IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:12:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in.  (Read 7222 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 01:43:43 PM »

Evan Bayh, in my view, is exactly what the left-wing opposition in America should be like...I'd love to see him return to the Senate, but it would be a real shame if it was at the expense of the Senate majority. I'd still vote Young, obviously, but I'd love to see Bayh back as long as McConnell was still Majority Leader.

So, conservative and compliant.  Got it.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »

Bayh is one of those who was touted around 2005 as a possible 2008 Dem presidential nominee...because back then only a moderate, white and inoffensive swing-state politician could possibly have won the WH for the Dems in 2008....
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2016, 01:57:38 PM »

Wait... Didn't the primary already happen? How is this possible?

What the actual  is happening.
Look a few posts above, I asked the same question. Basically, until July 15, Indiana legally allows parties to change their nominee.

Damn that's such garbage. So someone who wasn't even voted on by his party just gets to be the nominee two months after they chose a nominee. So corrupt, filing deadlines and primaries don't matter I guess. Screw democracy, I'll just use my power and money to lobby the nominee out so I can be the nominee and the other guy just exits like a submissive weakling, all because he couldn't decide on time or because he wanted a convenient time. We might as well be returning to smoke filled rooms.

F*** Indiana if they elect this man.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »

Tossup. Was never the biggest fan of Bayh, but this is wonderful news.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2016, 02:02:26 PM »

Bayh dicked around last election with the filing deadlines, and we saw how that turned out.  I lost a lot of respect for him because of that.  Ugh.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »

Bayh dicked around last election with the filing deadlines, and we saw how that turned out.  I lost a lot of respect for him because of that.  Ugh.
?? Could you please explain?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »

This is a guy who has never fallen below 61% in a statewide race with a golden last name and $10 million in the bank. This should be at Leans D now, and that's a conservative estimate.

He got 53% in 1988 in the Governor's election, but yeah visualizing Bayh actually losing an Indiana election is diffucult. Lean D sounds about right.

But why is Bayh so popular in Indiana? He's less socially right-wing as he is economically right-wing. And for Democrats, he's nowhere close to as liberal as his father.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

He waited until the day after the filing deadline to announce his retirement.  The state party's executive committee picked Ellsworth to run for the seat.  The voters didn't select the Senate candidate last election, and they won't get to this time, either.  Same seat, same guy screwing his party for personal convenience.  It... looks bad.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »

Wait... Didn't the primary already happen? How is this possible?

What the actual  is happening.
Look a few posts above, I asked the same question. Basically, until July 15, Indiana legally allows parties to change their nominee.

Damn that's such garbage. So someone who wasn't even voted on by his party just gets to be the nominee two months after they chose a nominee. So corrupt, filing deadlines and primaries don't matter I guess. Screw democracy, I'll just use my power and money to lobby the nominee out so I can be the nominee and the other guy just exits like a submissive weakling, all because he couldn't decide on time or because he wanted a convenient time. We might as well be returning to smoke filled rooms.

F*** Indiana if they elect this man.
Totally agree 100%. This is corrupt. There should be laws against this (unless a nominee is chosen as a running mate of course). I hope Bayh loses especially because of this.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2016, 02:18:43 PM »

Why didn't he run in the primaries if he wanted to be senator again? Is he jumping in because the democrats see chances in Indiana now Trump is about to choose Pence as his running mate?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »

Lol, realize that Bayh had more COH than Trump did after May, still might. Cheesy
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »

Why didn't he run in the primaries if he wanted to be senator again? Is he jumping in because the democrats see chances in Indiana now Trump is about to choose Pence as his running mate?

For sure, it's a lot of political calculation.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »

I can't imagine him jumping in without having very consistent internal polling that has him up by a decent amount.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »

I can't imagine him jumping in without having very consistent internal polling that has him up by a decent amount.

Agree.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2016, 02:33:39 PM »

He waited until the day after the filing deadline to announce his retirement.  The state party's executive committee picked Ellsworth to run for the seat.  The voters didn't select the Senate candidate last election, and they won't get to this time, either.  Same seat, same guy screwing his party for personal convenience.  It... looks bad.
Thanks for explaining, I tried looking it up but couldn't get much info. The guy is a corrupt opportunist. Just wondering, were there hypothetical polls that showed Coats beating him?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »

Where the hell did Bayh even get all that money before suddenly announcing a campaign?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »

Thanks for explaining, I tried looking it up but couldn't get much info. The guy is a corrupt opportunist. Just wondering, were there hypothetical polls that showed Coats beating him?

Not to my knowledge.  I didn't see any polls with that matchup.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »

Where the hell did Bayh even get all that money before suddenly announcing a campaign?

It's from his 2010 campaign that he abandoned and never gave to anyone else in 2010, 2012, or 2014.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »

Isn't most of his 2010 money from his aborted 2008 Pres campaign?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »

It's from his 2010 campaign that he abandoned and never gave to anyone else in 2010, 2012, or 2014.

What a great guy.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »

Smart guy.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »

Bayh sucks. I'd say pure tossup. There will be a lot of split ticket voting, I suspect Young will run ahead of Trump in the donut counties but behind him most everywhere else.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »

Is Bayh purposely trolling the Democrats or something?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »

Will anyone else find this ironic if he wins, considering he's succeeding his predecessuccessor Dan Coats who literally did the exact same trick.

And if he loses, anyone else reminded of Nebraska 2012?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »

This is a guy who has never fallen below 61% in a statewide race with a golden last name and $10 million in the bank. This should be at Leans D now, and that's a conservative estimate.

He got 53% in 1988 in the Governor's election, but yeah visualizing Bayh actually losing an Indiana election is diffucult. Lean D sounds about right.

But why is Bayh so popular in Indiana? He's less socially right-wing as he is economically right-wing. And for Democrats, he's nowhere close to as liberal as his father.

Bayh is boring and annoying, and Indiana is boring and annoying.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies