Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here  (Read 2015 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington is asking people to stop playing Pokemon Go throughout it's building.

You would think people would exercise common sense and not play the game in a place that documents the slaughter of 6+ million Jews and other people targted by Nazi Germany.

Here is the link to the article,
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/287361-holocaust-museum-stop-playing-pokemon-go-here
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »

But Ingress is okay, right?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »

Don't mind Pokemon Go.

At least kids are getting outside and walking around.

This will end up being bigger than Twitter and YouTube, you watch.

A virtual reality within a reality. Very ingenious.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:42:25 PM »

Not the same thing at all, but I've already had to crack down on my employees for playing this while on the clock.  I've seen that I'm far from the only person who has had to do this already.

Millennials disgust me sometimes, and I am one.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:06:27 PM »

Not the same thing at all, but I've already had to crack down on my employees for playing this while on the clock.  I've seen that I'm far from the only person who has had to do this already.

Millennials disgust me sometimes, and I am one.
I was hanging with a friend who showed me a post that one his friends put on Facebook about sneaking into a Church last Sunday during a service for this. I'm kinda glad I never was into Pokemon or any of that stuff.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »

Funny you say that because Ingress removed portals in Germany at actual concentration camp sites once people were caught playing there. But that was after like two years of them being there.

Oh and for the "I'm not playing this because I'm an adult!" crowd; from the article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:09:31 AM »

Oh and for the "I'm not playing this because I'm an adult!" crowd; from the article:

Yes, playing a video game in the Holocaust museum is the pinnacle of adulthood.  They're so proud of themselves (and totally not horribly embarrassed) that they made sure to provide their full names for the article... oh wait.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 01:42:37 AM »

Yeah that's pretty horrible. From one Pokemon Go fan to others out there, have some damn self control.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:34:15 AM »

Funny you say that because Ingress removed portals in Germany at actual concentration camp sites once people were caught playing there. But that was after like two years of them being there.

What's your point?  That obnoxious man-children play Pokemon Go?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »

Yes, playing a video game in the Holocaust museum is the pinnacle of adulthood.  They're so proud of themselves (and totally not horribly embarrassed) that they made sure to provide their full names for the article... oh wait.

The point is their ages.

See this is where you people are getting actually offensive. A lot of the people talking about on my Facebook feed are hard working, responsible and dedicated mothers and fathers. And often accomplished people, I noted that a pharmacist at my work plays it.

But someone who posts on a forum based around coloring maps based on election results probably shouldn't be mocking a recreational activity based around outdoor activity and socializing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »

this is so, so sad
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »

Yeah that's pretty horrible. From one Pokemon Go fan to others out there, have some damn self control.

Yeah. It even kinda bugs me when people go to cemeteries to play it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2016, 12:58:42 PM by Joe Republic »

The point is their ages.

Which I just explained is irrelevant.  Other than helping inject an evident sense of shame for what they were caught doing that much younger people probably wouldn't have had.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »

The point is their ages.

See this is where you people are getting actually offensive. A lot of the people talking about on my Facebook feed are hard working, responsible and dedicated mothers and fathers. And often accomplished people, I noted that a pharmacist at my work plays it.

But someone who posts on a forum based around coloring maps based on election results probably shouldn't be mocking a recreational activity based around outdoor activity and socializing.

"You people" are pretty d*** offensive when you play Pokemon Go at the Holocaust museum.  And strangely enough, I don't really care what you think I should or shouldn't be doing.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »

“It’s not like we came here to play,” Angie, a 37-year-old friend of Dustin’s who also declined a last name, told the newspaper. "But gotta catch ‘em all."

OMG! Misgendering is violence. Not cool!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »

Playing Pokémon Go in the Holocaust Museum necessitates a special kind of stupid.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »

I still don't get why Pokemon Go is so big. It's gotten way more popular than it should have been.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »

The point is their ages.

"You people" are pretty d*** offensive when you play Pokemon Go at the Holocaust museum.  And strangely enough, I don't really care what you think I should or shouldn't be doing.

Every person who plays Pokemon Go has played it at the Holocaust Museum?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »

Who the hell cares what they are doing.  Is it tasteless, yeah, but who cares.  If it is so damn terrible, have the makers of the game take the Pokemon out of the building.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »

Who the hell cares what they are doing.  Is it tasteless, yeah, but who cares.  If it is so damn terrible, have the makers of the game take the Pokemon out of the building.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »

The game is designed so you have to go to a gravestone in order to get certain things you need in order to play.

Why not go to a cemetery? We played in a cemetery every Thanksgiving when we were kids, next door to where we had Thanksgiving dinner.

Why not go to a Holocaust Memorial either?

As long as it's not distracting others, let it happen.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »

Code:

The game is designed so you have to go to a gravestone in order to get certain things you need in order to play.

Why not go to a cemetery? We played in a cemetery every Thanksgiving when we were kids, next door to where we had Thanksgiving dinner.

Because they're sh!tting all over the memory of the victims of one of the worst crimes in human history, that's why.  
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »

Don't mind Pokemon Go.

At least kids are getting outside and walking around.

This will end up being bigger than Twitter and YouTube, you watch.

A virtual reality within a reality. Very ingenious.

More like virtual reality within a virtual reality!

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

Code:

Because they're sh!tting all over the memory of the victims of one of the worst crimes in human history, that's why.  
How? The app is making many visit and learn about places they never would have otherwise.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 05:52:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies