Criminal Justice Reform Congressional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:18:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Criminal Justice Reform Congressional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Criminal Justice Reform Congressional Committee  (Read 714 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2016, 11:44:37 AM by Labor Whip and Representative NeverAgain »

Welcome to the Criminal Justice Reform Committee!

Committee Members:
NeverAgain (Lab-VA)
Tmthforu94 (Fed-KS)
JCL (Fed-IN)
Blair (Lab-NY)

Members, Please Sign In!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »

Signing in

X Tmthforu94
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »

x NeverAgain
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:16:20 PM »

X Blair
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »

I know you're just getting started, but I'd like to ask to brief the committee on the current Federal criminal justice structure once you're established.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »

I know you're just getting started, but I'd like to ask to brief the committee on the current Federal criminal justice structure once you're established.

That would be brilliant; I've got a working knowledge but I think criminal Justice is a subject made more complex due to the nature of policing being mostly state, and local.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 10:56:43 PM »

3 of our 4 members have signed in. I nominated NeverAgain to serve as chair.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »

3 of our 4 members have signed in. I nominated NeverAgain to serve as chair.

I accept the nomination.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »

I would like to get this started, so if no one has any other objections, I will chair this committee.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »

No objections, lets get this rolling!

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 05:03:20 PM »

First, I'd like to call on Justice Dereich for a testimony regarding the current state of our Criminal Justice System.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 10:13:24 PM »

JCL

I challenge NeverAgain's nomination.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »

Ugh. 3/4 of the Committee seems to support me as the chair, plus it is an honorary position, I hold no real power. If you seriously want to delay progress for 48 hours on a committee of four people, then fine. But that's wasting 48 hours to have the same result.

I don't really care about whose chair or not, I just would like to start this committee after a week of getting little done. If you want to put another burden on that, then that's your choice.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »

Are we really going to do this JCL?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 05:07:45 PM »

No. We're not. At the risk of being a liebrul fascist, I am going to take control of this committee... As part of that, I am against people trying to stall this committee's work and progress. If we all want to hop on board and start progress, you are welcome.

With that I will be PMing Justice Dereich to give us the status of our Criminal Justice system, so that we can draft up a couple of reforms to focus on.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »

I'm objecting on three basis to NeverAgain's being the chair.

There was no vote for chair.

The chair was closed for challenge within half an hour of NeverAgain declared for the position.

NeverAgain is a member of the minority party. IRL United States Congress, the majority party holds the chairmanships of the house/senate committees. I believe it's reasonable that it should be the same here.

So yes NeverAgain, we are doing this.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 07:25:42 PM »

... 48 Hour Vote...

Chair Vote:
NeverAgain [ ]
JCL [ ]
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »

The chair was closed for challenge within half an hour of NeverAgain declared for the position.

NeverAgain is a member of the minority party. IRL United States Congress, the majority party holds the chairmanships of the house/senate committees. I believe it's reasonable that it should be the same here.

1. It was agreed to by the majority of the committee.

2. See above and for Christ's sake IT IS A COMMITTEE OF FOUR PEOPLE

3. That's stupid, especially with the amount of people we have. IRL Chairs have a more partisan position. I don't want to be this because I am a power-hungry leftist, I seek this because this topic is VERY important to me and I want to make some damn progress on this committee.

I just do not see why at every turn in both here and at the Gun Reform Committee, you seek to make a huge deal out of the process of which the chair is created. The only committee making progress is the Healthcare committee, THE ONE WITH AN ACTUAL CHAIR WHO HAPPENS TO BE A LEFTIST!

(Also Tmth, I will have a budget all set and dandy for you when I get back from the DNC, this camp is a nightmare though)

If you have an objection, fine. But it is obvious that what you are doing is acting in a partisan position so you (or others who don't even want the position) can take control of NON-PARTISAN committees.

Okay, you have your vote now. Knock yourself out for 2 days.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »

The purpose of these committees are to generate discussion and ideas for legislation. Members of this committee can wind up introducing conservative and liberal bills - there is no requirement that we all have to come to a consensus for something to be introduced.

With committee chairs, it is important that we have individuals who are active and can move the discussion along. NeverAgain has been the most active representative this cycle and has also contributed the most. It was his idea to start this committee and I know he has specific plans on how to lead it.

Chair Vote:
NeverAgain [X]
JCL [ ]
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »

1. It was agreed to by the majority of the committee.

2. See above and for Christ's sake IT IS A COMMITTEE OF FOUR PEOPLE

3. That's stupid, especially with the amount of people we have. IRL Chairs have a more partisan position. I don't want to be this because I am a power-hungry leftist, I seek this because this topic is VERY important to me and I want to make some damn progress on this committee.

I just do not see why at every turn in both here and at the Gun Reform Committee, you seek to make a huge deal out of the process of which the chair is created. The only committee making progress is the Healthcare committee, THE ONE WITH AN ACTUAL CHAIR WHO HAPPENS TO BE A LEFTIST!

(Also Tmth, I will have a budget all set and dandy for you when I get back from the DNC, this camp is a nightmare though)

If you have an objection, fine. But it is obvious that what you are doing is acting in a partisan position so you (or others who don't even want the position) can take control of NON-PARTISAN committees.

Okay, you have your vote now. Knock yourself out for 2 days.

Why not have it a little more like RL? You've already won because you got my fellow federalist to vote for you by reason only known to himself. Shouldn't elections have consequences? Shouldn't there be incentives to win elections? By having a Labor chair when the Federalists hold majority in both houses it wrongly hampers the power and influence of the party in power. I could understand if we had divided government and would advocate such compromise. However, we have one party in a governing majority in both chambers.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »

• Never Again

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 01:27:08 AM »

I would hope that committees would seek to write legislation that would pass in a Federalist Congress and be signed by a Federalist President--if they pass the Laborite agenda in areas where our views do not overlap (since my ideology is, obviously, not simply opposing Labor on everything) it will either fail in Congress or I will veto it. No one in these committees wants to waste their time by pumping out veto fodder.

Anyway, I hope to see some quality legislation come out of this Committee regarding this very important issue.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 08:42:31 AM »

I would hope that committees would seek to write legislation that would pass in a Federalist Congress and be signed by a Federalist President--if they pass the Laborite agenda in areas where our views do not overlap (since my ideology is, obviously, not simply opposing Labor on everything) it will either fail in Congress or I will veto it. No one in these committees wants to waste their time by pumping out veto fodder.

Anyway, I hope to see some quality legislation come out of this Committee regarding this very important issue.

Thanks for this, Mr. President. I completely agree. I also wanted to say that from the beginning, my goal is that all legislation passed by the committees I serve in will get unanimous approval from all members.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »

The Vote is 2-0. With NeverAgain and JCL not voting. NeverAgain is elected chair.

Okay. Ready to start some progress all?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »

What's happening with this folks?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: