Congressman: only WHITE people have ever contributed to civilization (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:13:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congressman: only WHITE people have ever contributed to civilization (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressman: only WHITE people have ever contributed to civilization  (Read 4605 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: July 18, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »

I don't have the full quote's context, so I won't make any judgments. "Western civilization" is not a proxy word for "whites". Defending the honor and the unique accomplishments of Western civilization is something that we don't do enough of.

Steve King does plenty of crazy things, but I didn't really bat an eye when I heard him say this.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:14:33 PM »

I would merely note that Congressman Steve King said this in response to questions about the lack of diversity at the RNC. So basically he said there were hardly any black delegates because other races have not contributed as much (anything) to the United States/Western civilization.
Thank you for the context. In that case, it looks like a desperate attempt to claw himself out of a hole he dug himself. To suggest that blacks, who have been a central part of the American experience since its founding, are not part of Western civilization is inaccurate and thinly-veiled racism.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »

Ugh people need to actually learn theories of history- not just their High School History. People need to read Andre Frank, and understand that Asia ( as others have said on here, especially China) contributed to society. Get rid of your historical lenses people
Yet we brought the mighty Chinese dragon to its knees, and Western hegemony in the world order still exists and is not going anywhere for a while. There is a reason why non-Western countries have adopted so much from the West in the past two centuries with little going in the other direction other than perhaps food and Japanese manufacturing practices. We should celebrate the miracle of Western civilization and our continued dominance in world affairs.

However, Steve King was not asked a question about Western civilization, he was asked a question about the lack of racial diversity among the RNC delegates. Instead of giving a simple answer like "America is a majority-white country", he gave a bizarre answer which could either be interpreted as thinly-veiled racism or simply completely off-topic.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:28:38 PM »

I'd go so far as to say there are more elected *moderate* Republicans (especially governors) than *moderate* Democrats.
We all know that. RINOs are endangered, DINOs are extinct.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies