Will Pence help or hurt the ticket?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:20:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Pence help or hurt the ticket?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Will Pence help or hurt the ticket as Trump's VP?
Help

Hurt

No change

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 121

Author Topic: Will Pence help or hurt the ticket?  (Read 2094 times)
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »

No effect. He really should change to Flynn. Gosh Condi would've been amazing, if only she accepted.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 09:11:39 PM »

Help unite the conservative base, hurt with moderate swing voters (most of these were Clinton supporters anyways. Net no effect.

Some moderate swing voters may be on the fence because some of them don't trust Clinton.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 09:17:49 PM »

He's controversial.  That doesn't "settle" anyone's stomach.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »

I would say he's a wash over all. Ancedotally, I know two voters who were leaning Trump who are now not due to Pence's social conservatism.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:01 PM »

Hurt. Even with all his disgusting warts, TrumpMiller really did have a shot at breaking the mold built by the last few decades of presidential politics and drawing new lines on the battlefield. By choosing Pence (assuming he actually has), the cheeto-colored waste of DNA has given Clinton a strong handle to drag the election back into conventional lines: socially liberal, intelligent Democrat vs. ignorant bigot Republican.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 09:50:53 PM »

Marginally help (as much as VP picks do). It placates the conservative Cruz-wing of the party and will talk some off of the ledge of going #nevertrump.

In reality though, VP picks matter very little.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:41 PM »

No change. Similar to Obama/Biden in 2008. They complement each other.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 09:59:06 PM »

Pretty much no effect. Anyone that's voting for Trump/Pence will be voting for them because of Trump, I can't imagine Pence having a big role in the next four months, should be pretty low-key.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 10:00:06 PM »

No change. I guess he might help among the hardcore social conservative voters who were for Cruz before the primary process even started, but I have to imagine all the persuadables have gone to Trump already. Might actually marginally hurt in Indiana, but I doubt Trump's losing there outside of a total collapse scenario anyway.

Donald Trump is such a unique figure, and people are so set and decided in their opinions of him, that it's hard to imagine any VP choice really meaningfully helping or hurting.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 10:02:34 PM »

No change. I guess he might help among the hardcore social conservative voters who were for Cruz before the primary process even started, but I have to imagine all the persuadables have gone to Trump already. Might actually marginally hurt in Indiana, but I doubt Trump's losing there outside of a total collapse scenario anyway.

Donald Trump is such a unique figure, and people are so set and decided in their opinions of him, that it's hard to imagine any VP choice really meaningfully helping or hurting.

What about the near 20% undecideds regularly showing in polls?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 12:36:15 AM »

What about the near 20% undecideds regularly showing in polls?

Most of these are people who have strongly unfavorable opinions of Trump and Hillary. I don't think Pence will help Trump with this group too much; he's not enough of a unique, narrative-changing figure. I see a large number of these people ultimately not voting, another large fraction voting third-party, and then whichever of Hillary or Donald gets a larger number only gains a margin of 1-2%. There will not be a mad rush towards one of the candidates unless the favorables of one of the candidates improve, and that doesn't happen in a negative campaign (which Hillary and Donald both seem intent on waging). So I think in the end that'll be much less relevant than you think.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 01:35:45 AM »

No change overall, aside from perhaps a bump due to all the media hype (though that would've been present with any choice, not exclusive to Pence.) He may actually hurt a bit in Indiana, lol.

I seen bunch of comments from people in Indiana on Facebook saying

"Yes! Now we finally got rid of Pence!"

Pence won 5 consecutive congressional campaigns in Indiana (all landslides) and then won the Gubernatorial in 2012

Clearly Indiana hates Mike Pence
One congressional district=accurate representation of entire state

Yes, as we all know, Michele Bachmann and Terri Sewell are perfect representations of their state.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:22 AM »

No change, may bring in a few evangelicals while disaffected independents could abandon their support for Trump. But no large effect, this race is about Clinton and Trump.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »

To me these two look like the General Manager and a salesman from a used car lot. LOL!

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 10:59:01 AM »

He helps seal the wound with the Cruz-type conservatives IMO.

He is a much better pick than Christie or Gingrich.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 11:13:28 AM »

Pence isn't that Homophobic. in fact he's more of an inactive homophobe like Christie or Pope Francis, not an active homophobe like Huckabee.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »

Pence isn't that Homophobic. in fact he's more of an inactive homophobe like Christie or Pope Francis, not an active homophobe like Huckabee.

Given that he signed that ridiculous bill, I'd say he's definitely active homophobe, just in a different style from someone like Huckabee.
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2016, 12:27:34 PM by egalitt »

No effect. He really should change to Flynn. Gosh Condi would've been amazing, if only she accepted.

Flynn should have been a better choice. This mistake will negatively affect the whole campaign.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »

Given that he signed that ridiculous bill, I'd say he's definitely active homophobe, just in a different style from someone like Huckabee.

He also supported moving AIDS funding to gay conversion therapy.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »

Did he really ?
That would be bad for him (and trump) .... really bad !
Can you post a link regarding this.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »

Well... the roll-out clearly didn't help.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »

Pence is going to hurt the ticket massively if reports about Trump not wanting him are accurate because you have a ticket not on the same page.

Additionally the botched roll-out allowed the Hillary campaign to immediately dump oppo on Pence and define him without him getting a chance to pre-but it during the official VP announcement
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »

Hurt because Trump screwed up the roll out by saying he wasn't gonna do it but he ended up doing it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »

Did he really ?
That would be bad for him (and trump) .... really bad !
Can you post a link regarding this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »

Hurt. Trump could have made the case that he is a new kind of pro-LGBT Republican, picking Pence throws away that olive branch to younger voters.

Not to mention, all positions on the issues aside, Pence is a milquetoast goober. No one outside of DC is excited about this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies