Places in the US that feel like other countries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Places in the US that feel like other countries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Places in the US that feel like other countries  (Read 470 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »

There are times travelling in the US that it definitely feels like I've crossed into another country, and certainly more different than Seattle and Vancouver, despite those cities being across a border from one-another. Although I'm guessing these places are different person-to-person given our different backgrounds. For me the places I've felt this most distinctly are:

Neah Bay, WA - a predominantly Native American town, which has existed for about 3,800 years. Plus, the Makah tribe that most of the locals belong to is somewhat distinct from the surrounding groups both linguistically and culturally.

Rural Utah - We stopped at a truck stop once, and I swear people were able to pick me out as not being from the area just by how I carried myself and my accent. I didn't even know there was a Utah accent until I was there, but it was pretty clear. Not to mention the omnipresence of religion in Utah that you don't see in a whole lot of other places.

Hawaii - given the history of the state, it's pretty clear why it feels different. I wasn't in Honolulu either, which I imagine is a bit more cosmopolitan and Americanized than Kauai.

Taos Pueblo, NM - Pretty much the same story as Neah Bay but with the added effect of the adobe-style architecture and the very clear Spanish/Mexican influences. 

Is there anywhere you've been in the US that feels like a different country?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:49:53 PM »

Holland MI, but that's on purpose.  New Orleans is weird and certainly unique in it's....culture in the US.  I'm guessing the Canadian border in New England can be strange, by both normal Americans and Canadians standards, but I've never been.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »

Toppenish, WA comes to mind. It's on a reservation, and while it's full of history and culture, it's also very poor, and almost seems like a third-world country.

Parts of the Navajo reservation also fit that description.

I might also add rural Alaska, simply because it feels like a completely different world.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 01:34:19 AM »

I'm going to just use Californian examples, given how diverse the state is ecologically, economically, and culturally, this was bound to happen.

1. The little village of Sausalito, CA despite being so close to San Francisco carries itself more like some snooty, tourist Northern Italian town on a lake in the alps than anything else.

2. Wine Country is also it's own little world that is almost uncannily like the eastern end of Tuscany, northwest bit of Umbria...same thing goes for Gilroy, even though that's garlic land.

3. Most Reservation areas in the state (for obvious reasons)

4. The Channel Islands, such as Santa Catalina have a surprisingly different sort of ecosystem from the mainland, the tiny town of Avalon is absurdly hard to describe.

5. Mount Whitney

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »

You decide which is which.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »

Cheesy
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »

LOL, Illinois is consistently cited as the most statistically "normal" state.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 01:34:13 AM »

I never feel more American then when I'm in NYC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies