Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:09:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should the baker be forced to sell the cake?
Yes, but only because it's not for a wedding

Yes, even if it were for a wedding and not a birthday

No, she should not have to sell them the cake

Other/Moderate hero option

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife...  (Read 3651 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2016, 06:50:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pink News

Should the baker have been forced to sell the cake?  Is participating in "gay birthdays" the same as participating in "gay weddings?"  Is it ever appropriate to look up your client's Facebook page to figure out their sexuality?  Its you're chose!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »

This feels more like denying access to a standard good as opposed to not performing a special service that endorses the event. So I would lean towards "they should be required to sell the cake".
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »

She shouldn't be forced to bake the cake. If she doesn't want to, that's her problem. Mrs. Lowe can go somewhere else.

The baker, however, should put a sign in the bakery window that says "Straights Only." We'll see how much business she gets then.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »

She shouldn't be forced to bake the cake. If she doesn't want to, that's her problem. Mrs. Lowe can go somewhere else.

The baker, however, should put a sign in the bakery window that says "Straights Only." We'll see how much business she gets then.

Yes, quite that! I'm sure most here would be fine with the baker just burning the cake and delivering it with the message, "this is what will happen to you" so long as precious group gets its service provided and bigot gets [preferred pronoun] cash.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »

I used to be in Camp A, but now I'm in Camp B. I've talked about this a couple of times already, but baking a wedding cake does not constitute participation in a wedding, and is certainly not a Biblical part of Christian marriage.

Now, the baker shouldn't be forced to write "Happy Birthday! Gay Pride!" on the cake, but that's a freedom of speech thing, not a freedom of religion thing.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 07:57:52 PM »

If you wouldn't sell a cake to an interracial couple, you're a racist. If you wouldn't sell a cake to a gay couple, you're homophobic. Wonder why conservatives aren't rushing to defend the right of that restaurant owner who told the local police they weren't welcome to eat at his restaurant to refuse them service.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »

Yes, people shouldn't be denied service because of their sexual orientation.  I know this is just a birthday cake, but there are some towns that only really have one market for the whole town.  If that market was allowed to refuse service to gays, it could force them into becoming subsistence farmers or travel long distances just to buy food!  That would be crazy.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »

Yes, people shouldn't be denied service because of their sexual orientation.  I know this is just a birthday cake, but there are some towns that only really have one market for the whole town.  If that market was allowed to refuse service to gays, it could force them into becoming subsistence farmers or travel long distances just to buy food!  That would be crazy.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »

Basically this.

Using religion to justify discrimination is disgusting. If history and the current trajectory of this country are to be trusted, this bs will be banned eventually and these assholes will have nothing to fall back on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »

It's been illegal for over fifty years for private businesses to discriminate based on race, color, religion or national origin.  There is no logical argument in today's society why this shouldn't be amended to include sexual orientation and gender identity, unless the argument is in favor of abolishing this law entirely (which would obviously be a return to a dark and scary time in our history, but at least the argument would be logically consistent).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 11:12:17 PM »

There is no logical argument in today's society why this shouldn't be amended to include sexual orientation and gender identity

Sure there is. Gender identity isn't a thing, and sex is already protected.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:26 PM »

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 11:25:07 PM »

I used to be in Camp A, but now I'm in Camp B. I've talked about this a couple of times already, but baking a wedding cake does not constitute participation in a wedding, and is certainly not a Biblical part of Christian marriage.

Now, the baker shouldn't be forced to write "Happy Birthday! Gay Pride!" on the cake, but that's a freedom of speech thing, not a freedom of religion thing.

Agree, except I was never in Camp A.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 12:38:43 AM »

Owning any kind of bakery or restaurant is an incredibly hectic, fast-paced job, and the fact that this baker is so overcome with hatred for gay people that she wasted time on this foolishness is downright pathetic.

You're a baker. Bake cakes, sell cakes and shut the hell up. If you wanted to save humanity from sin, you should have joined the clergy.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 12:44:36 AM »

It's been illegal for over fifty years for private businesses to discriminate based on race, color, religion or national origin.  There is no logical argument in today's society why this shouldn't be amended to include sexual orientation and gender identity, unless the argument is in favor of abolishing this law entirely (which would obviously be a return to a dark and scary time in our history, but at least the argument would be logically consistent).

Basically, this.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 12:55:05 AM »

I still think the best answer is no.  Wouldn't you want to know the person making your cake was prejudiced against you?  Why force them into making something and have them possibly sabotage that item because they don't like you? Shouldn't others know about their prejudice and get called out on it? 
Wouldn't you want to give your money to someone who appreciates your business?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »

Owning any kind of bakery or restaurant is an incredibly hectic, fast-paced job, and the fact that this baker is so overcome with hatred for gay people that she wasted time on this foolishness is downright pathetic.

You're a baker. Bake cakes, sell cakes and shut the hell up. If you wanted to save humanity from sin, you should have joined the clergy.

Religion is too important to be left to the priests.  That said, refusing to sell a cake saying "Happy Birthday <insert name here>!" because she was the woman's wife instead of her friend is definitely ridiculous.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 01:03:05 AM »

I still think the best answer is no.  Wouldn't you want to know the person making your cake was prejudiced against you?  Why force them into making something and have them possibly sabotage that item because they don't like you? Shouldn't others know about their prejudice and get called out on it? 

TBH, I think this a good argument for repealing anti-discrimination laws in general, which I would support. But as long as we have them, they need to applied consistently and fairly.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 01:03:22 AM »

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 01:06:22 AM »

TBH, I think this a good argument for repealing anti-discrimination laws in general, which I would support. But as long as we have them, they need to applied consistently and fairly.

I agree there. But if your baker is a racist nutjob, it would be nice to let them voluntarily expose that fact.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 01:42:22 AM »

Camp A.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 02:21:14 AM »

There is no logical argument in today's society why this shouldn't be amended to include sexual orientation and gender identity

Sure there is. Gender identity isn't a thing, and sex is already protected.

My original post specifically referred to "today's society", so evidently my entire point must have been lost on you.  You're welcome to come back to it once you've caught up to the rest of us.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 05:37:03 AM »

Businesses have no right to discriminate. Period.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »

Is this the only place to buy a cake?  And they don't like gay people?  Seems like a perfect business opportunity for someone that isn't a bigot.
Mr. Jew
Roger Waters
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2016, 11:26:54 PM by True Federalist »

I am not really sure to be honest.  Part of me really wants to use the "well, she will suffer now that everyone knows she is a bigot" option but at the very same time it is quite disturbing that this woman went to  the length of looking this person up on facebook and then deciding to use very personal information to deny her service.  I mean that is downright creepy and isn't exactly a privacy violation but this isn't a job interview ya know?  There really is no reasonable basis for an owner to go on facebook to determine whether or not they should or can sell to somebody.  That is just bull.

Moderate Hero.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies