NMEA: We will not cease our struggle for a more centralized Northern Capital
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:52:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NMEA: We will not cease our struggle for a more centralized Northern Capital
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NMEA: We will not cease our struggle for a more centralized Northern Capital  (Read 2583 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:58:38 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2016, 07:33:45 PM by Gass3268 »

Chicago, Illinois, Northern Region

As evident with the recent vote by the Northern Regional Committee to make New York City the regional capital, there seems to be a lack of respect and understanding for Northerners that do not live on the eastern seaboard.

That is why there needs to be a non-partisan group of former Mideastern Northerners to make sure that our interests are represented in the new regional government. That is why I have decided to establish the Northern Mideastern Alliance by NMEA.

NMEA welcomes all Northerners who live in the former Mideastern States (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin) and those who don't, but believe that Mideasterners deserve to have our interests and priorities placed on an equal level of those in the East.

Party label does not matter. NMEA invites Federalists, Laborites, Independents, and members of other parties to join our organization. If you care about the Mideastern North, NMEA welcomes you.

The first goal of the NMEA will be to move the regional capital to a more centralized location in the North that will be easily accessible to both those from the East and the Mideast. New York City is an unacceptable choice for us in the western part of the region. Other goals include a greater representation of the Mideast in regional symbols, equal spending between the two sections of our great region, and educating the regional government on the issues important our area of the region.

I hope that the creation of NMEA will allow for a better understanding between the two major areas in the Northern Region while allowing the entire region to flourish. Together we can create a balanced, fair, and prosperous North. Thank you!  
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:39:38 PM »

Interesting idea. I would join but I've gotta keep something under wraps for a bit. It's kinda big and of a RL personal nature.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »

x evergreen
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:11:38 PM »

x ascott

I strongly support moving the capital to a more central location and I will work to advocate for this cause as a potential legislator.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:15:46 PM »

X Blair

As Senator I represent, serve and dedicate myself to the entire north. I will fight for the economic, and politcal rights of the Mideast
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:51 PM »

I fully support moving the North Region capitol to a central location in the region.

I cannot see why the Assembly would make the decision they did.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 09:27:07 PM »

x cxs018
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:15:20 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2016, 10:16:58 PM by cinyc »

This is rich, considering the capital of the old Mideast was just about as far away from Wisconsin as New York City.

For the record, I voted to put the capital in Pittsburgh, as it is fairly central.  The population center of the North is probably even a bit to the east of Pittsburgh, though.  Moving a capital once it has been created makes little sense.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:44 PM »

Restore the Mideast to active status on its own. Every state not just the ones in the North.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 09:08:37 PM »

If the former Mideast states are not happy and want to form their own region I will respect thier wishes.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 09:54:46 PM by Gass3268 »

As the founder of NMEA, I oppose the current draft constitution for the Northern Region as written and will continue to oppose it until the capital is moved to a more centralized location and there are protections put in place to protect the people of the Mideast.  
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 10:06:29 PM »

Right now I'm trying to work with Truman and the Committee and propose a referendum process that allows voters to nominate cities and vote on them in the referendum IRV-style.  I think this is an acceptable compromise we can look towards if we erase the relevant provision to the proposed Constitution.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »

Right now I'm trying to work with Truman and the Committee and propose a referendum process that allows voters to nominate cities and vote on them in the referendum IRV-style.  I think this is an acceptable compromise we can look towards if we erase the relevant provision to the proposed Constitution.

This would be acceptable if there is also a provision to the Regions Bill of Rights that ensures equality between between the Northeast and Mideast.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »

This would be acceptable if there is also a provision to the Regions Bill of Rights that ensures equality between between the Northeast and Mideast.

Why is that even necessary?  The Bill of Rights already applies to all citizens, regardless of former region.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »

Oh, good Lord.

Look, I fully support moving the seat of government to a more centralized location if that is what the people of the Region want, but this:

As the founder of NMEA, I oppose the current draft constitution for the Northern Region as written and will continue to oppose it until the capital is moved to a more centralized location and there are protections put in place to protect the people of the Mideast. 

is simply absurd. There is an amendment process, you know. We have been working on this Constitution for over a month now - to scrap the entire thing because one sentence is not to your liking is completely irrational.

As for the bizarre suggestion that we might somehow "restore" the Mideast Region: are you people insane? We went over and over this at the ConCon: the game in its current form cannot support four regions without one or more of them lapsing into inactivity. To cleave the North in two would effectively murder both regions and return the game to the unsustainable position it was in a year ago.

The time has come for us to set aside old sectional prejudices and unite as one people. I was as proud as anyone to be a citizen of the Mideast. The months I spent presiding over its legislature remain the happiest of my Atlasian career. But because I love the Mideast, I renounce the fatal hubris that would deny us the fruits and opportunities of this new age. The distinctions between Mideasterners and Northeasterners are no more. I am not a Mideastern man, but a Northerner.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 11:12:10 PM »

I agree with cinyc and Truman. Moving the capital to a more central location is a good idea, but restoring the Mideast is absurd.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 11:16:29 PM »

Oh, good Lord.

Look, I fully support moving the seat of government to a more centralized location if that is what the people of the Region want, but this:

is simply absurd. There is an amendment process, you know. We have been working on this Constitution for over a month now - to scrap the entire thing because one sentence is not to your liking is completely irrational.

As for the bizarre suggestion that we might somehow "restore" the Mideast Region: are you people insane? We went over and over this at the ConCon: the game in its current form cannot support four regions without one or more of them lapsing into inactivity. To cleave the North in two would effectively murder both regions and return the game to the unsustainable position it was in a year ago.

The time has come for us to set aside old sectional prejudices and unite as one people. I was as proud as anyone to be a citizen of the Mideast. The months I spent presiding over its legislature remain the happiest of my Atlasian career. But because I love the Mideast, I renounce the fatal hubris that would deny us the fruits and opportunities of this new age. The distinctions between Mideasterners and Northeasterners are no more. I am not a Mideastern man, but a Northerner.

For the record, I do not support the the restoration of the Mideast and I agree what the Mideast had to bite the bullet in order to boost activity. I just want to make sure that the power base for the region isn't situated between between Boston and Philadelphia, but rather shared from Lake Superior to the Delaware Valley. Even many of the proposed symbols have been seemed to be more Northeastern in nature, leaving out the entire western part of the region. I am sure there is a compromise to be found on many of these issues, but there just did't seem to be much of an effort beforehand.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 01:35:15 AM »

Oh, good Lord.

You are a Mideasterner Truman. I will be for another week or so. There are firm distinctions being borne out within the political and cultural process and many Mideasterners like me do feel alienated when this decision came out. Especially with the fact that other regions had a greater hand in the dissolution of the region. That decision should been ours and ours alone. That's why I opposed consolidation and still do.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »

If this organization stands for obstruction and gridlock, I will be leaving it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »

If this organization stands for obstruction and gridlock, I will be leaving it.

This organization does not stand for either. All we are asking for at this moment is a more centralized capital and a declaration of equality between the two sides of this new region.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 07:33:23 PM »

NMEA is very disappointed with the referendum vote for the Northern Capital. We will continue to fight for a more centralized location.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »

I may've recently moved to the South but I am in solidarity with this group advocating for equity, respect, and a more central capital for the Northern region.

Its decisions like this that further prove that the Mideast should live in todays Atlasia.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »

Because this issue is this important.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »

Please give this a rest.  The committee has spoken, and the people have spoken.  They want the capital to be in the region's largest city, New York.  That's the same thing some U.S. states have done, despite the city not being central - like Boston.  Besides, the capital of the old Mideast was in Maryland, despite not being central to its population.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 06:38:36 PM »

Please give this a rest.  The committee has spoken, and the people have spoken.  They want the capital to be in the region's largest city, New York.  That's the same thing some U.S. states have done, despite the city not being central - like Boston.  Besides, the capital of the old Mideast was in Maryland, despite not being central to its population.

It wasn't a majority vote. Thus it should be contested via referendum between the two highest vote getting cities. NYC and Pittsburgh.

This isn't over. The citizens of the former Mideast deserve equity and respect in this decision. The coast is getting everything it wants in the merger and the western states of the north got nothing. How is that right? It's not. The Coastal parts need to make concessions so the citizens of the Mideastern states partitioned to the north feel like equal partners in the merger.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies