Thoughts on Kasich not attending the GOP convention...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:38:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Thoughts on Kasich not attending the GOP convention...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Thoughts on Kasich not attending the GOP convention...  (Read 1037 times)
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:42:38 PM »

Kasich being the Governor of the RNC host state, do you think it's ok for him to bow out of attending the convention like he did?

In addition to Kasich heading up the host state, Governor Huckabee has been keen to point out that Kasich did in fact sign the pledge to support the eventual nominee, whoever that turned out to be. Folks made such a big deal about getting all the candidates to sign that thing, if they aren't going to honor their word, then why bother? I understand Kasich's not being comfortable with Donald Trump, and I fully supported Kasich's candidacy, but I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed with the way he's handling Trump's nomination.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:46:08 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2016, 06:59:26 PM by Seriously? »

I thought I heard rumblings on TV from the Ohio delegation was that Kasich was supposed to make an appearance at some point in the arena. The jury may still be out on Kasich showing up. Whether he endorses Trump on the other hand remains an open question.

Him not showing up though wreaks of sore loserism.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »

I'm glad to see that Kasich rejected the "Trump /IS Dense" campaign.
Why support a candidate who conducts himself like a clown.
Why destroy your image supporting someone attached to words such as Hate, Bigotry, Racism and Xenophobia.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »

Why destroy your image supporting someone attached to words such as Hate, Bigotry, Racism and Xenophobia.

Because every candidate pledged to support the party's nominee. Withdrawing from that promise like Bush, Cruz and Kasich have up until now is in poor form.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:57:40 PM »

After Manafort spent the morning bashing Kasich on Morning Joe and then again at a press breakfast, I think any chance of a coming together is out the window.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:03:41 PM »

I am disappointed in him as he went back on his pledge. I formerly supported him but not anymore. I now have coalesced around Trump.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »

Because every candidate pledged to support the party's nominee. Withdrawing from that promise like Bush, Cruz and Kasich have up until now is in poor form.

The pledge(s) meant very little to trump, even after he signed them.
trump took the pledge so seriously, that he allowed himself "wiggle room" to reject the agreement based on some ridiculous notion that ... "so long as Republicans treated him fairly.”
So why should any of the other candidates not also have "wiggle room" ?
"What is good for the goose, is good for the gander."
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:05:33 PM »

I don't think it has anything to do with "sore loser". I would do the same thing Kasich is doing since I could never in a million years vote for or support a candidate like Trump.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 07:07:14 PM »

I don't think it has anything to do with "sore loser". I would do the same thing Kasich is doing since I could never in a million years vote for or support a candidate like Trump.
His state is hosting the convention for crying out loud. If it were the Democrats, he would as heck be there, at minimum, to welcome the delegates. The fact he is NOT there showcases his sore loserism.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »

His state is hosting the convention for crying out loud. If it were the Democrats, he would as heck be there, at minimum, to welcome the delegates. The fact he is NOT there showcases his sore loserism.

I does not "showcase any sore loserism."
What it does showcase is that trump is so toxic, that anyone with half-a-brain, knows to stay away.
If anything, it showcases that Kasich is honorable to normal standards, and better ethics and moral standing, compared to that orange-haired clown.
Redban

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »

His conduct is shameful. Obviously, it means that he broke his pledge, which signifies dishonesty; but he's also hurting numerous people who are running for mayor, governor, house representative, and senator. Polls show that only 5% of people split their ballots between parties, so fewer votes for Trump entails fewer votes for all Republicans nationwide.

For the sake of the party, Kasich should support Trump.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »

Trump on the phone to OReilly just now says "he lost very very badly and maybe if I lost that badly, I wouldn't show up either."
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 07:35:29 PM »

the stubby-fingered rapist was the first to back out of the pledge, guys. your talking point is nonsense, as usual.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »

As someone who liked Kasich, I am definitely very disappointed in him. But I am not disappointed in him over skipping the Convention (although I hope Trump allows him to show up and welcome the delegates, as the Governor of OH); and I am certainly NOT disappointed that he won't endorse Trump.

What I am disappointed about is that he dropped out, when he did. Since that time Trump has done one stupidity after another, and Kasich staying in would at least have presented an alternative!

Well, I guess, it's water under the bridge right now.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »

Good move. If you pledge to do something stupid and later realize that stupidity, you shouldn't just do the stupid action to keep your word. The GOP won't be fixed unless more people start pushing back.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »

I am disappointed in him as he went back on his pledge. I formerly supported him but not anymore. I now have coalesced around Trump.

Trump himself said back in March that the pledge no longer applies:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-nominee-pledge/
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 08:39:21 PM »

I think the pledge is nullified when the nominee goes off the deep end like Trump has.
If Trump had won but hadnt behaved the way he has and said the things he said then I would agree that a pledge is a pledge and shouldnt be broken. This is an extreme situation though and I find it perfectly reasonable to back away from it. Trump himself was always wishy washy on it anyway.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 08:52:45 PM »

Good move. If you pledge to do something stupid and later realize that stupidity, you shouldn't just do the stupid action to keep your word. The GOP won't be fixed unless more people start pushing back.

Are you saying that Kasich didn't realize what Donald Trump was all about? No, he knew exactly what Trump is about, but he along with everyone else (myself included) could never have predicted that Trump would end up as last man standing. So I guess future such pledges should read something like "I pledge to support the party nominee, unless I don't like the nominee or the nominee does/says stupid things, in which case I'll stay home and not be bothered".

Trump himself said back in March that the pledge no longer applies:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-nominee-pledge/

So again, I'm confused: why put a pledge like this in place at all, and make such a big deal about getting everybody to sign it? I seem to recall Trump saying that the pledge was pointless, and he was given all kinds of grief about saying that. He signs it, and so do all the other Republican candidates, but it sure appears as though Trump was right in thinking that the document was pointless. Typical politics, I suppose...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »

Are you saying that Kasich didn't realize what Donald Trump was all about? No, he knew exactly what Trump is about, but he along with everyone else (myself included) could never have predicted that Trump would end up as last man standing. So I guess future such pledges should read something like "I pledge to support the party nominee, unless I don't like the nominee or the nominee does/says stupid things, in which case I'll stay home and not be bothered".

Yeah, I think pledges like that in general are stupid, but pretty much nobody expected this.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 10:21:07 PM »

There's no obligation for officeholders to support the nominee of their party. So this is what he should do if the party has a terrible pick.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »

He was in Cleveland, three blocks from the Q center during the floor fight on rules. He was a guest of the IL delegation.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »

Kasich being the Governor of the RNC host state, do you think it's ok for him to bow out of attending the convention like he did?

In addition to Kasich heading up the host state, Governor Huckabee has been keen to point out that Kasich did in fact sign the pledge to support the eventual nominee, whoever that turned out to be. Folks made such a big deal about getting all the candidates to sign that thing, if they aren't going to honor their word, then why bother? I understand Kasich's not being comfortable with Donald Trump, and I fully supported Kasich's candidacy, but I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed with the way he's handling Trump's nomination.
He wouldn't have gotten a speaking slot unless he endorsed Trump beforehand. That would be humiliating and wrong for the home state governor who also happens to be the third place finisher in the primaries.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 12:14:57 AM »

He was in Cleveland, three blocks from the Q center during the floor fight on rules. He was a guest of the IL delegation.

There. He's shown up. Good enough. Grin
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 12:17:14 AM »

I disagree with Kasich on plenty of issues, but his refusal to give in to Priebus and Trump proves that he's a principled and honorable person.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 12:18:30 AM »

Very proud of him for actually sticking to his principles.  Hopefully he is rewarded for it in 2020.  I gained so much respect for the man.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies