Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:51:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here  (Read 2014 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »

Code:
Yeah that's pretty horrible. From one Pokemon Go fan to others out there, have some damn self control.

Yeah. It even kinda bugs me when people go to cemeteries to play it.
The game is designed so you have to go to a gravestone in order to get certain things you need in order to play.

Why not go to a cemetery? We played in a cemetery every Thanksgiving when we were kids, next door to where we had Thanksgiving dinner.

Why not go to a Holocaust Memorial either?

As long as it's not distracting others, let it happen.

Because they're sh!tting all over the memory of the victims of one of the worst crimes in human history, that's why.  
How? The app is making many visit and learn about places they never would have otherwise.

If you don't understand, then there's no point trying to explain it to you.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 07:08:40 PM »

Code:
Yeah that's pretty horrible. From one Pokemon Go fan to others out there, have some damn self control.

Yeah. It even kinda bugs me when people go to cemeteries to play it.
The game is designed so you have to go to a gravestone in order to get certain things you need in order to play.

Why not go to a cemetery? We played in a cemetery every Thanksgiving when we were kids, next door to where we had Thanksgiving dinner.

Why not go to a Holocaust Memorial either?

As long as it's not distracting others, let it happen.

Because they're sh!tting all over the memory of the victims of one of the worst crimes in human history, that's why.  
How? The app is making many visit and learn about places they never would have otherwise.

If you go to the Holocaust museum to play a video game, you shouldn't be there in the first place.  Play somewhere else.  When did showing respect for Holocaust victims become a novel idea?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 07:21:26 PM »

Frankly, with a few exceptions, most posts from both sides of the argument in this thread are just plain bad.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »

First of all, removing the pokestops of the Holocaust Museum is absurd since you can access those from the street and don't need to enter the location. There's nothing wrong with playing it on the sidewalk in front of it.

Second of all playing it inside or in a cemetery is really no different than playing Angry Birds or Candy Crush in such a spot. Hell it's not really much different from reading or sending text messages. I remember pointing out to people that playing Ingress in a cemetery to someone unfamiliar with the game will just look like someone wandering around the cemetery and texting. So if you think the museum should be a complete no phone use zone like a movie theater that's one thing, but it's arbitrary to say that only augmented reality games are OK.

I mean yeah people shouldn't be yelling "I CAUGHT A CLEFAIRY!" out loud or anything, but it is possible to play the game silently and respectfully. If people are doing that, what's the problem?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 03:13:58 AM »

People are actually defending this? Wow.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 05:55:08 AM »

First of all, removing the pokestops of the Holocaust Museum is absurd since you can access those from the street and don't need to enter the location. There's nothing wrong with playing it on the sidewalk in front of it.

Second of all playing it inside or in a cemetery is really no different than playing Angry Birds or Candy Crush in such a spot. Hell it's not really much different from reading or sending text messages. I remember pointing out to people that playing Ingress in a cemetery to someone unfamiliar with the game will just look like someone wandering around the cemetery and texting. So if you think the museum should be a complete no phone use zone like a movie theater that's one thing, but it's arbitrary to say that only augmented reality games are OK.

I mean yeah people shouldn't be yelling "I CAUGHT A CLEFAIRY!" out loud or anything, but it is possible to play the game silently and respectfully. If people are doing that, what's the problem?

No, there really isn't any remotely respectful way to play Pokemon Go/Ingress/Angry Birds/etc at the Holocaust museum.
Panda Express

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 06:17:21 AM »

Maybe Pokemon Go is the answer to childhood obesity? Make them walk all over the place.

BTW, could you use this app in say, the Kaaba in Mecca?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 06:30:28 AM »

BTW, could you use this app in say, the Kaaba in Mecca?

At your risks and perils, presumably.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 02:09:58 PM »

I feel like someone could figure out who they are even without their last names. I mean, if I knew a 30-year-old named Dustin and a 37-year-old named Angie from North Carolina who were currently traveling in Europe, there's only so many people that could be.

That said, this is terrible. The makers of the game should have removed sites like that.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »

The makers of the game should have removed sites like that.
The developer of Pokemon Go is Niantic Inc which has between 11-50 employees.  You really think they have time to go and look for every single place you might find offensive on the planet and remove it?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »

The developer of Pokemon Go is Niantic Inc which has between 11-50 employees.  You really think they have time to go and look for every single place you might find offensive on the planet and remove it?

I don't know honestly.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 03:03:12 PM »

I don't know honestly.

Then you should get up to speed.  These silicon valley startups aren't old school companies with tens of thousands of employees.  Whatsapp is a $20+ billion company and last time I checked it had 19 employees.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 03:40:28 PM »

Is this a joke?  The game is designed for kids to dick around in a cemetery?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 04:06:05 PM »

It isn't, FWIW. Although I do enjoy watching you getting constantly triggered by this game.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »

It isn't, FWIW. Although I do enjoy watching you getting constantly triggered by this game.

And I enjoyed watching you play your tired "both sides of this argument are terrible!!!" moderate hero card in this thread yet again.  That's not how you get people to like you.

I don't know how the hell else I was supposed to have read Blue3's post, but thanks for the correction anyway.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »

You only need to be within 40 meters of a object designated as a pokestop to interact with it. And just plain old cemetery headstones wouldn't qualify, it'd be things like larger monuments or statues within the cemetery that you'd likely see people looking at or checking out anyway.

What people need to realize is the entire point of Ingress was to get people to check out things like that. The Holocaust Museum is most certainly a relevant point of interest and one I'd encourage people to check out. Beautiful statues and monuments in cemeteries are other examples. And as noted, you're not really doing anything more disruptive than texting. Now perhaps even simply texting inside the Holocaust Museum is kind of tacky but you don't need to go inside to play either game. I think the idea was lure people there, play on the outside, and then they might get the idea to check out the actual museum later. (I've done this for some museums before.) Removing it would be indicating that the Holocaust museum is not an important point of interest.

(and seriously kids have been playing games in cemeteries for centuries. Who didn't play something like hide and go seek in one as a kid?)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »

You only need to be within 40 meters of a object designated as a pokestop to interact with it. And just plain old cemetery headstones wouldn't qualify, it'd be things like larger monuments or statues within the cemetery that you'd likely see people looking at or checking out anyway.

What people need to realize is the entire point of Ingress was to get people to check out things like that. The Holocaust Museum is most certainly a relevant point of interest and one I'd encourage people to check out. Beautiful statues and monuments in cemeteries are other examples. And as noted, you're not really doing anything more disruptive than texting. Now perhaps even simply texting inside the Holocaust Museum is kind of tacky but you don't need to go inside to play either game. I think the idea was lure people there, play on the outside, and then they might get the idea to check out the actual museum later. (I've done this for some museums before.) Removing it would be indicating that the Holocaust museum is not an important point of interest.

(and seriously kids have been playing games in cemeteries for centuries. Who didn't play something like hide and go seek in one as a kid?)
Eh, each and every memorial tree (about 200) in our city park is a poke-stop (or whatever it's called). As well as every gravestone in our local cemetery that has a statue.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 12:43:44 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

What a bunch of prudes!  Who cares if some topless hipster is merely playing on their phone on top of Grandma Muriel?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 12:47:37 AM »

What a bunch of prudes!  Who cares if some topless hipster is merely playing on their phone on top of Grandma Muriel?

WTF? Why would even not be wearing a shirt while doing that, lol.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 01:06:09 AM »

WTF? Why would even not be wearing a shirt while doing that, lol.

Darn it! I thought I got how to play this game. It turns out I've been doing it all wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies