Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:36:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the baker be forced to sell the cake?
Yes, but only because it's not for a wedding

Yes, even if it were for a wedding and not a birthday

No, she should not have to sell them the cake

Other/Moderate hero option

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Woman tries to buy birthday cake for her wife...  (Read 3796 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: July 19, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »

Why did this weirdo baker decide to look up his customer's Facebook page to begin with?Huh
Yeah, that is weird as hell. I hope the backlash puts his business out of commission.

Anywho, I have a pretty clear-cut position on this. If you don't believe in gay marriage and don't want to "aide and abed" a gay marriage ceremony, like a wedding, you have the right to refuse service. However, a birthday cake is not religious in nature. The private life of the two women involved is none of his business (it would be if he had to bake a cake involving their private life, ie, a wedding) so he lacks the right to freedom of association in this case.

If he can deny service to these two women, why not deny service to a pregnant teenager? Or a recovering alcoholic? The public means the public. A gay wedding is not the public, but a gay couple entering the bakery for a simple birthday cake is.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »

Businesses have no right to discriminate. Period.

It's not that simple I'm afraid.  I mean I hate bigotry and intolerance, but your kind of statement is a pretty blanket statement.  For starters, should a business be obliged to serve skinheads?  Personally I think not.

If they're not promoting/ostentating their views or being disruptive in any way and the only way you can tell they are skinheads is by their physical looks, then I don't see how you can refuse service.
What if they have a swastika tattooed on their forehead?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies