doesn't get to break ties, so a 50/50 senate just deadlocks indefinitely until someone defects.  I'm looking at you, Collins, Kirk and Manchin.

Are you saying Veep lied to me?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »

Actually, you need a numerical majority under the 12th Amendment.  The VP doesn't get to break ties, so a 50/50 senate just deadlocks indefinitely until someone defects.  I'm looking at you, Collins, Kirk and Manchin.

Are you saying Veep lied to me?

Yes, that season of Veep got several things wrong.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »

It's the new senate that votes; Kirk won't be there.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »

From Article I:

"3.4 The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided."

From Amendment 12:

"...and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice."

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/03/19/393658619/a-first-for-joe-biden-could-break-tie-for-attorney-general

Granted, Biden's vote was not needed to confirm Lynch, but if he could have used it to confirm a cabinet member, why couldn't he use it to vote for VP? The tie breaking vote in the Senate is an inherent power of the VP. If the 12th amendment specified otherwise, then ok. However, there is no mention of the VP not being able to break a tie in the Senate when voting for a new VP as a result of a high electoral college.

If the Senate is tied 50-50 between the two VP candidates, Biden would have the tie breaking vote assuming it happened before January 20th.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 04:26:58 PM »

From Article I:

"3.4 The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided."

From Amendment 12:

"...and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice."

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/03/19/393658619/a-first-for-joe-biden-could-break-tie-for-attorney-general

Granted, Biden's vote was not needed to confirm Lynch, but if he could have used it to confirm a cabinet member, why couldn't he use it to vote for VP? The tie breaking vote in the Senate is an inherent power of the VP. If the 12th amendment specified otherwise, then ok. However, there is no mention of the VP not being able to break a tie in the Senate when voting for a new VP as a result of a high electoral college.

If the Senate is tied 50-50 between the two VP candidates, Biden would have the tie breaking vote assuming it happened before January 20th.

Because as you've just quoted, the 12th Amendment does specify otherwise. The Vice President doesn't get to cast a tie-breaking vote for VP in the event of an electoral college tie because "a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice." A majority of the whole number of what? Of senators. The Vice President, while President of the Senate, is not a senator. His tie-breaking power doesn't apply here for the same reason that it doesn't apply when the Senate votes to ratify a treaty; the Constitution sets a higher threshold for this specific scenario.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 04:32:02 PM »

This is where there could actually be an extra wrinkle. Under the law as it is now, the incoming senate would vote. But I don't think the Constitution mandates that result. If Dems take the Senate, the outgoing Republican congress could try to pass a law during the lame duck session to move up the counting of electoral votes to before January 3rd, thus allowing the outgoing congress to proceed to choose the President and Vice President.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 04:33:34 PM »

This is where there could actually be an extra wrinkle. Under the law as it is now, the incoming senate would vote. But I don't think the Constitution mandates that result. If Dems take the Senate, the outgoing Republican congress could try to pass a law during the lame duck session to move up the counting of electoral votes to before January 3rd, thus allowing the outgoing congress to proceed to choose the President and Vice President.

Obama would never sign it and Congress couldn't overturn the veto though.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »

Obama would never sign it and Congress couldn't overturn the veto though.

True.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »

Going back to the point that someone made about treaties, 67/101 is less than two-thirds (66.34%), so it wouldn't work out because of the math. 67/100 (no VP) would ratify the treaty though.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »

There'll probably be at least a few faithless Republican electors, so a 269-269 tie seems unlikely.  Maybe Paul Ryan comes in third in the electoral college, and the House elects him.  (Or deadlocks, when none of the three candidates gets a majority.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies