Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:27:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the baker be forced to sell the cake?
Yes, but only because it's not for a wedding

Yes, even if it were for a wedding and not a birthday

No, she should not have to sell them the cake

Other/Moderate hero option

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife...  (Read 3786 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: July 20, 2016, 01:33:10 AM »

If the baker already agreed to do it, and then changed her mind because she found out the person was gay, that would fall under breach of contract wouldn't it?

I don't think there's much if any of a religious liberty case for this like there is for a same sex wedding.  But I still can't relate to the concept that someone would be in desperate need of a birthday cake from a store to the extent that you could force someone to bake it for you, absent some agreement they had made to do it.  It's a stretch to consider this type of service a public accomodation, which originally applied to things like hotels and meals that someone would need either for survival or for travel.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »

Is this the only place to buy a cake?  And they don't like gay people?  Seems like a perfect business opportunity for someone that isn't a bigot.

If there are only a few gay people in town, it doesn't sound like a "perfect business opportunity" unless you want to charge extortionate prices of gay customers banned from the other bakery. This baker can successfully discriminate without suffering much in the way of consequences.

Except for retaliation by activists.
Their yelp page is now a bunch of unbelievably awful supposed reviews by people who live hundreds of miles away.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/take-the-cake-bakery-and-cake-design-shop-toledo
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 12:28:02 AM »

Is this the only place to buy a cake?  And they don't like gay people?  Seems like a perfect business opportunity for someone that isn't a bigot.

If there are only a few gay people in town, it doesn't sound like a "perfect business opportunity" unless you want to charge extortionate prices of gay customers banned from the other bakery. This baker can successfully discriminate without suffering much in the way of consequences.

Except for retaliation by activists.
Their yelp page is now a bunch of unbelievably awful supposed reviews by people who live hundreds of miles away.

Hmm, if any of those reviews are inauthentic the owner can work with Yelp to have them removed. I know some people think that freedom to discriminate should mean freedom to discriminate without any negative consequences; fortunately this is a pretty minor inconvenience compared to what the baker was dishing out, we can agree.

If I were a business owner I think having a one-star Yelp rating and losing business because people are spreading rumors that your cakes are moldly might qualify as at least as big an inconvenience.   But at least I haven't heard anything about them receiving arson threats like in the Pizza Memories case. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies