NBC/WSJ/Marist Senate polls IA/ PA/ OH McGinty Leading, Ohio Tied, Grassley +10 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 Senatorial Election Polls
  NBC/WSJ/Marist Senate polls IA/ PA/ OH McGinty Leading, Ohio Tied, Grassley +10 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NBC/WSJ/Marist Senate polls IA/ PA/ OH McGinty Leading, Ohio Tied, Grassley +10  (Read 1499 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: July 13, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »

What's junk about Toomey running +6 of Trump? You think it's more than that? Unlikely.

I don't believe Clinton +8 will be the case on election day.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »

Contrary to Atlas belief, PA is not going to flip outside of a wave. OH, IN, FL, NC and AZ are all more likely to flip than PA.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »

That's unpleasant

What's junk about Toomey running +6 of Trump? You think it's more than that? Unlikely.

I don't believe Clinton +8 will be the case on election day.

Why not?

Obama won the state by 5. Trump is a better fit than Romney for the state - Romney's '12 performance is probably a "base" performance for Trump - with a good campaign, it could look like Bush '04. However he probably doesn't win it unless he's winning the election - I just don't see Florida and Pennsylvania voting for different candidates.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:59 PM »

For 2012, Manchin won by so much that I don't think he was beatable with any opponent, especially with Tomblin winning too. 2010 is more of an open question, which is why I don't see him as Safe in 2018. But he's more of a Hagan than a Begich or Landrieu on terms of vulnerability. I don't think it's wise to call Manchin dead based on Tennant/Rahall as they are different candidates, and Republicans have a pretty thin bench unless McKinley or Morissey is willing to run.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:42:51 AM »

I don't get this "If Hillary is winning PA by more than 3, Toomey is toast" talk. If that was true, Joe Manchin, Heidi Heitkamp, Joe Donnelly, Jon Tester and Claire McCaskill all wouldn't be Senators today. The only reason Clinton is dominating the presidential race is because Trump is an absolute garbage candidate who is undeperforming a generic R by several points. No voter is going to change their mind on who to vote for in the Senate race based on that. Bold prediction: If McGinty is winning, Democrats will have already won IL, WI, OH, IN, MO, NC, FL, NV, CO and NH.

The Senate race has nothing to do with the presidential race.

Grassley will be re-elected, but possibly within single digits and almost certainly in the closest race of his career. There's too much ticket splitters with misguided loyalty to him to dislodge the old fart. I think even in a mega landslide he'd only get Warner'd.

That's the problem in almost every state, though. Swing voters vote for a Senate candidate based on his personality/looks, not ideology. That's why we have so many fake moderates in Congress. Sad.

Agreed wholeheartdly!

IMO like others have said the Dem's are far more likely to win say IN, FL, NH or even OH, then PA(assuming they win IL and WI).

McGinty is also a low profile 3rd-tier candidate who is only the nominee because the Democrats didn't have many better options. Kathleen Kane was burned in terms of having any politcal future, Joe Sestak is a volatile has been, and John Fetterman was way too far left to win statewide. And someone like Patrick Murphy didn't take the plunge. 

Also PA has a strong history of ticket splitting even under difficult circumstances. EX. Specter eeked out a win in 1992 despite Clinton carrying the state by nearly 8 points. Likewise Santorum won comfortably in 2000 despite Gore Carring PA by  the State by 4.

Specter also won reelection handily in 2004 despite Kerry narrowing winning.

The last incumbent Senator to lose in PA was in 1968 and that was a Democrat who ironically lost despite his party's standard bearer Hubert Humphrey carrying Pennsylvania that year.

Actually the last incumbent senator to lose in PA was Specter in 2010, who lost the D primary to Sestak. If you meant "last incumbent who lost in the GE", the answer is Santorum in 2006. Even if you meant "last losing democrat incumbent in the GE", that would be Harris Wofford in 1994. To get back to 1968, you'd have to use the criteria of "last losing non-appointed democrat incumbent in the GE".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies