Are DC, Maryland, and Delaware in the Northeast or the South?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:45:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Are DC, Maryland, and Delaware in the Northeast or the South?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are DC, Maryland, and Delaware in the Northeast or the South?
Northeast

South

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Are DC, Maryland, and Delaware in the Northeast or the South?  (Read 3702 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »

As a DC area native, I will fight to the death anybody who has the gall to insinuate Maryland and DC are somehow more Southern than Northern.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »

DC, Maryland and Delaware might have been Southern historically (after all, DC was picked as a place to establish a capital city, which was specifically designated to be in the South), but it's a very distant past now.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 02:25:02 PM »

Mid Atlantic
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »

As a DC area native, I will fight to the death anybody who has the gall to insinuate Maryland and DC are somehow more Southern than Northern.

Agreed, but it's pretty crazy how Southern (Upper South variety) it gets when you go west of Fredrick or to the Eastern Shore.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »

Agreed, but it's pretty crazy how Southern (Upper South variety) it gets when you go west of Fredrick or to the Eastern Shore.

The MD panhandle is more northern/mid Appalachian than Upper South. The Appalachian Regional Commission puts it in a subregion with western PA, and not with the more southern parts of the region.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »

Yeah, they have legit Southern accents here on Delmarva, the people who's family have been here for generations that is, not the recently arrived retirees like my parents or the tourists. It can also get pretty southern on the southern part of the Western Shore, although with the continued potential for suburban growth particularly in Anne Arundel, Charles, Frederick, and Howard, I wouldn't be surprised if the Southern culture becomes completely confined to the Eastern Shore of Maryland in the next few decades. The panhandle will continue to be Appalachian until the day Maryland ceases to exist as a state though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »

Northeast. The best reason I can see for calling them Southern is that they were slave states up until the Civil War, which is pretty weak. They are not really what one could call culturally Southern today.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 01:44:03 AM »

WW2 was the turning point for DC, NoVa and southwestern Maryland. Massive federal investments made it a northeastern city by culture, whereas before an argument could have been made for south. Baltimore was always northeast. I can't speak to Delaware but it seems like the Wilmington area dominates the state and is just an extension of the Philly region.
dax00

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:22 AM »

Delaware and Maryland are mid-Atlantic. DC is South.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:38 PM »

Delaware and Maryland are mid-Atlantic. DC is South.

How does one jump to this conclusion???
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »

All three are mostly Southern. Just because an area is liberal and votes for Democrats doesn't make it the Northeast.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »

The Great NorthEast MegaOpolis continues to march further and further South.  First from Philly to Baltimore then to DC on to Richmond, the Research Triangle and Charlotte, across SC to Atlanta.  Unlike Sherman's march, they haven't come to burn, but to conquer.  As the MegaOpolis has split the South asunder, the true Southerner, being of weak mind and constitution has been forced to retreat, further and further into the mountains and swamps, awaiting their eventual extinction, much as the Neanderthals did as the Homo-Sapiens arrived.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »

Northeast. While there are aberrations, the bulk of the state is culturally and politically like the northeast. As I've said before, I see nothing wrong with changing census boundaries every few decades.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:34 PM »

Officially they are in the South, but that's only because of the grandfather clause. They are not southern.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 07:48:09 AM »

They are below the Mason-Dixon line. They will always be Southern states.

Why does everyone think they're Northeastern, because they've been safe Dem since 1992? Because they're part of the I-95 corridor? None of those things matter, all that matters is whether slavery was legal there in 1860. Otherwise we'd be changing regional definitions every 5 years. The Mason-Dixon line is like the San Andreas Fault of the East.

Delaware is "above" the M-D line according to Wikipedia. I always used to think it was technically southern myself, but this made me reconsider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason%E2%80%93Dixon_line
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »

Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Delaware are southern in a geographical sense, a historical sense, and in terms of landscape, but they are culturally northeastern. Maryland almost joined the Confederacy, but they didn't because Abraham Lincoln had a battalion ready to assault Baltimore if it happened.

On another note, why is Missouri not considered a southern state?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »

Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Delaware are southern in a geographical sense, a historical sense, and in terms of landscape, but they are culturally northeastern. Maryland almost joined the Confederacy, but they didn't because Abraham Lincoln had a battalion ready to assault Baltimore if it happened.

On another note, why is Missouri not considered a southern state?

MO meets the same description you just described. The latitude of KC and St Louis is the same as DC. Historically MO was a slave state and had a Governor who wanted to secede. The landscape in southern MO is akin to other mid-South states.

However, the majority of the population in MO are in its two major metro areas. Those areas are culturally Midwestern as is the rural area in the north of the state near IA.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 10:06:01 PM »

Neither; they should be called part of the Mid-Atlantic along with Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies