Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:18:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 76
Author Topic: Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 98562 times)
Seriously?
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »

Hopefully this convention helps Americans realize the stakes of this election. This party is unhinged.

And your party is about to nominate a criminal
No charges were ever given to her, unlike your nominee who is on trial for fraud.
Trump is not "on trial for fraud." It's a civil suit, not a criminal one.

All due respect, trials can happen in civil law. Not exclusive to criminal law
No criminal charges are brought in a tort action.

And if you are found liable civilly, you are NOT a criminal. Ask OJ.

I know. But your original comment made it sound like trials in civil suits can't happen, when in fact they obviously can.
No, the way I read the comment in question is that Trump was criminally "charged" with fraud. He wasn't. A civil suit was brought against his organization with an allegation of fraud. Huge difference.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »

I don't believe I've actually used this word yet during the 2016, but this is just fascism. Plain and simple.

It's scary. The crowd is scary. The words people are saying are scary.

All I've heard is basically a thin defense of why we should deliberately ignore the words of black people and, in fact, push back. What is this disgusting bullsh-t that America has become?

This is what's truly scary. It's not just that Trump is the nominee, but that such a huge faction of the party is so supportive of some truly awful policies.

Indeed, I'm watching this mostly to be glad I'm not a member of this ridiculous party, that is FAR different from the party of Calvin Coolidge and Robert Taft. And it's sad how so many people feel they have to defend one of the two evils, including many people who stood against drinking the party's cool-aid not that long ago.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »

I don't believe I've actually used this word yet during the 2016, but this is just fascism. Plain and simple.

All I've heard is basically a thin defense of why we should deliberately ignore the words of black people and, in fact, push back. What is this disgusting bullsh-t that America has become?

This is what's truly scary. It's not just that Drumpf is the nominee, but that such a huge faction of the party is so supportive of some truly awful policies.

Indeed, I'm watching this mostly to be glad I'm not a member of this ridiculous party, that is FAR different from the party of Calvin Coolidge and Robert Taft. And it's sad how so many people feel they have to defend one of the two evils, including many people who stood against drinking the party's cool-aid not that long ago.
Meh, both Trump and Coolidge were anti immigrant, for fair trade, and both are much more isolationist than other Republicans. Trump seems to me like a Republican from the '20s.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #353 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:18 PM »

I've been using the word for a while to describe the state of affairs in the republican party. Its just getting to be very very obvious at this point.

Really, as a country we have a choice between something similar to what we got right now, or throwing your heads into the woodchipper by giving into these yahoos.

Yes, the GOP is crazy, but the Democrats are crazy too. Both parties are crazy. You have a party that embraces the Black Lives Matter movement. Both parties are crazy.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #354 on: July 18, 2016, 09:00:29 PM »

Today I learned you can win an election without any substance or truth as long as you spread enough anger, fear, and hate.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #355 on: July 18, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »

I've been using the word for a while to describe the state of affairs in the republican party. Its just getting to be very very obvious at this point.

Really, as a country we have a choice between something similar to what we got right now, or throwing your heads into the woodchipper by giving into these yahoos.

Yes, the GOP is crazy, but the Democrats are crazy too. Both parties are crazy. You have a party that embraces the Black Lives Matter movement. Both parties are crazy.

Neither party does.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #356 on: July 18, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »

The theme of tonight at the RNC is fear... this is disgusting. This is how people in a democracy vote in support of tyranny.
Yeah, because we SHOULDN'T be making a big deal about three people that had no legal right to be here KILLING Americans that belong here.

Because we all know American citizens never commit murder against other American citizens.
Irrelevant. If these leftist cities were not sanctuary cities and these illegals were properly deported, this would never have happened.

And if every future criminal was deported, then there would be no crime. Someone's immigration status is irrelevant to their chance of committing a violent crime. And there is no way to tell with certainty who will end up committing a violent crime.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #357 on: July 18, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »

Today I learned you can win an election without any substance or truth as long as you spread enough anger, fear, and hate.

You didn't know that before?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #358 on: July 18, 2016, 09:02:42 PM »

Bikers for Trump removing Code Pink protestors!
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #359 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:15 PM »

You didn't know that before?

What I didn't realize was that you could gather all the crazies into one stadium and have them applaud the anger, fear, and hate on national television.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #360 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:23 PM »

Um... when did Obama and Clinton say amnesty and citizenship for all? Blatant lie.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #361 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »

The Cleveland Plain Dealer app on my phone just notified me the bomb squad was called to downtown.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »

A New Yorker on the ticket "for once"Huh Seriously?Huh?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »

Oh piss off. She still lost her son.

No what pisses me off, is not that she is emotional regarding the death of her son in Libya.

What *does* piss me off is that the RNC in an attempt to "slime" Hillary Clinton regarding Libya/Benghazi that there appears to be a completely blind eye when it comes to the death of Americans in Iraq.

I lost a good friend in Iraq, assigned to the Oregon National Guard, who died in combat outside of Taji/Camp Cooke at the hands of a roadside bomb and decisions made by the Bush Administration, not only to go into Iraq, but additionally to use "stop-loss" and not provide uparmored Humvees...

It sickens me that the RNC decided to use this mother's grief to make political points against Hillary Clinton, while not even addressing the real grief that families and friends of those who have fallen in Iraq in order to try to score cheap political points.

If anyone is interested, here is a tribute to my friend from Corvallis/Albany who served his country and died in Iraq, despite his personal reservations about the merits of the mission.

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-spc-eric-s-mckinley/263041

So none of the "chicken-hawks" out there even felt a need to respond to my post, let alone Atlas "Liberal Democrats"....

Sad day for America and the forum when we have multiple pages of discussion regarding a grieving mother who lost a child in Libya, but no interest or even comments regarding the loss of my friend in Iraq.

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2016, 09:06:01 PM »

A Republican primary, yes.  Trump will not win the general.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2016, 09:07:26 PM »

If Trump actually gets a convention bounce from this, then I will be greatly disappointed in America.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »

Neither party does.

Um..the Democratic Party kind of does. They have Trayvon Martin's mother speaking next week. It shows that they are embracing the movement.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2016, 09:07:46 PM »

AMERICA! UNA! AMERICA! GRANDE! AMERICA! LIBRE!
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #368 on: July 18, 2016, 09:07:49 PM »

I'd say there's even chances of either party winning.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #369 on: July 18, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »

LOL, I knew this was going to be crapshow but for christ sakes, the whole thing is downright degenerate.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #370 on: July 18, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »

If Trump actually gets a convention bounce from this, then I will be greatly disappointed in America.

I think he will. Fear drives voters.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #371 on: July 18, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »

In this case it seems like less a matter of picking "the lesser of two evils" than of choosing figurative evil over literal evil.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2016, 09:10:22 PM »

I'd say there's even chances of either party winning.
I would've too before this convention
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »

The psychology of competition and partisanship during elections really is quite disturbing. I don't blame some of the posters here for standing by or even cheering on such a disgusting display, but more the system that creates this effect. I can only hope that people reexamine themselves, these speeches, and determine for themselves what is right and what is wrong.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »

Giuliani's a little bit nuts.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies