Justice Ginsburg: Trump would ruin the Supreme Court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:20:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Justice Ginsburg: Trump would ruin the Supreme Court
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Justice Ginsburg: Trump would ruin the Supreme Court  (Read 4124 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »

How about this compromise: Ginsburg retires if Republicans promise to confirm whomever Obama appoints to replace her (not Garland).
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2016, 08:07:41 PM »

Trump was actually getting some favorable coverage out of this for once, with even liberals saying what she said was inappropriate, but of course he has to immediately destroy any chance he has of this helping him by saying/doing something even worse than what he's criticizing, which is how he handles practically every issue.

And really, throwing a hissy fit and demanding she resign just makes him look like a crybaby, but again, what's new?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2016, 09:05:57 PM »

Trump was actually getting some favorable coverage out of this for once, with even liberals saying what she said was inappropriate, but of course he has to immediately destroy any chance he has of this helping him by saying/doing something even worse than what he's criticizing, which is how he handles practically every issue.

And really, throwing a hissy fit and demanding she resign just makes him look like a crybaby, but again, what's new?

But he is a "crybaby." He has hissy-fits and tantrums and he just cant control himself as he just must say ignorant things. And this filth is what some people want as our leader ?
Wow.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2016, 09:55:25 PM »

Trump will appoint someone just as bad as Ginsburg, don't be fooled, conservatives.

What we are sure of is that Clinton will appoint the worst possible people.

I didn't know Merrick Garland and Sri Srinivasan were "the worst possible people."

I think they are.

The ABA described Garland as "the perfect human being", while an anonymous Trump hack thinks that he's the worst possible person. Man, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding who to believe.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2016, 10:31:34 PM »

But he is a "crybaby." He has hissy-fits and tantrums and he just cant control himself as he just must say ignorant things. And this filth is what some people want as our leader ?
Wow.

He's a spoiled brat and a bully, with the mentality of a junior high-school student.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/14/ginsburg-apologizes-trump-comments/87074576/

Ginsburg  apologizes July 14  for remarks she made about Trump on July 11.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2016, 11:49:39 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Time for Ruth to pack it in.

Falling asleep during court sessions, now a Supreme Court Judge who has extremely inappropriately and very stupidly thrown herself into the Presidential campaign, playing right into Trump's hands.

If anyone else wishes to answer this question, please feel free to do so.

She's completely lost it.

Resign, resign, resign before you embarrass yourself further.

And by the way, with Judges like Ginsburg, the Supreme Court has already been ruined.

Are you still against Trump, or have you reconsidered, given what Hillary would do to the Supreme Court?

The Supreme Court issue is of paramount importance.  The next President could shape the face of the Supreme Court for possibly the next 30 years.

As you are no doubt aware, Trump has submitted a list of potential Supreme Court nominees, a list acceptable to those who want to have justices who respect the constitution, not who legislate from the bench.

The problem I have with this is that I am doubtful that Trump can be trusted to actually go through with his promise to appoint these types of judges to the bench.

To me, as I have believed for some time now, the Supreme Court issue is about the only issue where Trump is more acceptable than Clinton, but as stated above, I do not know whether Trump can be trusted to fulfill this promise.  

But what you must know is that Hillary will fulfill her promise.

I have a question for Ljube.

Do you believe that Trump, if elected, will in fact nominate for the Supreme Court justices from the list he has issued or at least justices like the ones on the list, that is to say, Constitutionalists along the lines of Scalia and Thomas?

Anyone else who would like to address this question please feel free to do so.
Redban

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2016, 11:47:10 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I surmise that she got criticized by the other justices privately.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2016, 12:03:23 PM »

Well I hope she can put this behind her. It should really be no big deal and she admitted she shouldn't have done it. Lesson learned, and she is still an all-time great justice.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 12:25:07 PM »

Well I hope she can put this behind her. It should really be no big deal and she admitted she shouldn't have done it. Lesson learned, and she is still an all-time great justice.

With all her experience and time on the bench,  she should have known better in the first place.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »

She should not have apologized.
CactusJack
Rookie
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »

Classless thing for her to say, but at least she apologized. Still she's a shrill old liberal kook and I suspect we'll hear more of these outbursts from her as she heads deeper into her twilight years.

I don't like the idea of anybody sitting on that court after 80 years of age anyway.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »

We should all stop pretending that SC justices are/should be patron saints of objectivity and justice.  They aren't, have never been, and will never be.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

You should NEVER apologize
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2016, 03:21:58 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2010/07/thomass-wife-takes-on-obama-039426
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »

Falling asleep during court sessions, now a Supreme Court Judge who has extremely inappropriately and very stupidly thrown herself into the Presidential campaign, playing right into Trump's hands.

And by the way, with Judges like Ginsburg, the Supreme Court has already been ruined.

Are you still against Trump, or have you reconsidered, given what Hillary would do to the Supreme Court?

The Supreme Court issue is of paramount importance.  The next President could shape the face of the Supreme Court for possibly the next 30 years.

As you are no doubt aware, Trump has submitted a list of potential Supreme Court nominees, a list acceptable to those who want to have justices who respect the constitution, not who legislate from the bench.

The problem I have with this is that I am doubtful that Trump can be trusted to actually go through with his promise to appoint these types of judges to the bench.

To me, as I have believed for some time now, the Supreme Court issue is about the only issue where Trump is more acceptable than Clinton, but as stated above, I do not know whether Trump can be trusted to fulfill this promise.  

Do you believe that Trump, if elected, will in fact nominate for the Supreme Court justices from the list he has issued or at least justices like the ones on the list, that is to say, Constitutionalists along the lines of Scalia and Thomas?

I believe there is a good chance he will.
But I must admit I am not sure.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »

I surmise that she got criticized by the other justices privately.

Of course she did, and rightly so; she was completely out of line, and hurt the image of the Court.

With all her experience and time on the bench,  she should have known better in the first place.

Agreed.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »

She's entitled to free speech and she is correct in what she said. If Clarence Thomas had come out and said that Hillary Clinton should have been indicted, most posters would have been co-signing.

Trump is a white supremacist, a rapist, a fraud and the list goes on. This is not a normal election.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »

She's entitled to free speech and she is correct in what she said. If Clarence Thomas had come out and said that Hillary Clinton should have been indicted, most posters would have been co-signing.

Trump is a white supremacist, a rapist, a fraud and the list goes on. This is not a normal election.

When you are on the bench, your personal opinions as to elections and candidates are kept to yourself.  Any jurist, especially one of Ginsburg's experience, should know that, and follow the protocol, otherwise they are simply asking for trouble. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2016, 10:58:08 PM »

I believe there is a good chance he will.
But I must admit I am not sure.

So you still have doubts about Trump's honesty and commitment.

So what else could he be lying about to the country?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2016, 04:43:33 PM »

Ginsburg apologized
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »

Are people more outraged about this than they are about the Supreme Court quite literally handing an election to someone in 2000?  Sad!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »

Yes we know.  I was the first to post that in this thread, which I did with citation, reply #83.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2016, 10:51:23 PM »

Are people more outraged about this than they are about the Supreme Court quite literally handing an election to someone in 2000?  Sad!

"liberal media"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2016, 03:37:14 AM »

Ginsberg AND Thomas should both STFU.

And Alito needs to stop boycotting the SATU speeches.

DON'T make the SCOTUS any more partisan than it is.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies