Will One Nation Conservatism arrive in America anytime soon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:36:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will One Nation Conservatism arrive in America anytime soon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will One Nation Conservatism arrive in America anytime soon?  (Read 2147 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:25:22 PM »

I notice strong similarities between One Nation Conservatism and the Republican Party (and Whigs before them) before the 1920's, were they believe that there needed to be many regulations in place in benefit of both the markets and the consumers. However, the "New Right" has been dominant among conservatives in the last 30 years, perhaps the rise of nationalism will reverse course? Especially if Trump becomes president, I could see him being more fiscally moderate.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

No. If Trump wins, he will concede the presidency to Clinton. If he loses, then Trumpism and nationalism (which you seem to think is the pathway to One Nation Conservatism) may continue to be a driving force in the Republican Party (and a lot less in national politics) for a while, but I think it will die out in about 10-15 years. It will only impact this and the next three presidential elections at the most. One Nation Conservatism will not come to America. The Republican Party of the future may become more socially moderate, but it will keep its economic policies.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »

The Republican Party of the future may become more socially moderate, but it will keep its economic policies.

Which is appealing to the donors but the opposite of the way to do better with groups like Hispanic Pentecostals or not-quite-assimilated Asians.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »

The Republican Party of the future may become more socially moderate, but it will keep its economic policies.

Which is appealing to the donors but the opposite of the way to do better with groups like Hispanic Pentecostals or not-quite-assimilated Asians.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »

Which is one part of the big political infighting plauging the GOP over the past 8 years.

I boil it down to essentially two arguements.

One which is often pushed by the establishment, business community, and the younger wing of the party adovcates that the GOP move in a more socially libeal but more economically conservative direction.

Ex. Become accepting on social issues like gay marriage, drug use, and immigration but remain very free-market oriented on issues like taxes, trade, regulation, the budget, push entitlement reform etc.

While I see the Tea-Party, SoCon, Trump wing(to an extent) wanting something more in the other direction. Ex. remain opposed to things like immigration reform and overall socially conservative. However, become more moderate or populist on issues like free trade, support more restrictions on Wall Street, protect entitlements as they are, and become more open to higher taxes on the wealthy and big corporations.

That's what I feel like it essentially boils down to in many ways within the American conservative movement.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 11:07:39 AM »

Isn''t compassionate conservatism the American version of one-nation conservatism?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »

Isn''t compassionate conservatism the American version of one-nation conservatism?

It would be if it had ever existed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 05:10:43 PM »

Sadly, this nation will be bereft of such unless I can be bribed enough to re-enter the political arena.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »

It has. See: Donald Trump.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »

It existed for approximately 9 months and ended on Sept 11.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 03:21:16 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2016, 03:31:19 AM by I did not see L.A. »

You mean the 9 months during which Bush forced down America's throat massive tax cuts for the super-rich?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2016, 09:39:08 PM by Ronnie »

We already have a one-nation conservative party in the United States: it's called the Democratic Party.  Really, only the Bernie wing of the party wouldn't be virtually interchangeable with, say, much of the Torie Party in the UK.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 11:55:44 PM »

We already have a one-nation conservative party in the United States: it's called the Democratic Party.  Really, only the Bernie wing of the party wouldn't be virtually interchangeable with, say, much of the Torie Party in the UK.
Oh God leave this nonsense #analysis off Atlas.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 12:42:34 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2016, 01:40:57 AM by Ronnie »

What's so nonsensical about what I said?  It was, of course, a little provocative, but I don't think that most Democrats' approach to policy, at least during Obama's administration, has been radically progressive.  Take Obamacare, one of the president's crowning achievements: it significantly expanded coverage, but it did nothing to diminish the role of insurance companies in health care.  I see it as a moderate and incremental reform that wouldn't have been out of place in a "one-nation conservative" government.  In fact, don't forget that Romney signed into law a very similar piece of legislation when he was governor of Massachusetts.

To say that Democrats are Republican-lite would be misleading, but that's only because Pubs have drifted intensely far-right.  Dems are mostly centrists on the broader political spectrum, with only the Sanders wing qualifying as "center-left."
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 04:31:15 AM »

What's so nonsensical about what I said?  It was, of course, a little provocative, but I don't think that most Democrats' approach to policy, at least during Obama's administration, has been radically progressive.  Take Obamacare, one of the president's crowning achievements: it significantly expanded coverage, but it did nothing to diminish the role of insurance companies in health care.  I see it as a moderate and incremental reform that wouldn't have been out of place in a "one-nation conservative" government.  In fact, don't forget that Romney signed into law a very similar piece of legislation when he was governor of Massachusetts.

To say that Democrats are Republican-lite would be misleading, but that's only because Pubs have drifted intensely far-right.  Dems are mostly centrists on the broader political spectrum, with only the Sanders wing qualifying as "center-left."

The Democratic party quite obviously does not seek to create a society based around a natural hierarchy of the classes in which power is concentrated among a benevolent landed elite.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 04:55:47 AM »

We already have a one-nation conservative party in the United States: it's called the Democratic Party.  Really, only the Bernie wing of the party wouldn't be virtually interchangeable with, say, much of the Torie Party in the UK.

As a Brit: ayy lmao
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »

The Democratic party quite obviously does not seek to create a society based around a natural hierarchy of the classes in which power is concentrated among a benevolent landed elite.

I frankly did not realize that paternalism was a central facet of one-nation Toryism.  That's...odd.

Regardless, I still don't think it's a stretch to say that, aside from the progressive wing, the Democratic Party is pretty pragmatic on most issues.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »

I frankly did not realize that paternalism was a central facet of one-nation Toryism.  That's...odd.

Regardless, I still don't think it's a stretch to say that, aside from the progressive wing, the Democratic Party is pretty pragmatic on most issues.

Sure, but they are pragmatic with goals that are ultimately at least somewhat left wing. Not exactly the same thing as a right wing party in Europe.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »

Sure, but they are pragmatic with goals that are ultimately at least somewhat left wing. Not exactly the same thing as a right wing party in Europe.

Which tend to be pragmatic with goals towards the right.
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 12:15:17 PM »

You mean the 9 months during which Bush forced down America's throat massive tax cuts for the super-rich?
Um everybody cut a tax cut not just the super-rich.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies