Opinion of Kemalism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:57:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Kemalism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FI

HI

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Opinion of Kemalism  (Read 658 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »

Negative.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »

Utterly terrible.

Erdoganism is shaping up to be equally terrible if not worse, though.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 02:03:03 PM »

Negative.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 02:34:51 PM »

The lesser evil
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 03:09:36 PM »

Heh, I know it's fashionable to s**t at everything Turkish today, but the only answer is mixed. Preferable to Erdoganism, Enverism or Abdulhamidism.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 03:16:16 PM »

Wonderful Idealogy
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »

Freedom ideology because it's the reason for Turkey's secularity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »

If an American leader treated Christianity the way Kemal treated Islam, you'd be up in arms.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »

If an American leader treated Christianity the way Kemal treated Islam, you'd be up in arms.

Actually the US's laws regarding church/state separation aren't much different. The real difference is that Christianity isn't really all that "rules" focused in comparison to Islam or Judaism and Christianity is far easier to function separately from the state.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »

Also,

Actually the US's laws regarding church/state separation aren't much different. The real difference is that Christianity isn't really all that "rules" focused in comparison to Islam or Judaism and Christianity is far easier to function separately from the state.
lol... okay.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2016, 04:30:26 PM by I did not see L.A. »

I was under the impression that Kemalist secularism had more in common with Third Republic French secularism (not to say those two are similar, far from it, but everything is relative) than with the American non-establishment doctrine.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »

FI. The reason, why Turkey was much better than other muslim countries, in the area, until very recently. What's the reason for voting negative?
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 11:58:34 PM »

I have to say, there seems to be no correlation between people's political affiliation and how they are voting on this.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »

Yeah, I would be.  American Christianity and Islam are not the same.  Turkish Islamism is dangerous, American Christianity, not as much. Kemal realized that.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 12:09:06 AM »

Yeah, I would be.  American Christianity and Islam are not the same.  Turkish Islamism is dangerous, American Christianity, not as much. Kemal realized that.

What exactly makes Turkish Islamism dangerous?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »

Horrendous. I see everybody is focusing on muh laïcité and completely ignoring the hyper-nationalistic component.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 12:10:26 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2016, 12:12:10 AM by Brown Line »

Yeah, I would be.  American Christianity and Islam are not the same.  Turkish Islamism is dangerous, American Christianity, not as much. Kemal realized that.

They wouldn't be in NATO, for starters.

The anti-semitism is another issue which only started to come out under Erdogan, naturally.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 12:12:52 AM »

Erdogan seems to be staying well-put in NATO.

Also, this of course also implies Turkish membership in NATO is conducive to peace, which Russo-Turkish relations have shown that it is probably not.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 12:15:25 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2016, 12:18:15 AM by Brown Line »

Yeah, I would be.  American Christianity and Islam are not the same.  Turkish Islamism is dangerous, American Christianity, not as much. Kemal realized that.

Erdogan seems to be staying well-put in NATO.

Also, this of course also implies Turkish membership in NATO is conducive to peace, which Russo-Turkish relations have shown that it is probably not.

He's staying put, for now.. Give it 20 years and come back to me.  He has no choice at the moment.
Turkish membership has absolutely been condicive for peace.  During the Cold War, without Turkey, the middle east is a total wild card.  You way underestimate their contribution.

And like I said, explain away the anti-Semitisim that has arisen.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 04:28:06 AM »

What's the reason for voting negative?

Giving two sh*ts about the fate of Armenian, Kurdish and Greek people would be a good starting point.

Horrendous. I see everybody is focusing on muh laïcité and completely ignoring the hyper-nationalistic component.

The reason I focused on muh laïcité was because that was the most obvious way to point out the ridiculousness of an American conservative expressing support for it. It's certainly not what motivated my vote.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 05:07:42 AM »

I don't actually care about laicite. I have long come to accept it's a cultural thing, and what to my Anglo ears seems like a completely trivial and banal thing (like people being allowed to wear a turban or or a hijab or a cross or whatever in the public sphere) is in fact a deeply disturbing attack on the secular state for people steeped in laicite values.

What I do care about is the hyper nationalist TURK FIRST TURK FIRST TURK FIRST (especially in a country with so many ethnic minorities), the hilariously elitist attitudes and outright dislike of the poor etc,

I should point out that Kemal himself wasn't terrible and was overall an FF, as a lot of his ideas replaced even worse ideas like Pan-Turkism. But the contemporary form of Kemalism has got worse And more ridiculous over the years.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 05:09:03 AM »

The anti-semitism is another issue which only started to come out under Erdogan, naturally.

The anti-semitism is a (disturbing) pan Islamic trend that has emerged from a mixture of legitimate grievances with Israel and ominous funding from the usual suspects.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 07:12:14 AM »

I should point out that Kemal himself wasn't terrible and was overall an FF, as a lot of his ideas replaced even worse ideas like Pan-Turkism. But the contemporary form of Kemalism has got worse And more ridiculous over the years.

Destroying any chance of a Kurdish and (at the time) Armenian State, makes him a clear HP IMO.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »

Obviously, the ideal mix for Turkey would be an ideology that respects minorities' right to self-determination, while at the same time pursuing secularization and pan-Turkism as a counterweight to Saudification. Given the actually-existing alternatives, however, I can't see Kemalism as anything other than a Relative FI.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 07:34:27 AM »

Destroying any chance of a Kurdish and (at the time) Armenian State, makes him a clear HP IMO.

I understand, but I'll play the devil's advocate here. The Ottoman Empire had collapsed massively, which on it's own was quite traumatizing. Furthermore, Turkey was destined by the victors to be a small state, divided into zones of influence, and it took Ataturk to threw these plans, which, in some cases, were just plain wrong (Istanbul to Greece, wtf?).

I'm not defending Ataturk in regard of Kurds and Armenians, but we must remember context of the times and how any separatism/fragmentation must have been viewed by the Turks.

Also, if it's worth anything, Kemalism was nowhere near genocidal levels that took place under the Three Pashas.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies