Freshman in college
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:49:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Freshman in college
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Freshman in college  (Read 360 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2016, 01:42:27 PM by Spark498 »

So I'm going to be a freshman in college this year and I have to say that I am really excited and looking forward to the challenge. I will be majoring in Environmental Science and minoring in Political Science.  I took some Honors and AP classes in high school my Jr & Sr years but unfortuntately was unable to receive AP credit. But nonetheless, here is my tentative schedule let me know what you think.

CHM111 General Chemistry I
CHL111 Laboratory
GEO153 Field Studies in Env Sci
GEL153 Laboratory
SPN201 Intermed Spanish I
*ECN 151 Intro to Macroeconomics
*HIS 155 Global History to 1500

(Considering getting these changed to Political Sci & Religion)
18 credits total - CORRECTION
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 01:42:57 AM »

Its really hard to comment on the difficulty of schedule without a comparison of school. Some schools have different grading policies/cultures that are relatively more or less lenient than others.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 02:08:59 AM »

...Too many credits, take it easy and get adjusted.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »

Eff the "too many credits" doctrine. Unless you make the wise decision to rush a fraternity (or several!), just plow through school and say "eff it!" to those that hold you back.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »

I'm actually going back to Tally tomorrow so I can work out my meager community college schedule out. I've applied the academic principle of "do the bare minimum required" in High School, something I'm trying not to repeat at TCC.

...Too many credits, take it easy and get adjusted.
Yeah, I ended up dropping a few classes my first semester. I'm limiting myself to three classes per semester, and did two on M/W/F and one on Tues/Thurs last semester and I definitely had more fun.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 04:10:15 PM »

Eff the "too many credits" doctrine. Unless you make the wise decision to rush a fraternity (or several!), just plow through school and say "eff it!" to those that hold you back.

Because that works out so well for mental health,...or not.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 11:56:55 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2016, 05:34:12 PM by Del Tachi »

Yeah, definitely too much of a course load for your first semester.  My institution would never let freshmen overload (take more than 18 hours a semester), and the absolute maximum is 21.

Drop a class.  Have fun.  

Also, I'm majoring in environmental economics and minoring in political science and my biggest piece of advice to you is get to know your undergraduate advisers for both your primary and secondary curriculum.  You'll be surprised how willing advisers will be to "double count" classes for both curricula if you're nice and friendly to them.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »

Because that works out so well for mental health,...or not.

When has mental health mattered? Probably the last time I was "mentally healthy" was in childhood, and back then I was a no-name virgin who couldn't even drive. What's that tell you?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:34 AM »

Cathcon is right, take as many classes as you want and do what you want. I found college classes much easier in terms of workload than high school classes and so I on multiple occasions took courseloads that were so high that I needed special permission from the school; it was fine, I managed to maintain a 3.5 GPA and a reasonably active social life while getting enough sleep, and that was how I graduated with three degrees.

The one piece of advice that I give to everyone entering college (and I know there are plenty of you people on this site) is to plan ahead of time, particularly if you want to study multiple things. Find out all the requirements for your major(s) and all the prereqs for those classes, and then put everything on a spreadsheet so that you know what to take every semester and don't waste your time taking things you don't need. That way you'll have space for the classes you want; I was able to take Russian for my last four semesters of college despite the fact that it didn't count for any of my degree programs because I had planned things out so that I had space for it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies