Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:49:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 100224 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 18, 2016, 07:10:06 PM »

This entire day has been such a turnoff for any reasonably educated and decent Republican.  Can they try any harder to appeal to the uneducated, xenophobic southern hicks?!  Seriously why the heck is some duck dynasty bum on stage?  He needs to take a shower.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »

As a religious person, the constant God shout outs are even grating on me
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:19:58 PM »

This entire day has been such a turnoff for any reasonably educated and decent Republican.  Can they try any harder to appeal to the uneducated, xenophobic southern hicks?!  Seriously why the heck is some duck dynasty bum on stage?  He needs to take a shower.

Here's a solution if you want to stop being embarrassed (justifiably so):

If people like me leave the party, that just gives them even more power.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 12:06:24 AM »

Wow, I just got back and watched a bit of what I missed today, and... all I can say is that I can't believe how far the Republican Party has fallen. I used to just disagree with most of what was said at Republican National Conventions, but this one is turning into a complete train wreck. At least Republicans in 2008/2012 sometimes proposed ideas, rather than repeating empty platitudes, and assuming that saying that Hillary Clinton is a crooked vile demon liar millions of times makes it more true.

NeverTrumpers, I feel for you guys, I really do. I get that you don't feel at home in the Democratic Party (well, most of you Wink ) and you'd feel irrelevant in the Libertarian Party or if you simply became an Independent. I hope that you guys will be louder voices in your party after November, and try to bring back civil discourse. The Republican Party I saw today will only ever hold this country back, and resist progress at any cost.

Even though I'm a Democrat, I recognize that this country won't function with just one party. With a Republican Party as dysfunctional and anti-intellectual as the one we saw today, we're going to have trouble getting anything done. I hope that more level-headed Republicans can try to fight this.

Thank you, I agree with everything you say.  It's really shocking that this is the same party from even 4 or 2 years ago.  It's been completely hijacked by the anti-intelligence brigade.  We need a functional 2 party system that is based around idealogy, not race.  The most disturbing part of it all it that we are turning into "The White Party" which is not good for anyone in this country.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:33 AM »

Wow, I just got back and watched a bit of what I missed today, and... all I can say is that I can't believe how far the Republican Party has fallen. I used to just disagree with most of what was said at Republican National Conventions, but this one is turning into a complete train wreck. At least Republicans in 2008/2012 sometimes proposed ideas, rather than repeating empty platitudes, and assuming that saying that Hillary Clinton is a crooked vile demon liar millions of times makes it more true.

NeverTrumpers, I feel for you guys, I really do. I get that you don't feel at home in the Democratic Party (well, most of you Wink ) and you'd feel irrelevant in the Libertarian Party or if you simply became an Independent. I hope that you guys will be louder voices in your party after November, and try to bring back civil discourse. The Republican Party I saw today will only ever hold this country back, and resist progress at any cost.

Even though I'm a Democrat, I recognize that this country won't function with just one party. With a Republican Party as dysfunctional and anti-intellectual as the one we saw today, we're going to have trouble getting anything done. I hope that more level-headed Republicans can try to fight this.

Thank you, I agree with everything you say.  It's really shocking that this is the same party from even 4 or 2 years ago.  It's been completely hijacked by the anti-intelligence brigade.  We need a functional 2 party system that is based around idealogy, not race.  The most disturbing part of it all it that we are turning into "The White Party" which is not good for anyone in this country.

The GOP has been like this for the past 14 years, Trump disturbed the hornets nest and brought them all to the light. This is not new.

No, that wasn't the party of George Bush in 2004.  We were making real progress.  It was a very different message back then.  Things went off the rails starting in 2008 and have only gotten worse.  You were a Republican up until recently so please stop pretending like they were awful all along. You wont win any more Brownie points with the democrats on here for it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:26:01 PM by Brown Line »

Ingraham is such a gross joke.

Plus, I am dead tired of anyone referencing Ronald fing Reagan 28 years after his mediocre/bad Presidency came to a near disgraceful end.

Dude, Reagan won in epic landslides. Obama didn't even accomplish that.

Doesnt mean he wasnt a mediocore president

Do you think Nixon was a great president by that standard?

You can have your opinion, but he's generally regarded one of the best Presidents in history when polls are taken.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/02/16/new-ranking-of-u-s-presidents-puts-lincoln-1-obama-18-kennedy-judged-most-over-rated/

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145064/Kennedy-Highest-Rated-Modern-President-Nixon-Lowest.aspx
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »

Ingraham is such a gross joke.

Plus, I am dead tired of anyone referencing Ronald fing Reagan 28 years after his mediocre/bad Presidency came to a near disgraceful end.

Dude, Reagan won in epic landslides. Obama didn't even accomplish that.

Doesnt mean he wasnt a mediocore president

Do you think Nixon was a great president by that standard?

You can have your opinion, but he's generally regarded one of the best Presidents in history when polls are taken.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/02/16/new-ranking-of-u-s-presidents-puts-lincoln-1-obama-18-kennedy-judged-most-over-rated/

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145064/Kennedy-Highest-Rated-Modern-President-Nixon-Lowest.aspx

The Washington Post ranking, by historical scholars, lists Clinton higher than Reagan. The Gallup poll, of just the general population, has Clinton right next to Reagan and ranked at number 3. What are your thoughts on that?

I don't mean that in a biting way. I'm sincerely curious.

I think Clinton was a good President as well.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 07:31:48 PM »

Based off of Trump's leaked script, he's offically backed off the ban on all Muslims.  He specifically mentions banning immigration from "countries infiltrated by terrorism".  His free trade rhetoric is also more tame.  He says he will negotiate individual deals with each nation.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »

Wow. Did he look really wound up to you? Almost coked up? I was really looking forward to that speech but he spoke so fast... he even walked really really fast.

Im sure he was very nervous.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »

^what he said
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:10:40 PM »

LOL, no one is "colorblind and gender-neutral," no matter how hard they try.

What do you want her to say, the opposite?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 09:12:51 PM »

If Ivanka was the one running for President she would be winning in a landslide.  Is it too late to change?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 09:14:20 PM »

The Progressive Republican Party!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 09:21:51 PM »

Aaaaaand he's talking about votes again......
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 09:23:46 PM »

It's like back to the 90's with this speech.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »

That jump from immigration to the economy reminded me of Sarah Palins infamous Couric interview.  Bad transition.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »

what was the crowd chanting there??
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »

Indiana is only prosperous because they focus on stealing all of Illinois' jobs.  Its treacherous.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 09:58:45 PM »

Donald J Trump: Gay Rights Icon
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies