Hillary Clinton: Joining A Gang Is Like Having A Family
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:43:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary Clinton: Joining A Gang Is Like Having A Family
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton: Joining A Gang Is Like Having A Family  (Read 2697 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 02:05:14 AM »

I think what's being applied here is perception that Hillary/the left framing the conversation of gangs as an alternative to family.  By saying "Joining A Gang Is Like Having A Family" is really making seem as if its justified.  Gangs like(cripps,bloods) claim the same "family" banner , yet they are really just criminal enterprises that take advantage of the weak that ironically come from broken family structure.   This isn't like the mafia of the 1970s -1980s either.

Of course the white liberal left could careless because more black men in gangs means more inner city crime and democratic votes.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 02:22:12 AM »

Right gangs make the world so much safer for women right?  At least she didn't plagiarize a speech or foot tap in a bathroom stall.  Mitt Romney couldn't even give his dog a bath without a 10 minute smear from the mainstream media yet Clinton gets away with supporting gangs and not protecting information that would've saved many lives.

That is not how analogies work.  Analogies do not imply that the things being compared are identical in every way.  You must know that, being a human being who's competent enough to start up a computer and login to an internet forum.

Presidential years here are the worst.

Gangs don't make the world safer for women.  You're right though joining a gang would be worse than giving a dog a bath or foot tapping in a stall especially when you just can't get it to come out. So perhaps what she implied was worse.  Below I read the argument that she implied those who join gangs are looking to make up for the lack of a family.  That's very true but doesn't get explained in a 30 second ad the way her sentence does.  You're also right about election years being more partisan.  I think you said that's the case here as I'm sure is the case everywhere.  In politics you get taken out of context.  Mitt Romney said "I like being able to fire people" but only in the context of firing those who provide poor healthcare services.  He was simply saying that we should have the right to choose our doctors and insurers.  This is unfortunate but I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't enjoy it on some level and I believe it's the same for you?  This site seems pretty good so far.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 05:24:09 AM »

I think what's being applied here is perception that Hillary/the left framing the conversation of gangs as an alternative to family.  By saying "Joining A Gang Is Like Having A Family" is really making seem as if its justified.  Gangs like(cripps,bloods) claim the same "family" banner , yet they are really just criminal enterprises that take advantage of the weak that ironically come from broken family structure.   This isn't like the mafia of the 1970s -1980s either.

Of course the white liberal left could careless because more black men in gangs means more inner city crime and democratic votes.

No, that is not THEIR framing. That's YOUR framing. She was observing a trivial fact - people pick gangs as an alternative to family. Understanding peoples' motivations is important if you actually care about addressing it. Do you?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2016, 06:31:05 AM »

No, that is not THEIR framing. That's YOUR framing. She was observing a trivial fact - people pick gangs as an alternative to family. Understanding peoples' motivations is important if you actually care about addressing it. Do you?

I think that's something the black community should ask itself.     
Mr. Jew
Roger Waters
Rookie

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 06:46:17 AM »

This thread is like arguing that it's wrong to say heroin feels good, because feeling good has a positive connotation.

Yes.

As one who has tried heroin before (WORD OF WARNING: DO NOT EFFING TRY IT.  EVER.) I can definitely attest that it does indeed feel good.  Luckily after that one time I had enough willpower to say "sh*it, this was a bad idea."

Really statements like the OP's just demonstrates how amazingly ignorant conservatives are.  They also seem to think that racism was defeated in 1964, or at least it was reversed now days with blacks doing it against whites.  They don't understand, probably because their mommy, poppy, and underfunded public school teachers taught them that Indian Removal was a necessary evil and that racism happened only to black people in the 19th century and that was horrible, m'kay?  Many of them aren't even aware that there was a lot of bigotry and prejudice against groups like the Italians, the Jews, Germans, and even the freaking Irish earlier in US History, such prejudices manifesting themselves largely among conservative white protestants who were disturbed that their nation was being taken over by lower class beer drinking minorities (sound familiar?).  Those that do know about such things get even more retarded and tout "see!  EVEN WHITE PEOPLE HAD IT HARD~!  WHITE RACISM WAS REALLL!!!!! BLACK PEOPLE NEED TO SHUT UP!" or what not.

It's like they won't even listen to other points.  I bet if they encountered such obstinance from their boss at work they wouldn't be huge fans of this kind of thinking.
Mr. Jew
Roger Waters
Rookie

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »

So if this is how you react to Hillary's comment on gangs...how do you react to Trump's comments on "the blacks?"

Or "the gays?"

Or how Mexicans are rapists and murderers?

Or how he might consider a forced government registration of all Muslims in the country?

Or how he WILL order torture on prisoners of war?  Oh, and how he'll order the murders of the innocent family members of our enemies (including children, infants, women, the elderly)?

If this was a Trump quote, you'd have no problem with it.

Just like Trump supporters have no problem with Trump's infidelities, his three marriages, the accusations against him of rape...yet ridicule Bill Clinton for doing more or less the same things (though I don't recall any allegations of raping a 13 year old girl against Bill).

As one former Republican, and current Republican-leaning independent, I have to say: get your head out of your a$$. Donald Trump has you (and the GOP) completely fooled. It's going to end in the party's defeat in November, and permanent downfall. Way to go.

Your party survived demonizing the Irish, Italians, Polish, Jews, and Germans.  I doubt that this election cycle will doom you people.  All they will have to do is wait four or two years before some sort of Democratic scandal (it will happen) and claim to be "the party of reform~!"

That's at least what they have been doing in every midterm sans a Republican president.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2016, 07:17:55 AM »

You prioritize being racist over being constructive. What a shocker.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2016, 07:47:24 AM »

Technically this is a conservative viewpoint, really. Many young men seek substitutes for absent fathers and male authority figures more generally, as a result of the broken black family. Conservatives have seized upon this since the Moynihan Report, whereas liberals today are more likely to deny the importance of the nuclear family and claim there's nothing wrong with the phenomenon of single motherhood or that its generally understood negative impacts are merely correlates actually caused by income inequality, structural racism, and so forth.

This is a throwback to 90s Clintonism, if anything. Not that I'm complaining!
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2016, 08:37:53 AM »

How could you imply that I'm racist?     I stated a fact, the black community glorifies gangbanging behavior and allows cooperate white America(yeah the ones who actually  own record companies, black media etc..) to pigeonhole them into that lifestyle.  You're right  it's a bigger picture in what Hillary was attempting to say, however democratic liberal policymaking isn't the answer.    50 years blacks have voted 85-90 % the left , but now complain about their standing in America?   Give me a break.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »

How could you imply that I'm racist? (proceeds to spout a stream of racist nonsense)

hmm
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »

And sometimes having a family is like joining a gang:

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:39 AM »

Duh. Take a criminology course.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »

Stupendous backfire on your thread, Seriously?.
I expect nothing less from a bunch of kool-aid drinking leftists. But there should be some counter to the 1,000 Donald Trump is Satan posts I see daily on here.

Hillary! thinks gangs are like a family... A gun toting family that kills people and advocates illegal activity. Lovely. No. They are criminals.

And what can we thank for that? Decades of Democrat social engineering to break down the familial unit. And the liberal solution? More money thrown at the problem while at the same time you tear down the fabric of solutions like the boy scouts by attempting more social engineering. Ah... Liberals.

This is hands down one of the most grotesquely daft understandings of the cause for the social dysfunctions experienced within the black community I've ever heard, "Detroit is bankrupt due to liberal policies" Ted Cruz level off the mark. You've substituted pure partisan hackery for reasoned analysis of the complex mechanics that are responsible for societal ills plaguing minority communities.

I'd be more wary of accusing others of drinking the Kool-aid. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, as they say.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »

How could you imply that I'm racist?

You imply the black community isn't asking itself a lot of questions and addressing problems?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://abc7.com/news/anti-gang-summit-held-in-south-la-in-effort-to-create-unity-w--police/1431378/
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2016, 03:53:25 PM »

Stupendous backfire on your thread, Seriously?.
I expect nothing less from a bunch of kool-aid drinking leftists. But there should be some counter to the 1,000 Donald Trump is Satan posts I see daily on here.

Hillary! thinks gangs are like a family... A gun toting family that kills people and advocates illegal activity. Lovely. No. They are criminals.

And what can we thank for that? Decades of Democrat social engineering to break down the familial unit. And the liberal solution? More money thrown at the problem while at the same time you tear down the fabric of solutions like the boy scouts by attempting more social engineering. Ah... Liberals.

This is hands down one of the most grotesquely daft understandings of the cause for the social dysfunctions experienced within the black community I've ever heard, "Detroit is bankrupt due to liberal policies" Ted Cruz level off the mark. You've substituted pure partisan hackery for reasoned analysis of the complex mechanics that are responsible for societal ills plaguing minority communities.

I'd be more wary of accusing others of drinking the Kool-aid. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, as they say.
Please point out where I've made the logical leap to gangs = solely black people anywhere in that particular quote.

There are plenty of Hispanic and white gangs out there as well that wreak havoc upon our society. Go ask Rahm Emanuel. The highly gun-regulated city of Chicago is chock full of gangs from every racial group.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2016, 05:25:04 PM »

This thread gave me cancer.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2016, 01:12:31 AM »

I stated a fact, the black community glorifies gangbanging behavior and allows cooperate white America(yeah the ones who actually  own record companies, black media etc..) to pigeonhole them into that lifestyle.  You're right  it's a bigger picture in what Hillary was attempting to say, however democratic liberal policymaking isn't the answer.    50 years blacks have voted 85-90 % the left , but now complain about their standing in America?   Give me a break.

Because every single thing you said after that phrase is grossly racist, as in grossly 2+2=5 factually incorrect based on a demonstratively racist outlook.

Truth is, you don't know F$%k about "the black community" except what you see on Fox News and hear on Stormfront-lite websites.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2016, 01:59:48 AM »

I stated a fact, the black community glorifies gangbanging behavior and allows cooperate white America(yeah the ones who actually  own record companies, black media etc..) to pigeonhole them into that lifestyle.  You're right  it's a bigger picture in what Hillary was attempting to say, however democratic liberal policymaking isn't the answer.    50 years blacks have voted 85-90 % the left , but now complain about their standing in America?   Give me a break.

Because every single thing you said after that phrase is grossly racist, as in grossly 2+2=5 factually incorrect based on a demonstratively racist outlook.

Truth is, you don't know F$%k about "the black community" except what you see on Fox News and hear on Stormfront-lite websites.

Yo, Badger do your research before making claims and allegations.  I'm 10x more qualified then you will ever be to speak for the black community and its issues. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2016, 02:39:18 AM »

Right gangs make the world so much safer for women right?  At least she didn't plagiarize a speech or foot tap in a bathroom stall.  Mitt Romney couldn't even give his dog a bath without a 10 minute smear from the mainstream media yet Clinton gets away with supporting gangs and not protecting information that would've saved many lives.

That is not how analogies work.  Analogies do not imply that the things being compared are identical in every way.  You must know that, being a human being who's competent enough to start up a computer and login to an internet forum.

Presidential years here are the worst.

Gangs don't make the world safer for women.  You're right though joining a gang would be worse than giving a dog a bath or foot tapping in a stall especially when you just can't get it to come out. So perhaps what she implied was worse.  Below I read the argument that she implied those who join gangs are looking to make up for the lack of a family.  That's very true but doesn't get explained in a 30 second ad the way her sentence does.  You're also right about election years being more partisan.  I think you said that's the case here as I'm sure is the case everywhere.  In politics you get taken out of context.  Mitt Romney said "I like being able to fire people" but only in the context of firing those who provide poor healthcare services.  He was simply saying that we should have the right to choose our doctors and insurers.  This is unfortunate but I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't enjoy it on some level and I believe it's the same for you?  This site seems pretty good so far.

Me: "Analogies do not imply that the things being compared are identical in every way."

You: "Well, gangs aren't alike families in this other way, either!  Also, I'm going to assume that Hillary Clinton was implying positive things about gangs, because families have positive traits."

That is how I just said analogies don't work. 

Analogies do not "imply" two things are alike in all ways.  If the two things were completely alike, it would no longer be an analogy.  Analogies claim two things are alike in some specific, meaningful aspect(s).  That is what Clinton did: claim that gangs provide some of the support structure that families do. 

You're logically incorrect to say she's "implying" that gangs are good.  She wasn't "implying" anything positive or unreasonable.  Because of that, I don't think you have much justification to say her conduct was worse than Larry Craig's or Romney's.  (To be clear, I'm not passing judgment on Craig or Romney's conduct...I'm just saying Clinton didn't say anything objectionable, so this is unfounded.)  [Also I'm not really sure who got in trouble for "washing a dog" so I'm just guessing Romney.]

Welcome to the forum, though!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2016, 03:09:08 AM »

This thread is like arguing that it's wrong to say heroin feels good, because feeling good has a positive connotation.

It's a line of thinking that is basically the definition of political correctness.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2016, 03:15:02 AM »

It's a line of thinking that is basically the definition of political correctness.

The fact that this line of thinking was initially brought by Seriously? is even more damning to his constant anti-PC rants.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2016, 03:45:27 AM »

The fact that this line of thinking was initially brought by Seriously? is even more damning to his constant anti-PC rants.

Word to both
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies