Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:03:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the baker be forced to sell the cake?
Yes, but only because it's not for a wedding

Yes, even if it were for a wedding and not a birthday

No, she should not have to sell them the cake

Other/Moderate hero option

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife...  (Read 3684 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 18, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »

Is this the only place to buy a cake?  And they don't like gay people?  Seems like a perfect business opportunity for someone that isn't a bigot.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »

This isn't like Jim Crow.  Nothing at all like Jim Crow.

What percentage of Americans do you think live in towns so small there is only one place to buy a cake?  And I'd guess its an even smaller percentage of gay Americans.  Maybe 2.5%?  Yes, in those places you should be able to compel (with the force of the law) the local bigot cake maker to make you a cake (though why you would want to give somebody that hates you money is another issue, but whatever, the point is more important than not helping the bigot out I guess).  I don't understand why the other 98% of us don't just avoid bigoted bakers, maybe start a PR campaign/protest against them, advertise for the non bigoted bakers.  Certainly not go out of our way to find the bigots to give them our money.  Or give them free PR to other bigots by suing them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

What percentage of Americans do you think live in towns so small there is only one place to buy a cake?  And I'd guess its an even smaller percentage of gay Americans.  Maybe 2.5%?  Yes, in those places you should be able to compel (with the force of the law) the local bigot cake maker to make you a cake (though why you would want to give somebody that hates you money is another issue, but whatever, the point is more important than not helping the bigot out I guess).  I don't understand why the other 98% of us don't just avoid bigoted bakers, maybe start a PR campaign/protest against them, advertise for the non bigoted bakers.  Certainly not go out of our way to find the bigots to give them our money.  Or give them free PR to other bigots by suing them.

The other 98% of us don't all just avoid bigoted bakers because a significant number of us consider their bigotry acceptable.
I would assume most of us (bigots or not) avoid bigoted bakers by accident because there are so few of them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »

Read again, DeadO. If someone is looking for a nice cake better than a sheet cake from the Wal-Mart or grocery generic bakery without leaving town or taking a lengthy urban commute to another neighborhood, quite a damn few.
Look man, I get it.  I suppose gay people should have a constitutional right to convenient fancy deserts just like straight people enjoy.   I still have my issues with the whole thing, but those issues, like the issue itself, are minor.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »

Look man, I get it.  I suppose gay people should have a constitutional right to convenient fancy deserts just like straight people enjoy.   I still have my issues with the whole thing, but those issues, like the issue itself, are minor.

It's not like they can only discriminate for cakes. What happens when all sorts of other businesses begin doing this?
I'd have the same opinion if it's just other luxury goods and services.  If it's something, you know, important, I'll march with you, but we both know that's not going to happen.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »

Since when is cake NOT a luxury good...it's cake.  We remember the (incorrectly translated) phrase "let them eat cake" for a reason.  And not just a "sheet cake from Wal Mart" either.  It's got to be fancy and stacked and what not.

A luxury, to me at least, perhaps I'm wrong or people have different definitions for sh**t, but to me it means any good that isn't a necessity or a staple.  Water, not a luxury.  Milk, not a luxury in the US in 2016.  Sugar, not a luxury.  A car, almost always a luxury.  A shirt, not luxury.  A shirt that costs $50, a luxury.  Sweets, like candies and cakes and what have you, a luxury.

You need water and milk and bread and meat and corn and clothing, you don't need cake or a Snickers.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »

I think you're forgetting that I said
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gay people should be able to buy sh**t as easily as non-gay people.  Luxury or not.  My issues with it, again, are that for the VAST majority of gay people there is going to be a second place to buy your fancy cake or your Ford.  What's the point in forcing money into the bigoted dealership's pocket when there is a dealership down the street with a rainbow flag flying, unicorns in the parking lot and a Village People cover band on stage?  Yes, if you live in BFE Idaho and the Ford dealership refuses to sell you a car, maybe they should be forced to, but in middle of Seattle?  What's the freaking point?  Advertise on your social medias and to your friends that Bigoted Bob's House of Imports refused to sell me a used a Civic because I was wearing a Teegan and Sara shirt.  Contact the local media.  Whatever.  Don't give them money though, it seems so silly to me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 08:51:05 AM »

There is only one gay person in a town with 10 bakeries capable of making fancy wedding cakes?  Seems....impossible.
So a business's right to discriminate is like a bystander problem in your world?
Indeed, just as it is for almost everybody in our great country, no matter which way they like their lover's genitalia.  These cases, unless there are a WHOLE bunch we don't hear about (which I suppose isn't impossible) are rare.  Most gay people (I'm guessing way over 95%) that have gotten married have had no trouble at all getting a wedding cake.  Or maybe they have and I just haven't heard about, seems highly unlikely though.  Again, if it's the only business in town doing the service you need and they refuse, perhaps the govt should get involved....I still don't think the first action should be to call the cops or your lawyer though.

Again, I'm generally on your side here, I just don't think it's that huge of a deal because it doesn't affect that many people, and I feel for those that are affected and think using the govt to fix their problem isn't the worst thing in the world.  So unless you can show me that this happens all the freaking time, I think we're going to have to agree to (mostly) agree.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »

Perhaps.  Not the first time, not the last. 

Apparently it's not a minor problem and happens all the time.  That sucks, and we should be more aware of it.  The 99 out of 100 that don't talk about it (for whatever reason), should be talking about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies