Question for Never Trump Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:20:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Never Trump Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Never Trump Republicans  (Read 1900 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: July 18, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »

Hillary is going to win, and yes she'll be a bad President.  However, Trump is damaging my party beyond repair, and it's plssing me off.  Many of Trump's supporters just want an outlet to be bigots and be proud of it and couldn't care less about the Republican Party.  I will be voting for Johnson.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:42:13 AM »

Why would you want to identify with a political party where Trump supporters are at least 40 percent of the party?

We can talk about how absolutely despicable Donald Trump and the 44% of Republicans who support him are, but what does that say about the other 56% of Republicans who are willing to share a tent with such people?

Why would Northern liberals in the '30s want to identify with a party that was at least 40% segregationists?  Because they weren't going to give up the fight.  They believed in their party's economic message way more than the GOP.  They thought that the views of the Dixiecrats would eventually die out, and they were willing to fight for what they believed the Democratic Party could and should be.

If you don't see things that way, fine, be an independent, we're all very impressed with how you're not associated with anyone, etc., but you don't have to constantly talk about it every time I post.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »

The Republican Party is committing nothing short of malpractice tonight.

The fact that they are creating a possibility that someone of Donald Trump's qualifications, character and temperament would be in charge of the United States of America and given "The Football" among other things is really the last straw.

The minimum bar a political party must meet is nominating a candidate who is qualified to do the job. Every single candidate from either major party in recent history has met that test. Not all were "great" candidates or even very admirable people, but none would be a threat to national security if they were in the Oval Office. All the flameout candidates - McGovern, Mondale, Goldwater, Landon - would have been competent, regardless of whether you agreed with their policies.

The Republican Party proved itself incapable this year of meeting even that very basic bar.

And no, they aren't going to get to "whip out the Etch-a-Sketch" in 2020 and pretend that none of this ever happened.

We'll see.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »

Why would you want to identify with a political party where Trump supporters are at least 40 percent of the party?

We can talk about how absolutely despicable Donald Trump and the 44% of Republicans who support him are, but what does that say about the other 56% of Republicans who are willing to share a tent with such people?

We live, unfortunately, in a two party system.  If we all become independents, we give up any say in the shaping of these two parties.  If we all become Democrats, we let Trump and his ilk control half of the national discourse in this country (even if they receive well below half of the vote).

We stick around, we organize, we vote in future primaries, and we vote in the general (mostly for Democrats), until we throw out Trump, everyone who endorsed Trump, everyone who supports Trump, and every single cowardly politician who may privately hate Trump but refuses to speak out against him for reasons of political expediency.

This is the moral test of our generation, and all but a handful of Republican officeholders and candidates have failed it.  So we vote for Democrats and pick up the pieces in 2018.

I do understand how ludicrous this is; if I thought a third party or the destruction of the Republican party were considerably more viable, I would advocate those options instead.

This.  Being an independent is worthless, sorry.

Also, my huge issues with Trump don't in any way warm me to the Democratic Party.  I'm a socially moderate, pro-business Republican who dislikes populism, and - despite what delusional red avatars said here - that view set is comically out of line with the Democratic Party of 2016, too.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

We live, unfortunately, in a two party system.  If we all become independents, we give up any say in the shaping of these two parties.  If we all become Democrats, we let Trump and his ilk control half of the national discourse in this country (even if they receive well below half of the vote).

We stick around, we organize, we vote in future primaries, and we vote in the general (mostly for Democrats), until we throw out Trump, everyone who endorsed Trump, everyone who supports Trump, and every single cowardly politician who may privately hate Trump but refuses to speak out against him for reasons of political expediency.

This is the moral test of our generation, and all but a handful of Republican officeholders and candidates have failed it.  So we vote for Democrats and pick up the pieces in 2018.

I do understand how ludicrous this is; if I thought a third party or the destruction of the Republican party were considerably more viable, I would advocate those options instead.

This.  Being an independent is worthless, sorry.

Also, my huge issues with Trump don't in any way warm me to the Democratic Party.  I'm a socially moderate, pro-business Republican who dislikes populism, and - despite what delusional red avatars said here - that view set is comically out of line with the Democratic Party of 2016, too.

Being registered Republican only matters if you live in a closed primary state. Neither of you do.

Besides, registration is different from self identification anyway.

I live in Iowa now, actually.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »

K, bro.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »

Hillary is pro free trade, pro immigration. and an internationalist, which are most of my core tenants anyway. I just wish she were pro life and pro gun rights.

Yeah, no she's literally not.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »

Hillary is going to win, and yes she'll be a bad President.  However, Trump is damaging my party beyond repair, and it's plssing me off.  Many of Trump's supporters just want an outlet to be bigots and be proud of it and couldn't care less about the Republican Party.  I will be voting for Johnson.

I love that you insist on calling it "your" party as though you and the ten people who like Jeb! Bush have some birthright to overrule the millions of Trumpists and those who at least view Trump as acceptable.

All you ever do is complain about 99% of what the Republican Party says and does anyway. It's not 1957 anymore - there's no "social elite" status conferred on you by being a Republican.

I'll just leave this here, too, and I direct you to the lobbying section:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Chamber_of_Commerce

The American business community still HEAVILY favors the GOP, and that's not going to change because Trump won a divided field.  Obama and Congressional Democrats especially have been no friends of the COC, and Republican candidates in 2016 will still get more money from the private sector than Democrats all up and down the ballot.

Whatever you want to call these types of Republicans, I'll admit they'll have a fight ahead of them, but they always have; replacing Trumpists with Bush-era religious right types isn't that giant of a development.  These people aren't leaving the GOP - still clearly their natural home, as you're not going to have a Democratic candidate calling for lower taxes and less regulation ANY time soon - and they are CERTAINLY not going to become Democrats.

As much as it bothers Derpist or whatever the hell his name is, groups like the Chamber of Commerce still donate the HUGE majority of their funds to Republicans.  The national mood moving "left" on trade and economics in general does not provide an incentive for the Democrats to move right, as they initiated this leftward shift in the first place!  This future of protectionist and populist Republicans vs. upscale globalist, pro-business Democrats simply isn't going to happen.  Period.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies