How do you pronounce "Nietzsche?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How do you pronounce "Nietzsche?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
neech

neech-uh

nee-shay

nee-chay

nee-shee-uh

nee-chee-uh

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: How do you pronounce "Nietzsche?"  (Read 5849 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »

NEAT-sha.
Small L
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »

I think this is the same thing people mean when they vote "neech-uh."
Georg Ebner
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 07:50:34 PM »

Germans say /nietsche/. (But NIETZSCHE Himself wrote, that in His family there was an old saga of a polish Count of Nietzky - who fled as a protestant to Germany and germanized the name - being among their ancestors...)

Your spellings remind me of TAINE, who had heard an oxfordian orator saying "veini, veidi, veici" and meant, this would have been CAESAR's greatest achievement...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »

Germans say /nietsche/. (But NIETZSCHE Himself wrote, that in His family there was an old saga of a polish Count of Nietzky - who fled as a protestant to Germany and germanized the name - being among their ancestors...)

I didn't know this! Interesting.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »

For a German, this discussion looks funny. (Probably as funny as for the Speaker of a Slawic language the American pronounciation of the name "Kasich").

It's basically N - long i/ee - t - (mute z) - sh - weak e (a sound between a and e, which is probably meant by -uh here)

There are many variants of and related forms to this name like: Nitsche, Nietsche, Nitzsche, Nitsch, Nitschke and so on. It is derived of the Name "Nikolaus", and I would still bet some Slavic influence but I am not sure about that.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »

I don't.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »

Footnote that I wrote in a paper for a class called 'Christianity Engaging Modernity' last semester:

'Nietzsche’s entire project is of course needlessly incendiary by design, putting us in the awkward position of rightly calling it uncalled-for and excessive but at the same time recognizing that that is precisely the point. The human figure of Nietzsche rather than any specific aspect of Nietzsche’s thought is perhaps the best place to begin an analysis of him. Nietzsche also himself contains the seeds of a possible answer to him. “God is dead” originally (and in its more famous context) appears in The Gay Science but it behooves us here to look at the context in which it appears in Thus Spake/Spoke Zarathustra: Zarathustra meets “this old saint in the forest” who has not heard that God is dead and does not disabuse him of his notions. (Nietzsche, transl. Alexander Tille, Thus Spake Zarathustra (London: Everyman’s Library, 1933), p. 5. Originally published as Also sprach Zarathustra: Ein Buch für Alle und Keine (Chemnitz: Verlag von Ernst Schmeitzner, 1883). I am using a different translation again, for the same reason as before.) It is an odd, ambiguous, patronizing show of something resembling mercy and something resembling respect. Nietzsche assays to attack the entire scope and relevance and all the presuppositions of Christianity but he actually leaves Christianity as way of life more intact than do many figures working ostensibly within the Christian tradition. For many people it might prove easier to continue living a Christian life after encountering Nietzsche than after encountering Kierkegaard.'
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 08:09:57 PM »

Nee-chay in English, Nice in my mother language.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »

Your spellings remind me of TAINE, who had heard an oxfordian orator saying "veini, veidi, veici" and meant, this would have been CAESAR's greatest achievement...

So... Nee-Eht-Ski?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »

Nee-Shuh
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »

Pre-tent-ious.

Seriously though, I pronounce it "Knee-Chi".
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 03:46:06 AM »

Neech-uh
Georg Ebner
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2017, 06:33:07 PM by Georg Ebner »

'Nietzsche’s entire project is of course needlessly incendiary by design, putting us in the awkward position of rightly calling it uncalled-for and excessive but at the same time recognizing that that is precisely the point. The human figure of Nietzsche rather than any specific aspect of Nietzsche’s thought is perhaps the best place to begin an analysis of him. Nietzsche also himself contains the seeds of a possible answer to him. “God is dead” originally (and in its more famous context) appears in The Gay Science but it behooves us here to look at the context in which it appears in Thus Spake/Spoke Zarathustra: Zarathustra meets “this old saint in the forest” who has not heard that God is dead and does not disabuse him of his notions. (Nietzsche, transl. Alexander Tille, Thus Spake Zarathustra (London: Everyman’s Library, 1933), p. 5. Originally published as Also sprach Zarathustra: Ein Buch für Alle und Keine (Chemnitz: Verlag von Ernst Schmeitzner, 1883). I am using a different translation again, for the same reason as before.) It is an odd, ambiguous, patronizing show of something resembling mercy and something resembling respect. Nietzsche assays to attack the entire scope and relevance and all the presuppositions of Christianity but he actually leaves Christianity as way of life more intact than do many figures working ostensibly within the Christian tradition. For many people it might prove easier to continue living a Christian life after encountering Nietzsche than after encountering Kierkegaard.'
E.FRIEDELL called the causa NIETZSCHE "A BrotherDiscord in the house of CHRIST" (GRILLPARZER had written a drama "A BrotherDiscord in the house of Habsburg"...)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 03:18:03 AM »

Other (Hebrew): Nit-she (the e in the end sounds like in 'beg', not like in 'be')
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »

The correct way: neech-uh
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States