A map I think everybody should look at
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:57:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  A map I think everybody should look at
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A map I think everybody should look at  (Read 688 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »

Via WSJ

This election we're very likely to see an even greater polarization of college educated and non college educated voters. As is the case in many polls, Clinton is apparently leading with college educated whites, a 56-42 Romney group. So if we look at the counties with very high bachelor's degrees, we should see the areas that will swing most Democratic this election. Obviously there are some exceptions, I don't think New Jersey/New York will be much worse for Trump than a typical Republican, given many Republicans and Independents in that region are a better fit for Trump already. And non-college areas of Utah and Idaho may swing Democratic anyway due to Mormon backlash.

This may explain why we've seen Trump doing so poorly in Colorado in the polls.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »

Thanks for posting this, it's definitely interesting. I think it shows that Trump can't win simply by doing very well among white voters without a college degree. If you look at states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, there are plenty of counties where over 40% of residents only have a high school degree, but those were counties which Romney won in 2012. The Obama counties, particularly the Philly suburbs, have more educated voters, and it'll be hard for Trump to win without swaying at least some of those voters.
Human
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:07:23 PM »

Thanks for posting this, ElectionsGuy.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:58 PM »

Something's off about the Urban/rural county split.  They claim that all counties with greater than 50,000 population are 'urban', but they mark a county in my area that has less than 10,000 people as urban.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2016, 10:06:02 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griffin »

I wonder if this map is labelled properly? The "high school graduate only" category based on my county's stats seems to match the "did not graduate high school" category instead. You have counties where only 10-20% of the population has a Bachelor's degree; if 30% are HS graduates only, then it implies that 50-60% of people in a lot of counties don't have a HS degree.

My County:
29.4% HS grads only
14.0% Bachelor's and above

That's 43.4%. The no HS degree category in my county according to the Census is around 30%, not 57%. I'm confused. :/

EDIT: maybe WSJ's numbers include minors?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »

I wonder if this map is labelled properly? The "high school graduate only" category based on my county's stats seems to match the "did not graduate high school" category instead. You have counties where only 10-20% of the population has a Bachelor's degree; if 30% are HS graduates only, then it implies that 50-60% of people in a lot of counties don't have a HS degree.

My County:
29.4% HS grads only
14.0% Bachelor's and above

That's 43.4%. The no HS degree category in my county according to the Census is around 30%, not 57%. I'm confused. :/

EDIT: maybe WSJ's numbers include minors?

The numbers are for 25 and older, but I think the issue is its not counting college dropouts and people with only 2 years (associates), which are a very sizable number of people in nearly every county. So a lot of that 57% in Whitfield County, GA I would think to be 2 year degrees, technical degrees, and dropouts.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:22:18 AM »

I would take a close look at western Texas. Very Hispanic areas that are still solidly Republican. But watch Hillary's performance there; if Trump's getting trounced among Latinx voters like as expected, you could see his margins in west Texas drop from victories in the 60-70%s to 50%s to some loses. Bleeds into southeast New Mexico as well.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 06:22:43 AM »

Something's off about the Urban/rural county split.  They claim that all counties with greater than 50,000 population are 'urban', but they mark a county in my area that has less than 10,000 people as urban.

I hate that the divide has always been Urban/Rural, where suburban counties are considered urban when they are far from urban.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies