Prescription Drug Reimportation Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:38:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Prescription Drug Reimportation Act  (Read 3017 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2005, 02:03:34 AM »

As introduced by Sen. MasterJedi:

1. Atlasian trade law shall be amended to allow private citizens to purchase prescription drugs from Canadian retailers and transport them into the United States for private use.

A. Section one shall not apply in cases where the Atlasian citizen does not have a properly
      issued prescription for the drug in question.

2. Drugs reimported from Canada may not be resold in the United States.  Only private non-commercial use is permitted.

A. Violation of Section 2 will result in a penalty of maximum ten years imprisonment and
      a maximum fine of $5,000.

3. No commercial enterprise may purchase drugs in Canada and reimport them.  The privileges are restricted to private citizens who have been prescribed the medication in question.

A. Any commercial enterprise that attempts to reimport drugs into the US will be fined a
     maximum of $50,000 per dosage of drugs they attempt to reimport.

4. No drug may be purchased directly from a drug producer or wholesaler, only from retailers.

I hereby open debate on this bill.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 06:23:36 AM »

You missed my Wetlands Act Gabu. Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 09:01:09 AM »

As a campaigner for trade between Atlasia and the Commonwealth of Australia, I must ask that this bill be amended to exclude Canda and replace it with 'countries approved by the (what's atlasia's version of the pharmaceuticals integrity board?) for importation of prescription drugs yada yada yada...'
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 10:21:58 AM »

As a campaigner for trade between Atlasia and the Commonwealth of Australia, I must ask that this bill be amended to exclude Canda and replace it with 'countries approved by the (what's atlasia's version of the pharmaceuticals integrity board?) for importation of prescription drugs yada yada yada...'

Just for your info, the FDA, or Food and Drug Administration.

My only problem with changing it to that is that it would be the FDA is a beauracracy, and really they've said that they can't gaurantee the safety of any drug brought in from another country. Thus, they won't approve any country. Instead, I would advise the Senate to simply compile a list of countries where medicine should be relatively safe to get(mainly first world) and add them to the bill. May I suggest adding Australia, Japan, Britain, France, <insert most of Europe>, among others.

Also, it might be a good idea to ensure the FDA is not heald liable for any drugs imported, nor should Medicare/Medicaid cover drugs imported from elsewhere.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 11:13:14 AM »

Ok how does this sound to you peoples:

1. Atlasian trade law shall be amended to allow private citizens to purchase prescription drugs from Canadian, Australian, British, Japanese and French retailers and transport them into the United States for private use.

A. Section one shall not apply in cases where the Atlasian citizen does not have a properly

2. Drugs reimported from the countries listed in Section 1 may not be resold in the United States.  Only private non-commercial use is permitted.

A. Violation of Section 2 will result in a penalty of maximum ten years imprisonment and

3. No commercial enterprise may purchase drugs in the countries listed in Section 1 and reimport them.  The privileges are restricted to private citizens who have been prescribed the medication in question.

A. Any commercial enterprise that attempts to reimport drugs into the US will be fined a

4. No drug may be purchased directly from a drug producer or wholesaler, only from retailers.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 03:26:28 PM »

Oops, I guess I saw a bill that said "written by StatesRights" and assumed that that was the one we had already introduced.

I'll get to that one next.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 04:47:57 PM »

Oops, I guess I saw a bill that said "written by StatesRights" and assumed that that was the one we had already introduced.

I'll get to that one next.

Just had to point that out to you so you didn't completly forget about it. Smiley

Anyhoo on to my amendment, comments people?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 02:33:19 PM »

As there has been no debate on MasterJedi's amendment, I hereby open voting on it:

1. Atlasian trade law shall be amended to allow private citizens to purchase prescription drugs from Canadian, Australian, British, Japanese and French retailers and transport them into the United States for private use.

2. Drugs reimported from the countries listed in Section 1 may not be resold in the United States.  Only private non-commercial use is permitted.

3. No commercial enterprise may purchase drugs in the countries listed in Section 1 and reimport them.  The privileges are restricted to private citizens who have been prescribed the medication in question.

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 02:37:13 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »

Aye

And crap I didn't make it in time I was also going to add Germany to that list.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 03:26:04 PM »

Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 03:36:53 PM »

Aye.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 05:25:39 PM »

Aye.

Fwiw, I will also add John Dibble's suggestions in an amendment, after this vote is done.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 05:28:01 PM »

Aye.

Fwiw, I will also add John Dibble's suggestions in an amendment, after this vote is done.

Could you also add another one to add Germany into that list so both are admitted at once and can be voted on at the same time? Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 06:04:33 PM »

Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 07:33:41 PM »

With six votes in favor to none against, this amendment has passed.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 03:11:37 PM »

Aye the hell not?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 10:44:47 PM »

Just for your info, the FDA, or Food and Drug Administration.

My only problem with changing it to that is that it would be the FDA is a beauracracy, and really they've said that they can't gaurantee the safety of any drug brought in from another country. Thus, they won't approve any country. Instead, I would advise the Senate to simply compile a list of countries where medicine should be relatively safe to get(mainly first world) and add them to the bill. May I suggest adding Australia, Japan, Britain, France, <insert most of Europe>, among others.

Also, it might be a good idea to ensure the FDA is not heald liable for any drugs imported, nor should Medicare/Medicaid cover drugs imported from elsewhere.

Alright, I've been thinking of how to make Dibble's suggestions go into law (and he can correct me if he wants to).  I therefore propose this amendment:

5.  The programs in the federal budget, commonly known as "Medicare" and "Medicaid", and any grants or appropriations associated with said programs to assist in the payment of prescription drugs, shall not be used to supplement the payment of prescription drugs imported from foreign countries under the permits allowed by this legislation.

6.  Labels shall be attached to any and all prescription drugs imported into Atlasia and sold by retailers stating that said drugs have been imported from one of the countries listed in Section 1 of this bill, and have not been approved or safeguarded by the Food & Drug Administration for private usage or public sale.

7.  Per the restrictions listed in Section 6 of this bill, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) shall not be liable in any importation, sale, development, purchase, consumption, usage of imported drugs, or in any of the medical, physical or psychological effects of drugs permitted into Atlasia and purchased under the provisions of this bill.

I welcome any suggestions on this, since I really don't know much about this type of legislation and the laws surrounding it.  I'm just making it legally circumspect.

And to add to Masterjedi's suggestion, I propose this second amendment for debate:

Section 1 of this bill shall be amended to read:

Atlasian trade law shall be amended to allow private citizens to purchase prescription drugs from Canadian, Australian, British, Japanese, German and French retailers and transport them into the United States for private use.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 06:30:01 AM »

Thanks for that last part Sam, entering it at the same time as the other amendments saves discussing time. Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 06:51:40 AM »

uhm, then you have problems with the scandinavian countries, etc. I think 'approved countries' is better, myself.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 12:35:56 PM »

uhm, then you have problems with the scandinavian countries, etc. I think 'approved countries' is better, myself.

We certainly hate Sweden around these parts.  Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 03:59:02 PM »

There has been no discussion on Sam's amendments in over 24 hours, can we have a vote on them Gabu?

Damn I'm turning into Sam now! Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 04:20:25 PM »

Okay, I hereby open voting on these amendments:

5.  The programs in the federal budget, commonly known as "Medicare" and "Medicaid", and any grants or appropriations associated with said programs to assist in the payment of prescription drugs, shall not be used to supplement the payment of prescription drugs imported from foreign countries under the permits allowed by this legislation.

6.  Labels shall be attached to any and all prescription drugs imported into Atlasia and sold by retailers stating that said drugs have been imported from one of the countries listed in Section 1 of this bill, and have not been approved or safeguarded by the Food & Drug Administration for private usage or public sale.

7.  Per the restrictions listed in Section 6 of this bill, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) shall not be liable in any importation, sale, development, purchase, consumption, usage of imported drugs, or in any of the medical, physical or psychological effects of drugs permitted into Atlasia and purchased under the provisions of this bill.

Section 1 of this bill shall be amended to read:

Atlasian trade law shall be amended to allow private citizens to purchase prescription drugs from Canadian, Australian, British, Japanese, German and French retailers and transport them into the United States for private use.

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 04:22:03 PM »

Aye on both amendments.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 04:22:10 PM »

Aye on both.