IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:48:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN-SEN: Bayh reportedly in.  (Read 7452 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« on: July 11, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »

Oh wow. I woke up this morning to this. Still Tilt R at the moment. This is exactly why it was great for Young to win the primary. Stutzman was polling within the MoE against Hill, he'd be trailing Bayh. Now the NRSC may have to divert resources into this race, but Young still has an edge. Just bring up some of Bayh's Senate votes, discuss majority, and that helps.

P.S. The primaries were two months ago. How was Bayh legally allowed to jump in?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »

Oh wow. I woke up this morning to this. Still Tilt R at the moment. This is exactly why it was great for Young to win the primary. Stutzman was polling within the MoE against Hill, he'd be trailing Bayh. Now the NRSC may have to divert resources into this race, but Young still has an edge. Just bring up some of Bayh's Senate votes, discuss majority, and that helps.

P.S. The primaries were two months ago. How was Bayh legally allowed to jump in?

Same reason Pence can be VP and get replaced on the ballot. State law allows the candidates and the parties to switch nominees until July 15.
Thanks for explaining, I didn't know.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »

Cook also followed Sabato's lead and changed the rating to tossup. Rothenberg-Gonzales even changed it to Tossup/Tilt Democratic. Funny how a few nights ago I found out that Bayh still has a $10 million war chest. I was wondering what he would do with it.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »

Wait... Didn't the primary already happen? How is this possible?

What the actual  is happening.
Look a few posts above, I asked the same question. Basically, until July 15, Indiana legally allows parties to change their nominee.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »

Bayh dicked around last election with the filing deadlines, and we saw how that turned out.  I lost a lot of respect for him because of that.  Ugh.
?? Could you please explain?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »

Wait... Didn't the primary already happen? How is this possible?

What the actual  is happening.
Look a few posts above, I asked the same question. Basically, until July 15, Indiana legally allows parties to change their nominee.

Damn that's such garbage. So someone who wasn't even voted on by his party just gets to be the nominee two months after they chose a nominee. So corrupt, filing deadlines and primaries don't matter I guess. Screw democracy, I'll just use my power and money to lobby the nominee out so I can be the nominee and the other guy just exits like a submissive weakling, all because he couldn't decide on time or because he wanted a convenient time. We might as well be returning to smoke filled rooms.

F*** Indiana if they elect this man.
Totally agree 100%. This is corrupt. There should be laws against this (unless a nominee is chosen as a running mate of course). I hope Bayh loses especially because of this.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:33:39 PM »

Bayh dicked around last election with the filing deadlines, and we saw how that turned out.  I lost a lot of respect for him because of that.  Ugh.
?? Could you please explain?

He waited until the day after the filing deadline to announce his retirement.  The state party's executive committee picked Ellsworth to run for the seat.  The voters didn't select the Senate candidate last election, and they won't get to this time, either.  Same seat, same guy screwing his party for personal convenience.  It... looks bad.
Thanks for explaining, I tried looking it up but couldn't get much info. The guy is a corrupt opportunist. Just wondering, were there hypothetical polls that showed Coats beating him?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »

Republicans are considering doing the same thing with Pence, so fair is fair. Tongue
No, it's not the same thing. Pence may get picked as Trump's running mate, meaning he has to be off the ballot for governor, meaning someone else has to replace him.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »

Republicans are considering doing the same thing with Pence, so fair is fair. Tongue
No, it's not the same thing. Pence may get picked as Trump's running mate, meaning he has to be off the ballot for governor, meaning someone else has to replace him.

^^^

Hill dropped out, meaning he has to be off the ballot for Senator, meaning someone else has to replace him Tongue

Well, let's not pretend like Hill just dropped out all by himself. There is 100% chance that he was anywhere from nudged to pushed out.
That's probably true, I'm sure Bayh lobbied/bullied Hill out of the race.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »

When was the last election that all the toss-up and close Senate races didn't go to the winning party? I see Toomey being like Kay Hagen, someone who is leading or close in the polls until the end but gets pulled under by the wave if Trump collapses.

Maybe 1996?  That's the last time I can think of when the tossups split basically evenly.
1998?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »

Great news! I'd really like to see Kirk and Bayh in Congress together, however unlikely that is.
Just realized that the two actually did coexist in the Senate for 36 days, since Kirk took office early (his Senate election also had a special election to determine who filled out the last 5 weeks of Obama's term). Smiley
Of course, from 2001-2010, Kirk also served as a Congressman alongside Sen. Bayh.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »

CNN Report Questions Evan Bayh's Indiana Residency
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 12:50:03 AM »

Dan Coats literally dropped in from North Carolina 6 years ago and had no problem to win.
I doubt it's any different this time.

Well, he had that trademark (R) next to his name. No petty residency thing matters if you have that in Indiana.
It was definitely an issue in the 2010 primary, though Stutzman wasn't well known enough to gain the traction to take him down. As I said back then, had Stuztman been given another month to campaign, he would be the incumbent senator right now running for reelection.

Residency was also a big reason for Lugar's (R) loss in 2012. I think your statement is bogus; this has been a bigger issue in the past with Republicans than Democrats. Considering we lost the other senate seat over this issue, I think it is a fair point for Young to bring up.
I totally agree. Young and the NRSC need to really bring this up and pound Bayh hard on it. If we lost the other seat four years ago due to similar issues, we can use this against Bayh this time around. I'd like to see a non-DSCC poll of this race soon.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »

Another report: Bayh listed as an inactive voter in Indiana as recent as last week.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 01:38:25 PM »

Does this even matter? It didn't when Indiana voted Dan Coats in 2010. Also Bayh has never lived in Indiana for long periods of time, even when he was Governor.
It sunk Lugar in 2012, when sentiment against insiders wasn't nearly as high as it is now. More stuff for Young to pound on, though he should also air positive ads, too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies