So is Hillary going to work on the honesty/corruption problem at all?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  So is Hillary going to work on the honesty/corruption problem at all?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: So is Hillary going to work on the honesty/corruption problem at all?  (Read 1144 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »

People are misunderstanding the problem. So it's clear that a majority of people think Hillary is untrustworthy. But let's break that group up. A good portion of them are unpersuadable: partisan Republicans who answer negative to any democrat they are polled on and those people who have independently researched and come to the conclusion that Hillary is corrupt,. They aren't important tbh. However there is a large group of people who are less interested in politics, and don't know the ins and outs of every scandal (because they are normal human beings). With the current news cycle these people's understandings of the various scandals is that Hillary did something dodgy (after all, no smoke without fire?). Seeing as this is a majority of voters, this must include people who voted Obama so they obviously aren't just partisan anti-Democrats. These people are the ones that must be persuaded for a positive win (i.e. If the campaign is just a scorched earth attack on Trump, Hillary would probably win but her presidency will start off unpopular and she won't get any coattails).

Spot on.

As for the scandals themselves, have one bombastic press conference to apologise and put the issue to rest. Then leave it to proxies to rubbish all claims and make even the more grounded of them seem like Vince Foster tier.

I'm not sure this would accomplish anything other than to keep the issue fresh in the public mind.  Ignore it, stay above it, stay on message, and pray it goes away on its own.  Proxies and surrogates do help, however, as long as they aren't too obvious. 

Dwelling on this too much makes the Clinton campaign sound like Trump denying that he has very small hands.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »

That's why i said block it in one go. Remember Hillary never looked better when in the Benghazi committee itself, rather than when she was putting the issue on the backburner.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 01:09:46 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 11:01:43 PM »

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »

OK, let's say that Hillary is crooked.

BUT....you can't stop there because she is not a one-dimensional human being.

What she ALSO is, is very intelligent, strong, a mother and a grandmother who does understand compassion, experienced in politics for many many years (compared with Trump who knows nothing about it), a people-person, willing to listen to the other side, she knows that making friends and establishing good working relationships with all members of Congress is the way to get things accomplished, she is married to an ex President who also brings great insight and expertise to the job Hillary will be performing as President, she takes all the B.S. people throw at her and still pushes forward with her life which to me, is a great skill that a President needs to have. Plus, she has helped to shatter the political ceiling which is a testament to her ability and perseverance.

I could go on and on, my point being that she is a highly complex being on many levels and in many dimensions. Most people don't understand her and that's where there is a disconnect that she needs to continue working on.

People expect Hillary to be perfect and when they find out she's not, they throw the book at her.

It doesn't matter what people say because Hillary will keep on keeping on, long after the detractors have lost interest in bashing her.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 12:37:24 AM »

When the opposition is even worse, what's the point?

Billy C. never worked on it, and he sailed through just fine.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »

Yes, she does need to address this somehow.

Sadly, the expectation -- with no evidence at all -- that was kicked up that Clinton "might" be indicted (which I contributed to mightily myself) ended up making the verdict, when it came out, look illegitimate, for failing to satisfy an illegitimate expectation. In my foolish pessimism I ended up contributing to the swiftboating of my own candidate. That said, what would be most mitigating for Clinton on this issue is some contrition, or at least a display of contrition, for what she did indeed was indisputedly wrong.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 01:47:41 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwhUREqekFk
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies