Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2017, 07:13:43 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  1007 - Failed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1007 - Failed  (Read 367 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:09:10 pm »
Ignore

The Jobs Creation Act of 2016:

1. The Government shall fund a jobs creation website for each Atlasian region. These websites will cost one million for each one, cause the hiring of 5,000 workers to conduct support. These websites will be named after the region, then end with .jobs.gov. (i.e Fremont.jobs.gov).

2. These websites shall contain local job listings, and a filter to determine how far away the job is, the job will be able to be opened, the contents of the opening will include salary, location, requirements, etc.

3. The government will put five million into advertising in each region to encourage both business owners and job-seekers to use their local website.

4. The websites would be launched on September 1st, 2016.

Sponsor: Rep. Haslam2020 (F-TN)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:54:51 pm by Speaker Kent »Logged

House Majority Leader Haslam2020
Haslam2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
Ignore

Any debate?

Governor Leinad
Leinad
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.23, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:36:45 pm »
Ignore

Seems like a good idea (I'm a tad dubious about spending money in general, but compared to other programs this isn't that large, and the increase in income and sales tax revenue would pay off this price tag with only a few thousand new jobs--obviously much less if we make it cheaper).

Regarding the cost: would it really cost $1 million for each website? And would it really need 1/6th of the population of the city I live in to operate? Perhaps the total budget could be connected to how much estimated increase in income tax revenue we'd get from the new jobs? Also, I'd much rather have the regions decide how much to put into advertising this--seriously, someone please amend it to do so.

Now, if it turns out this idea wouldn't actually work in practice for whatever reason, obviously it wouldn't be good. But, I presume we can trust the House to work out the kinks and get to the bottom of whether something is a good idea or not, right? Anyway, it seems like a relatively affordable way to use technology to help get the economy moving.

Governor Leinad
Leinad
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.23, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 11:24:05 pm »
Ignore

On second thought, we already have websites that do that, correct?

This seems redundant, unless it could be repurposed for a similar idea.

(shame on me for not realizing that until now Tongue)

Blair
Blair2015
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 03:51:55 am »
Ignore

For what it's worth this bill will hopefully get heavily amendmended in the Senate

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 09:07:30 am »
Ignore

yeah, i agree with the president. this is one of those rare cases where the private sector is already dong something perfectly well, and the government doesn't need to intervene.

Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:21:54 am »
Ignore

I don't see why we should waste all of this money to set up websites. I can't support this bill.

"Benjamin Franklin reminded his colleagues at the Constitutional Convention, to begin by bowing their head in prayer. I remind you, were going to start saying Merry Christmas again. Donald John Trump
NSDAP-Member NeverAgain
NeverAgain
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:27:07 pm »
Ignore

I don't see why we should waste all of this money to set up websites. I can't support this bill.

I agree with Classic. If this was for setting up specific gov't jobs then that would be different. But this seems that it is just the gov't giving a forum for all businesses to post their opportunities on, which on principle I do not necessarily disagree with, but I think would be better left to those businesses to advertise their opportunities themselves.

I would be fine if this was amended to seek gov't jobs only. I don't know about everyone else though.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 07:12:34 am »
Ignore

Three million dollars for websites? 5,000 support staff? 5 million dollars in advertising? Ridiculous.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 09:18:19 pm »
Ignore

Seeing as how it appears that everything that could be said has already been said, we will now move to a 72-hour final vote.

Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 09:22:51 pm »
Ignore

Nay

"Benjamin Franklin reminded his colleagues at the Constitutional Convention, to begin by bowing their head in prayer. I remind you, were going to start saying Merry Christmas again. Donald John Trump
NSDAP-Member NeverAgain
NeverAgain
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 11:46:30 pm »
Ignore

Nay
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 08:46:42 am »
Ignore

NAY

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 10:04:43 am »
Ignore

nay

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 07:07:13 am »
Ignore

Nay
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 10:45:11 pm »
Ignore

This bill has failed in the House with five votes against, none for, and Representatives Darthebearnc and Haslam2020 not voting.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:04:40 pm by Speaker Kent »Logged

Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 10:48:17 pm »
Ignore

Point of order, Mr. Speaker. Justice Yankee, is no longer a member of this body as he resigned late last week.

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »
Ignore

Point of order, Mr. Speaker. Justice Yankee, is no longer a member of this body as he resigned late last week.
Thank you. I will correct this.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout