Conservative Christian pastor would vote for Trump over Jesus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:07:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Conservative Christian pastor would vote for Trump over Jesus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conservative Christian pastor would vote for Trump over Jesus  (Read 782 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Raw Story

Disgusting!  Hopefully the people who oversee this "pastor's" church defrock him immediately for his idolatry and daring to preach politics from the pulpit.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »

He said he would support Trump over someone who ran the country according to the principles found in Sermon on the Mount, not that he would literally support Trump over Jesus. If he actually said the latter, I would agree with you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 01:31:11 AM »

He said he would support Trump over someone who ran the country according to the principles found in Sermon on the Mount, not that he would literally support Trump over Jesus. If he actually said the latter, I would agree with you.

No, this is still awfully disgusting. Raw strongman authoritarian governing in the name of Jesus.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 01:37:22 AM »

At least he's honest. These days most "evangelical organizations" are just GOP affiliates.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 01:42:26 AM »

Oh, because what he actually said is so much better and more Christian.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 05:40:06 AM »

Andrew Sullivan get's it spot on.

'The degeneracy of conservatism – its descent into literally mindless appeals to tribalism and fear and hatred – was on full display. You might also say the same about the religious right, the members of whom have eagerly embraced a racist, a nativist, a believer in war crimes, and a lover of the tyrants that conservatism once defined itself against. Their movement long lost any claim to a serious Christian conscience. But that they would so readily embrace such an unreconstructed pagan is indeed a revelation.'
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:48:44 AM »

'The degeneracy of conservatism – its descent into literally mindless appeals to tribalism and fear and hatred – was on full display. You might also say the same about the religious right, the members of whom have eagerly embraced a racist, a nativist, a believer in war crimes, and a lover of the tyrants that conservatism once defined itself against. Their movement long lost any claim to a serious Christian conscience. But that they would so readily embrace such an unreconstructed pagan is indeed a revelation.'

I'd like to GPG this post, but since it's someone else's quote it doesn't really make sense to. So let me just say it's very well put.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 12:55:30 PM »

'The degeneracy of conservatism – its descent into literally mindless appeals to tribalism and fear and hatred – was on full display. You might also say the same about the religious right, the members of whom have eagerly embraced a racist, a nativist, a believer in war crimes, and a lover of the tyrants that conservatism once defined itself against. Their movement long lost any claim to a serious Christian conscience. But that they would so readily embrace such an unreconstructed pagan is indeed a revelation.'

There's a pretty high correlation between anyone who'd use the term "RINO" seriously and hiding under the term "conservative" (while totally bastardizing the actual historical ideology) to say and do whatever you want (and, of course, it's usually horribly offensive and void of intellect).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:41:19 PM »

As would I, as I don't want my God as my President.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 01:19:02 AM »

no more than a few percent of Americans actually want a government literally based on the Sermon on the Mount, if they are honest with themselves.  because that's basically anarchistic pacifism.

but if you are a Christian you should not be endorsing the exact opposite principle. you want to try to think about how you can best apply the principles of humility and forgiveness while still protecting the innocent.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 01:37:24 AM »

no more than a few percent of Americans actually want a government literally based on the Sermon on the Mount, if they are honest with themselves.  because that's basically anarchistic pacifism.

but if you are a Christian you should not be endorsing the exact opposite principle. you want to try to think about how you can best apply the principles of humility and forgiveness while still protecting the innocent.

If this election has taught me anything, it's that the people in the Republican Party who call themselves "Christian" basically just use the term as a justification to hate anyone who isn't white, straight, rich and Republican.

Would a "real" Christian not be bothered by Trump's multiple marriages and history of lying and deceiving people with things like Trump University?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 01:48:32 AM »

If this election has taught me anything, it's that the people in the Republican Party who call themselves "Christian" basically just use the term as a justification to hate anyone who isn't white, straight, rich and Republican.

Would a "real" Christian not be bothered by Trump's multiple marriages and history of lying and deceiving people with things like Trump University?

You just learned that?!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 02:17:33 AM »

there's this thing called cognitive dissonance.  it can be quite powerful.  if this election season has taught me anything, it's that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 02:30:55 AM »

(Spits out coffee in comedic fashion)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 03:20:53 AM »

I strongly disagree with the pastor's words. That said, the title of the thread is highly misleading and should be changed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 04:38:15 AM »

I strongly disagree with the pastor's words. That said, the title of the thread is highly misleading and should be changed.

This is US General Discussion dammit. You'll have to take my right to misleading headlines out of my cold dead hands!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies