Senate Confirmation Hearing: Truman for SoS (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:50:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Hearing: Truman for SoS (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Hearing: Truman for SoS (Confirmed)  (Read 649 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
« edited: July 27, 2016, 01:06:49 PM by Vice President Lumine »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

And here's the last of the current nominations.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:31:23 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Vice President. I await the questions of this distinguished body.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:28:28 AM »

First of all, Truman, how would you describe your overall foreign policy?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »

First of all, Truman, how would you describe your overall foreign policy?
Of course, the role of the Secretary of State is to develop the Republic's foreign policy in conjunction with the president, so I will not be acting unilaterally. As for my own views, I have always felt that Atlasia should act pragmatically on the world stage, in accordance with what best serves our interests and those of our allies. The role of the Republic of Atlasia is not to prowl the far corners of the earth, looking for dragons to slay. Our first responsibility is, and my first responsibility as your Secretary of State will be, to protect the citizens of Atlasia from harm, and all other agendas must take second seat to that.

With this in mind, it is also true that Atlasia - as the world's foremost superpower - does have a responsibility to intervene whenever the stability of the international community is at risk. The Second World War is a prime example of this. When international strongmen, whether terrorists or rogue nations like North Korea, threaten our stability and the safety of our allies, we must take action to defeat them. Diplomacy should always be the first tool out of the toolbox; but where diplomacy fails we should be prepared to use force to defend our rights and our people.

(FYI, I will be recovering from surgery over the next few days, so my activity may be limited. I will answer all further questions at the first opportunity).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »

To be frank, oftentimes SoS (formerly SoEA) and Internal Affairs positions have been unsuccessful and haven't really had an impact on the game. How do you plan to bring relevancy to the position and how do you envision your relationship with the GM?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »

I hope you recover from surgery Truman- even going through a couple of days with a chest infection back in April which required a couple of hospital visits took most of the energy out of me.

I was wondering what the Secretary thinks of the recent Military choas in Turkey, and outline what steps would be taken in the Middle East in regards to ISIS?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:22:12 PM »

To be frank, oftentimes SoS (formerly SoEA) and Internal Affairs positions have been unsuccessful and haven't really had an impact on the game. How do you plan to bring relevancy to the position and how do you envision your relationship with the GM?
To be equally blunt, the historical irrelevance of the State Department is not due to structural insufficiencies: past secretaries have made themselves irrelevant by dedicating all of their energy to what Oakvale aptly described as "writing fan fiction about their heroic efforts for Middle East peace." I have very little patience for this kind of filler. As I see it, the role of the Secretary of State is to engage the rest of the government on foreign affairs, and the best way to do that is to include as many people as possible in the diplomatic process. I intend to work in close concert with the president, the GM, Congress, and any other relevant agencies of this government to ensure that the actions of the State Department affect and include everyone.

Realism ought to be the first priority of the cabinet, and the Secretary of State in particular, so I will naturally work in close concert with the Game Moderator. Whenever it should be necessary to negotiate with foreign powers, I will seek to have the GM simulate the actions of the diplomats sitting across the table. Likewise, I intend to put an end to the absurd and detestable practice of cabinet officers writing the effects of their policies. The Secretary of State's job is to act upon the world stage; what comes of those actions must be left to the GM. There will be no fairytales or wishful world building in my office.

I was wondering what the Secretary thinks of the recent Military choas in Turkey, and outline what steps would be taken in the Middle East in regards to ISIS?
I heartily condemn the attempted coup against the government of Turkey, and pray for the swift return of stability to that country. Much as I have been frustrated by the actions of the Erdogan government in the past, nothing good can come from plunging another Middle Eastern country into civil war.

My thoughts on the proper strategy to defeat and destroy ISIS may be found here. As President Leinad and myself were largely in agreement on this issue during the late campaign, I believe this accurately reflects the steps I would take to confront this issue as Secretary of State.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 11:48:29 PM »

I thought I might butt in for a second to give my thoughts on Mr. Truman's nomination to SoS.

I want to first give my accolades to both Sen. Truman for his great and hopeful continual service to this nation, and Pres. Leinad for his nomination of this great citizen.

I first met Sen. Truman when he was Speaker of the Mideast Assembly. That was when I was trying to be cocky and tussle with the current establishment of the region. He, at that point, was desperately trying to pass the 2nd Amendment to the Fmr. Mideast Constitution which would limit the Assembly Seats from 5 to 3. I, as a citizen, challenged him as "taking power away from the people", he rebutted explaining to me what the recent history of the Assembly has been and why this amendment is seeking to reinvigorate our populace, not detracting it. I pondered this and asked him a couple of questions about the matter, every which one he responded promptly responded with well-thought-out and respectful responses to each one.

I, being the stubborn blowhard I am, still kept trying to challenge him on the issue. To which he, in kind words, took me down a notch. And then I decided to actually read and understand what he was proposing. To which, I apologized for my rudeness, and as time went on, became a strong supporter of that bill, which passed with flying colors. Now this anecdote isn't probably everyone's experience with Mr. Truman, nor is it the best experience I have had with him. But it was one that taught me something about this man, he's insightful, he's tough, but he always has the best interests of the people he represents in whatever he does. And I know that he will do that for the Atlasian People as Secretary of State.

I highly encourage this body to vote for this Great Atlasian Citizen to be the next Secretary of State for us and our great people.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »

I have a question for Sen. Truman regarding his policy vision on Eastern Europe. Where do you stand on Russia's moves regarding Ukraine and safety of our allies in Baltics?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »

Thank you for the answers, Truman. I would also like to ask what your plan regarding ISIS is.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 09:34:29 PM »

I have a question for Sen. Truman regarding his policy vision on Eastern Europe. Where do you stand on Russia's moves regarding Ukraine and safety of our allies in Baltics?
The Republic of Atlasia will stand by her allies in NATO. Period. An attack on our allies in the Baltics is an attack on Atlasia, and we will suffer no power - including Russia - to threaten the safety of our friends in Eastern Europe.

The Russian incursion into eastern Ukraine that began in 2013 is exactly that: a direct violation of that nation's sovereignty. Atlasia should not, and will not, recognize any of Russia's illegal claims to Ukrainian territory. But gentlemen, we must not loose our heads. Blundering into an unnecessary war in Eastern Europe would suit the Kremlin's purposes only too well. We are in the position of power: we hold all the cards, and by maintaining our strategy of economic sanctions we can force the Russians' hand.

Thank you for the answers, Truman. I would also like to ask what your plan regarding ISIS is.
I made a detailed post answering just that question a month ago: it can be found here. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about this plan.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »

I'll be voting Aye on this nominee
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon