IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in.  (Read 7223 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »

CNN Report Questions Evan Bayh's Indiana Residency
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »

Dan Coats literally dropped in from North Carolina 6 years ago and had no problem to win.
I doubt it's any different this time.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »

This is just downright stupid.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2016, 06:53:14 PM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »

Dan Coats literally dropped in from North Carolina 6 years ago and had no problem to win.

Well, he had that trademark (R) next to his name. No petty residency thing matters if you have that in Indiana.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »

Well, he had that trademark (R) next to his name. No petty residency thing matters if you have that in Indiana.

And this year it's good to have a D next to your name and run against Trump's party.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »

It was definitely an issue in the 2010 primary, though Stutzman wasn't well known enough to gain the traction to take him down. As I said back then, had Stuztman been given another month to campaign, he would be the incumbent senator right now running for reelection.

Residency was also a big reason for Lugar's (R) loss in 2012. I think your statement is bogus; this has been a bigger issue in the past with Republicans than Democrats. Considering we lost the other senate seat over this issue, I think it is a fair point for Young to bring up.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2016, 11:32:48 PM »

It was definitely an issue in the 2010 primary, though Stutzman wasn't well known enough to gain the traction to take him down. As I said back then, had Stuztman been given another month to campaign, he would be the incumbent senator right now running for reelection.

Residency was also a big reason for Lugar's (R) loss in 2012. I think your statement is bogus; this has been a bigger issue in the past with Republicans than Democrats. Considering we lost the other senate seat over this issue, I think it is a fair point for Young to bring up.

Indeed.

Anyone remember Santorum's residency issues? Granted he was pretty much sunk anyway, but it didn't help he was basically living in VA and his Penn Hills home looked completely uninhabited.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:08 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIjnskTwV0

A Republican alligned PAC should put the first minute of this on the air.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2016, 11:53:32 PM »

I'm not saying this isn't a smooth idea in theory, but does Bill Maher resonate with Indiana Dems/Centrists? I could almost see moderate/conservative Dems and Indies finding a condemnation from Bill Maher a good thing.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2016, 12:02:52 AM »

I'm not saying this isn't a smooth idea in theory, but does Bill Maher resonate with Indiana Dems/Centrists? I could almost see moderate/conservative Dems and Indies finding a condemnation from Bill Maher a good thing.

Its more the message of Bayh fighting for corporations first and people second.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2016, 12:22:18 AM »

Yeah, I definitely see your point. I just think that often when you use video/audio/quotes of someone in a political ad, usually the messenger is the message.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2016, 12:34:41 AM »

Yeah, I definitely see your point. I just think that often when you use video/audio/quotes of someone in a political ad, usually the messenger is the message.

Especially if Maher will undoubtedly condemn the ad on his show and probably all-but-endorse Bayh just to spite Republicans using him in an ad.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2016, 12:35:55 AM »

Especially if Maher will undoubtedly condemn the ad on his show and probably all-but-endorse Bayh just to spite Republicans using him in an ad.
Yeah those were easy words for Maher when Bayh was leaving, but now that Bayh plays a key role in retaking Senate, I bet he'll find that a shaky majority is far preferable to a minority hold.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:27 AM »

Yeah those were easy words for Maher when Bayh was leaving, but now that Bayh plays a key role in retaking Senate, I bet he'll find that a shaky majority is far preferable to a minority hold.

THat will work with Democrats, but not necessarily with indies and Republicans off put by the notion that Bayh is corrupted by special interests. The key is to hit from all sides and even if Maher does endorse him for the sake of the majority, he cannot exactly recant the substance and that is what matters. Maher will not be the only source for that attack line.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2016, 12:50:03 AM »

I totally agree. Young and the NRSC need to really bring this up and pound Bayh hard on it. If we lost the other seat four years ago due to similar issues, we can use this against Bayh this time around. I'd like to see a non-DSCC poll of this race soon.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2016, 12:51:14 AM »

THat will work with Democrats, but not necessarily with indies and Republicans off put by the notion that Bayh is corrupted by special interests. The key is to hit from all sides and even if Maher does endorse him for the sake of the majority, he cannot exactly recant the substance and that is what matters. Maher will not be the only source for that attack line.
Hmm, yeah that's true. I guess that would be an awkward line to walk. It could scramble the message and unity of the Dem side from within, and that's not a bad plan.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »

I dont think it will really matter in the end.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2016, 09:57:38 AM »

I think if Bill Maher endorsed Bayh, had been raving about him for years etc then Bayh wouldn't be winning in Indiana
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »

Another report: Bayh listed as an inactive voter in Indiana as recent as last week.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »

Does this even matter? It didn't when Indiana voted Dan Coats in 2010. Also Bayh has never lived in Indiana for long periods of time, even when he was Governor.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2016, 01:38:25 PM »

Does this even matter? It didn't when Indiana voted Dan Coats in 2010. Also Bayh has never lived in Indiana for long periods of time, even when he was Governor.
It sunk Lugar in 2012, when sentiment against insiders wasn't nearly as high as it is now. More stuff for Young to pound on, though he should also air positive ads, too.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »

It sunk Lugar in 2012, when sentiment against insiders wasn't nearly as high as it is now. More stuff for Young to pound on, though he should also air positive ads, too.

It sank Lugar in a primary and it was hardly the deciding factor. If he was renominated he still would have demolished Donnelly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies