Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:49:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 99065 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 18, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »

So far, the GOP convention is very feisty, very fierce.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:09:33 PM »

Willie is talking tough. Very, very tough.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »

This entire day has been such a turnoff for any reasonably educated and decent Republican.  Can they try any harder to appeal to the uneducated, xenophobic southern hicks?!  Seriously why the heck is some duck dynasty bum on stage?  He needs to take a shower.

Middle America likes Duck Dynasty.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »

He's emotional..it probably shows that the GOP is still patriotic.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:28:47 PM »

This entire day has been such a turnoff for any reasonably educated and decent Republican.  Can they try any harder to appeal to the uneducated, xenophobic southern hicks?!  Seriously why the heck is some duck dynasty bum on stage?  He needs to take a shower.

Here's a solution if you want to stop being embarrassed (justifiably so):

If people like me leave the party, that just gives them even more power.

The party has already left you, friend. What we are seeing this week is the Republican Party. Its biggest factions are now Trumpites and Cruzians—if you're okay with that reality, stay. But moderates aren't going anywhere among the GOP's ranks. Not anymore.

The Democrats have issues with moderates too...white centrists like Joe Manchin are being marginalized.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:29:09 PM »

She lost her child.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »

Hopefully this convention helps Americans realize the stakes of this election. This party is unhinged.

Both parties are crazy. The Democrats have issues with law enforcement.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »

Hopefully this convention helps Americans realize the stakes of this election. This party is unhinged.

Both parties are crazy. The Democrats have issues with law enforcement.

False equivalence

You have a party that has groups embracing Black Lives Matter.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:36:26 PM »

I don't believe I've actually used this word yet during the 2016, but this is just fascism. Plain and simple.

It's scary. The crowd is scary. The words people are saying are scary.

All I've heard is basically a thin defense of why we should deliberately ignore the words of black people and, in fact, push back. What is this disgusting bullsh-t that America has become?

It may be scary, but it's tough talk. The Democratic Party is seen as the party of anarchy and urban unrest. They're embracing Black Lives Matter, which tactics are disappointing.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:18 PM »

I don't believe I've actually used this word yet during the 2016, but this is just fascism. Plain and simple.

All I've heard is basically a thin defense of why we should deliberately ignore the words of black people and, in fact, push back. What is this disgusting bullsh-t that America has become?

I've been using the word for a while to describe the state of affairs in the republican party. Its just getting to be very very obvious at this point.

Really, as a country we have a choice between something similar to what we got right now, or throwing your heads into the woodchipper by giving into these yahoos.

Yes, the GOP is crazy, but the Democrats are crazy too. Both parties are crazy. You have a party that embraces the Black Lives Matter movement. Both parties are crazy.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »

I've been using the word for a while to describe the state of affairs in the republican party. Its just getting to be very very obvious at this point.

Really, as a country we have a choice between something similar to what we got right now, or throwing your heads into the woodchipper by giving into these yahoos.

Yes, the GOP is crazy, but the Democrats are crazy too. Both parties are crazy. You have a party that embraces the Black Lives Matter movement. Both parties are crazy.

Neither party does.

Um..the Democratic Party kind of does. They have Trayvon Martin's mother speaking next week. It shows that they are embracing the movement.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »

Giuliani's a little bit nuts.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:09 PM »

Go Giuliani Go! He's tough tonight.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »

Giuliani is a tough man. He's very tough.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 09:33:43 PM »

This is a terrible speech by a candidate's spouse. Bill Clinton's speech will make this mess look like jabberwocky.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »

Oh piss off. She still lost her son.

No what pisses me off, is not that she is emotional regarding the death of her son in Libya.

What *does* piss me off is that the RNC in an attempt to "slime" Hillary Clinton regarding Libya/Benghazi that there appears to be a completely blind eye when it comes to the death of Americans in Iraq.

I lost a good friend in Iraq, assigned to the Oregon National Guard, who died in combat outside of Taji/Camp Cooke at the hands of a roadside bomb and decisions made by the Bush Administration, not only to go into Iraq, but additionally to use "stop-loss" and not provide uparmored Humvees...

It sickens me that the RNC decided to use this mother's grief to make political points against Hillary Clinton, while not even addressing the real grief that families and friends of those who have fallen in Iraq in order to try to score cheap political points.

If anyone is interested, here is a tribute to my friend from Corvallis/Albany who served his country and died in Iraq, despite his personal reservations about the merits of the mission.

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-spc-eric-s-mckinley/263041

So none of the "chicken-hawks" out there even felt a need to respond to my post, let alone Atlas "Liberal Democrats"....

Sad day for America and the forum when we have multiple pages of discussion regarding a grieving mother who lost a child in Libya, but no interest or even comments regarding the loss of my friend in Iraq.

I tried to answer, but I keep getting knocked-out of the site, or the site keeps locking-up (very busy time).
I wanted to say "sorry for your loss."
But don't feel that people are intentionally ignoring your post, it's just that there are so many posts, that one post after another, gets buried very quickly.

Thank You, Proud Moderate..... very much appreciate your kind comments and response.

My one and only issue is the hypocrisy when it comes to the way in which certain political parties frame military service and patriotism, whereby certain stories are forgotten in two of the largest wars in recent American history ( Iraq & Afghanistan), but yet one political party brings out a grieving mother, while neglecting so many other grieving military families over these past 15 years.

There used to be a time of decency and respect where those that died in the service of our country (Mission right or wrong) were all viewed as heroes and not used as political pawns.

Although I am not from a military family, have four Vietnam era friends, my son-in-law as USMC based out of Camp Pendleton was two weeks away from being deployed to Afghanistan in 2010, but the vaccine injection sent him to the ER into a coma, and he is now on permanent disability as a result.

Reality is that those of military friends and families do need to stick together, and it makes me sick to my stomach when I hear politicians (Of both political parties) claim that they speak and represent how enlisted men and women actually think.

Hopefully, the DNC will actually tell a better story that provides greater honor and respect for those that have served and died in the wars overseas over the past 16 years....

It's because the Democratic Party always attacks the military families and the military in general. ...there's a reason why people view the GOP as "strong on defense".
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »

This is actually disgusting. Appeals to the worst of humankind.

Yes, it is disgusting. However, we don't know what we'll see next week at the DNC. Will they attack police officers? We don't know. Both parties are crazy.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »

No what pisses me off, is not that she is emotional regarding the death of her son in Libya.

What *does* piss me off is that the RNC in an attempt to "slime" Hillary Clinton regarding Libya/Benghazi that there appears to be a completely blind eye when it comes to the death of Americans in Iraq.

I lost a good friend in Iraq, assigned to the Oregon National Guard, who died in combat outside of Taji/Camp Cooke at the hands of a roadside bomb and decisions made by the Bush Administration, not only to go into Iraq, but additionally to use "stop-loss" and not provide uparmored Humvees...

It sickens me that the RNC decided to use this mother's grief to make political points against Hillary Clinton, while not even addressing the real grief that families and friends of those who have fallen in Iraq in order to try to score cheap political points.

If anyone is interested, here is a tribute to my friend from Corvallis/Albany who served his country and died in Iraq, despite his personal reservations about the merits of the mission.

So none of the "chicken-hawks" out there even felt a need to respond to my post, let alone Atlas "Liberal Democrats"....

Sad day for America and the forum when we have multiple pages of discussion regarding a grieving mother who lost a child in Libya, but no interest or even comments regarding the loss of my friend in Iraq.

I tried to answer, but I keep getting knocked-out of the site, or the site keeps locking-up (very busy time).
But don't feel that people are intentionally ignoring your post, it's just that there are so many posts, that one post after another, gets buried very quickly.

Thank You, Proud Moderate..... very much appreciate your kind comments and response.

My one and only issue is the hypocrisy when it comes to the way in which certain political parties frame military service and patriotism, whereby certain stories are forgotten in two of the largest wars in recent American history ( Iraq & Afghanistan), but yet one political party brings out a grieving mother, while neglecting so many other grieving military families over these past 15 years.

There used to be a time of decency and respect where those that died in the service of our country (Mission right or wrong) were all viewed as heroes and not used as political pawns.

Although I am not from a military family, have four Vietnam era friends, my son-in-law as USMC based out of Camp Pendleton was two weeks away from being deployed to Afghanistan in 2010, but the vaccine injection sent him to the ER into a coma, and he is now on permanent disability as a result.

Reality is that those of military friends and families do need to stick together, and it makes me sick to my stomach when I hear politicians (Of both political parties) claim that they speak and represent how enlisted men and women actually think.

Hopefully, the DNC will actually tell a better story that provides greater honor and respect for those that have served and died in the wars overseas over the past 16 years....

It's because the Democratic Party always attacks the military families and the military in general. ...there's a reason why people view the GOP as "strong on defense".

Oh you are so full of malarkey.
It was trump who has no respect for former troops that have been "captured" (like McCain).
turmp's direct words, not mine.

I'm not a Republican, by the way. I'm a Independent. The Democratic Party next week will have to show the nation that they care about our veterans, our military, and even law enforcement. Right now, they don't, with the comments of President Obama, Ash Carter, and even Hillary Clinton.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

This is actually disgusting. Appeals to the worst of humankind.

Yes, it is disgusting. However, we don't know what we'll see next week at the DNC. Will they attack police officers? We don't know. Both parties are crazy.

You would have to actually be an idiot to believe the Democrats and the Republicans are on the same level of crazy.

The Democrats are embracing Black Lives Matter. That's pretty crazy. I supported them before, but after what happened the past week, they're looking like a national liability.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 10:33:23 PM »

Am extremely confused... none of my Senators nor any state Reps have ever attacked "military families nor the military in general".

In fact, veterans and families of veterans have gotten the shaft since coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan (Not sure if you are old enough to remember Walter Reed).

I have to assume you are either trolling or to young to remember, but one of the major issue that the Republican Party has had for the past ten years in public polling is that the Democratic Party has consistently polled significantly higher on foreign policy issues than the Republican Party ever since public opinion went deep south on the Iraq war around '06 and '07.

Please post something once you are out of high-school or junior college and we can talk about war and peace in American politics....

I have to go to bed. We'll discuss this later.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 07:26:48 PM »

The GOP looks unprepared with this convention.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »

Anyone else feel like the GOP just wants to be the opposition party?

They probably do, but the Democrats will have their work cut out for them with the military issues.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »

McConnell is slamming Clinton tonight.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 08:30:55 PM »

Ryan is giving a tough speech. Some points he is right on. A lot of people are trapped in poverty and welfare mentality. It's not right for America. It's shameful and disgusting.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »

Christie is tough tonight. Very, very tough.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies